Quirks of the 97 model

I'm not sure if it's a SE thing or if it's a 97 only thing but my TJ only had a courtesy light on the drivers side. The plug was available on the passenger side but there wasn't a socket.

Its an SE thing… my wrecked SE had one on drivers side but had a plug on right… I got one from deadjeep…my new 97 Sport has one on both sides…

Reactions: Wildman
I ditched the bracket and everything and just put in a self adhesive led strip light.

-Mac

Now that I have a light on each side I'm glad I added it. Makes a big difference at night. Plus with the lights in the speaker pods I might actually see at night.

Edit: In the theme of this thread. The courtesy light socket from what I've been able to find was a 1997 only thing. For 1998-2006 the socket was changed to something different.

I know you talked about the bulb being different but the courtesy light socket is a YJ hold over also. And I'm not sure if it's a SE thing or if it's a 97 only thing but my TJ only had a courtesy light on the drivers side. The plug was available on the passenger side but there wasn't a socket.

View attachment 437332

The covers once they become faded are doubly worthless than they are new. I did find a NICE LED bulb that fits.

VehiCode Low Voltage 12-24v 67 89 98 1003 5007 5008 R10W LED Light Bulb (Daylight White) 1156 1141 BA15S Single Contact for RV Camper Interior Vanity Porch Dome Outdoor Landscape Light (4 Pack)​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VMFRPNX/?tag=wranglerorg-20

And it Looks good in the socket also.

View attachment 437333

With the old incandescent light it's a dull off White light.

View attachment 437335

With the LED bulb installed it's a LOT nicer & brighter light.

View attachment 437336

Ooh. I'll have to order some of those LEDs. I just used the same LEDs I put in the reverse light. The plug is the same. But yours is way better.

Mine has it on both sides. But mine's a sport with all the fancy stuff. Tumble passenger and driver seats. AC. Adjustable steering wheel. Did I mention AC that still miraculous works?

Ooh. I'll have to order some of those LEDs. I just used the same LEDs I put in the reverse light. The plug is the same. But yours is way better.

Mine has it on both sides. But mine's a sport with all the fancy stuff. Tumble passenger and driver seats. AC. Adjustable steering wheel. Did I mention AC that still miraculous works?

I pulled my A/C when I did the V-8 swap. There are times I miss it.

I know you talked about the bulb being different but the courtesy light socket is a YJ hold over also. And I'm not sure if it's a SE thing or if it's a 97 only thing but my TJ only had a courtesy light on the drivers side. The plug was available on the passenger side but there wasn't a socket.

View attachment 437332

The covers once they become faded are doubly worthless than they are new. I did find a NICE LED bulb that fits.

VehiCode Low Voltage 12-24v 67 89 98 1003 5007 5008 R10W LED Light Bulb (Daylight White) 1156 1141 BA15S Single Contact for RV Camper Interior Vanity Porch Dome Outdoor Landscape Light (4 Pack)​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VMFRPNX/?tag=wranglerorg-20

And it Looks good in the socket also.

View attachment 437333

With the old incandescent light it's a dull off White light.

View attachment 437335

With the LED bulb installed it's a LOT nicer & brighter light.

View attachment 437336

Nice, thanks. I updated the original post with a link to yours.

@97JadeTJ, mine is a 97 SE, and I have that same YJ-style courtesy light on both the driver and passenger sides. Maybe it changed somewhere in the 96–97 production line.

I do have AC, but I wish I had an adjustable steering wheel.

I actually like that my driver's seat doesn't tumble. I think it's that little bit of room that lets me fit my PS-8 sub under there.

I case anybody runs into problems with their charcoal canister the fix is the VC120 from AutoZone… that’s the only replacement and place I could find it… I ordered it yesterday and picked it up today, $90!… uses the same bracket but you have to bend the point over for it to lay flat…

I case anybody runs into problems with their charcoal canister the fix is the VC120 from AutoZone… that’s the only replacement and place I could find it… I ordered it yesterday and picked it up today, $90!… uses the same bracket but you have to bend the point over for it to lay flat…

Can you post a picture of it please?

@Wildman

New one (VC120) on the left original on the right
1688335933161.jpeg

Tab that must be bent over for new one to fit
1688336023872.jpeg

New one installed
1688336078177.png

1688336117940.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodrow and SSTJ
I do have AC, but I wish I had an adjustable steering wheel.

I actually like that my driver's seat doesn't tumble. I think it's that little bit of room that lets me fit my PS-8 sub under there.

I think I found a sub that fits with the tumble. When I have a free weekend I will confirm!

Last summer we just thought we were having a good time riding around in the old SE with the top down sweating our asses off… The new sport has A/C, a hardtop and hard doors… I‘m not gonna miss the soft top!

I find the hard top faster to take off than the soft top anyway. We don't get as crazy hot where I am. But spider shade, tube doors and AC are how we usually cruise during the summer.

Thanks. I may need this actually. I'm about to troubleshoot an EVAP code, mentioned here.

Is this replacement a 97 thing, or just for all early years like 97–02, etc?

Can you post a picture of it please?
Thanks. I may need this actually. I'm about to troubleshoot an EVAP code, mentioned here.

Is this replacement a 97 thing, or just for all early years like 97–02, etc?

Yea the p0441 is incorrect purge flow… could be the gas cap but if not it’s the charcoal canister and/or the purge valve… what happens is that over the years the charcoal breaks down into small pieces in the canister and get sucked into the purge valve and stops it up… I ran into this same problem when I got my first 97 and the new canister and purge valve solved the problem… I‘m not sure what years they used this particular canister but I know they changed it to a rectangular shaped one and then moved it to the rear of the jeep behind the tail lights…

Reactions: Wildman and SSTJ