REAL WORLD COMPARISON: OEM Anti-Sway Bar w/ Disconnects vs. Antirock Off-Road Sway Bar vs. SwayLOC Dual Rate Anti Swaybar System

That's where good shocks come into play. With my compression adjusters and the SwayLOC set between both extremes, the Jeep is dramatically a different vehicle.

No doubt a set of tuned shocks can really help the on-highway performance of an Antirock, perhaps even a set of appropriately valved off-the-shelf shocks. I can only imagine the improvement with a SwayLOC and good shocks.

However, it seems to me that spending $100 per corner for upgraded production shocks or $400 per corner for tuned shocks in an attempt to make an Antirock perform almost as well as a SwayLOC on the highway is an expensive way to rationalize/justify/make the best of a purchase decision vs. spending $250 more than the cost of an Antirock to get the SwayLOC in the first place.

@psrivats may be the smartest one in the room. He went straight from factory to the SwayLOC with no Antirock in between.

Last edited:
That's where good shocks come into play. With my compression adjusters and the SwayLOC set between both extremes, the Jeep is dramatically a different vehicle.

I found this out on the first test drive with mrblaine. DSCs in combination with the SwayLOC made the LJ corner so flat it was incredible.

No doubt a set of tuned shocks can really help the on-highway performance of an Antirock, perhaps even a set of appropriately valved off-the-shelf shocks. I can only imagine the improvement with a SwayLOC and good shocks.
Well, it is the same eye opening epiphany as what you just experienced with the install of the SL.
However, it seems to me that spending $100 per corner for upgraded production shocks or $400 per corner for tuned shocks in an attempt to make an Antirock perform almost as well as a SwayLOC on the highway is an expensive way to rationalize/justify/make the best of a purchase decision vs. spending $250 more than the cost of an Antirock to get the SwayLOC in the first place.
If you were trying to do so to make the AR work I'd sorta agree. If you were trying to do so to take your rig to the best performing level you can, then not so much.
@psrivats may be the smartest one in the room. He went straight from factory to the SwayLOC with no Antirock in between.
Oh, I don't know about all of that, someone had to figure out how to switch between two rates.

Different solutions to overlapping problems. Both of which compliment each other.

Oh, I don't know about all of that, someone had to figure out how to switch between two rates.

I'm not counting you. It takes one kind of smarts to design but different smarts to know which of several alternatives is actually the best buy with all factors considered.

I feel it's a better idea to let the antiswaybars do what they are supposed to instead of banking too much on shocks to take up more of roll control, esp on the hwy.

Reactions: bobthetj03

I am merely a consumer .. credit goes to the originator of the idea and his well written thoughts on the subject for helping me make an informed decision.

Reactions: MikeE024
I feel it's a better idea to let the antiswaybars do what they are supposed to instead of banking too much on shocks to take up more of roll control, esp on the hwy.

We could very easily go down the road of comparing shock tunes.

. . . it seems to me that spending $100 per corner for upgraded production shocks or $400 per corner for tuned shocks in an attempt to make an Antirock perform almost as well as a SwayLOC on the highway is an expensive way to rationalize/justify/make the best of a purchase decision vs. spending $250 more than the cost of an Antirock to get the SwayLOC in the first place.

If you were trying to do so to make the AR work I'd sorta agree. If you were trying to do so to take your rig to the best performing level you can, then not so much.

I am addressing the first instance.

Many online defenders of the Antirock's on-highway performance in relation to the SwayLOC, some of whom have a personal objection to using a SwayLOC, cite the improvement in street handling that will result from combining the Antirock with better shocks. I'm simply pointing out that making those improvements for the sake of improving Antirock on-highway performance vs. buying a SwayLOC in the first place is a false economy.

Shocks are still on my list, somewhere just above or just below the improved rear anti-sway bar you and I discussed.

I like my Antirock on the road more than a stock. The ride is nicer with the Antirock. I still have the stock rear swaybar and a slightly higher trackbar helps reduce roll too.

I like my Antirock on the road more than a stock. The ride is nicer with the Antirock. I still have the stock rear swaybar and a slightly higher trackbar helps reduce roll too.
This is how I feel as well. I actually prefer the Antirock on-road over the factory sway bar. Maybe I am nuts?

Different solutions to overlapping problems. Both of which compliment each other.

I might be one of the only on this forum who have had the opportunity to drive thousands of miles with everything in this thread along with varying levels of shocks all the way up to best of the best $900/corner.

The most relevant example of what you're saying is the comparison between my wife's khaki TJ and my red LJ.

The khaki TJ has RR 2.0s with a custom tune and a SwayLoc. The SwayLoc was a great upgrade and you can tell the difference between the street and offroad torsion bar setting.

The red LJ has 2.5s in the rear, 2.0s in the front. DSCs on each corner. Custom tune from the same guy who tuned the khaki TJ. I don't have a desire for the SwayLoc on this Jeep. Also, the ride quality and control is significantly improved on the highway and offroad because of the better shocks. So I gained a lot more than just not needing a dual rate sway bar.