REAL WORLD COMPARISON: OEM Anti-Sway Bar w/ Disconnects vs. Antirock Off-Road Sway Bar vs. SwayLOC Dual Rate Anti Swaybar System

Reactions: Daryl
I feel it's a better idea to let the antiswaybars do what they are supposed to instead of banking too much on shocks to take up more of roll control, esp on the hwy.
Why? You aren't banking on anything. You either tune the shocks or you don't. If you do, then why not tune them to do what shocks do? That would be like putting a monstrous flutter in and the driving up the compression for higher shaft speed and depending on the flutter to not kill you on anything other than coarse pavement.

Make it all work together and you aren't depending on single point solutions.

Given the positivity of the OP's review and the numerous other positive somments about the Swayloc it would be interesting to year if there is a con beyond the additional cost.
If you leave it in the firmer street position and flex it out (like off road) you'll damage it.

I've also had an issue if too much dirt and grime builds up I can unlock it (go into the offroad position) but I can't get it back into the locked (street) position. Washing the locking mechanism with a bottle of water cures the ailment.

I'd also like to see it in an aluminum option because rust=ugly and their powder coating isn't the highest of quality.

I'm happy with the current RockJock Anti-Rock, but I've driven around for months with no sway bar and only been annoyed at 60mp+ on the highway. I've also driven for years with the sway bar. I was running the stock sway bar just before I went to the AR, and I put it on the farthest back hole (like @Jerry Bransford) at a 12.5" angle (which doesn't touch my fenders at full bump) and it seems as stiff as stock to me (on-road), and far less sway (off-road). I'm sure SL is better in some respects, but there are caveats, and I'm just not that OCD.

I'm happy with the current RockJock Anti-Rock, but I've driven around for months with no sway bar and only been annoyed at 60mp+ on the highway. I've also driven for years with the sway bar. I was running the stock sway bar just before I went to the AR, and I put it on the farthest back hole (like @Jerry Bransford) at a 12.5" angle (which doesn't touch my fenders at full bump) and it seems as stiff as stock to me (on-road), and far less sway (off-road). I'm sure SL is better in some respects, but there are caveats, and I'm just not that OCD.
Exactly, well said.

If you ever get a chance to drive a TJ set up like mine or either of Tox's, make it happen.

Reactions: JMT and NashvilleTJ
I guess if you already run with the AntiRock the switching cost is the full cost of the SwayLoc (less anything you might be able to get by selling the used AntiRock) and for that people may need some convincing. But if you have neither then it is the incremental cost that is relevant and so the benefits need to be less to swing you in favour of the SwayLoc.

You mention that there "are caveats" regarding the SwayLoc, it would be really helpful to a newbie like me if you can expand on what you are referring to.

Last edited:
^^ Fake news. I am afraid that someone is trying to stir up an issue that doesn't exist.

Re-read this passage from post #1, including the highlighted portion, the accuracy of which has been verified with the subject.

. . . Further reading [on the Internet] suggests that the business relationship between Mr. Johnson and the licensee of the design didn’t work out as planned and that Off Road Only had customer service issues related to ongoing changes/improvements in the product during the first few years after release. However, that same search will reveal that despite those issues, and despite the business relationship that hasn’t worked out as planned, Blaine Johnson still believes in the design and regularly uses the ORO SwayLOC in his jeep builds. In fact, it was Blaine Johnson who commented that my first reaction after installing a SwayLOC would be to wonder why I had waited so long to buy one and it was Blaine who was instrumental in a SwayLOC arriving at my doorstep.

Reactions: Don Ashcraft