REAL WORLD COMPARISON: OEM Anti-Sway Bar w/ Disconnects vs. Antirock Off-Road Sway Bar vs. SwayLOC Dual Rate Anti Swaybar System

Do we need an emotional support group for the Antirock owners who feel left behind in SwayLOC discussions?

I am sensing defensiveness and justification of prior and anticipated future Antirock purchase decisions that is quite unnecessary.

As noted throughout this thread by multiple posters, the Antirock and the SwayLOC are both good products with different design parameters. Wanting or not wanting the additional capabilities of the SwayLOC is a personal decision that has nothing to do with one's character or the "manliness" of one's jeep.

The SwayLOC is everything we like about the Antirock combined with something that performs better than the factory sway bar.

There. That's the entire point of this thread distilled to one sentence.

Now can we move on to something important? Like where to mount that Hi-Lift jack or which fire extinguisher is currently de rigueur.

Last edited:
Do we need an emotional support group for the Antirock owners who feel left behind in SwayLOC discussions?

I am sensing defensiveness and justification of prior and anticipated future Antirock purchase decisions that is quite unnecessary.

As noted throughout this thread by multiple posters, the Antirock and the SwayLOC are both good products with different design parameters. Wanting or not wanting the additional capabilities of the SwayLOC is a personal decision that has nothing to do with one's character or the "manliness" of one's jeep.

There are a few in my immediate circle who have wondered about the SwayLOC. I think a Jeep that is mostly a weekend trail rig has less to gain over an Antirock. A daily driver that is also a trail rig is in a different category.

Ultimately, one needs to weigh their road time and what they want from the Jeep during that road time.

And to repeat this again, shocks also play a significant role in how well an Antirock behaves on the street. I daily drove mine for many years with an outboard and a good tune. I wasn't complaining.

In my case, the improved retune and the prospect of finally getting the fronts done is what motivated me to further persue the prospect of a TJ on 35s that might keep up with a sports car on the twist and turns. That feels like a very enjoyable Jeep to have.

Last edited:
So where do the Teraflex offerings sit in all this? And how about the Skyjacker offering? Any benefits to justify what look like higher prices?

Is the SJ a dual rate? I know they have one that is nothing more than a fancy $1000 disconnect.

Last edited:
Is the SJ a dual rate? I know they have one that is nothing more than a fancy $1000 disconnect.
Not sure exactly how it works, but from Quadratec descriptions sounds like you are right, but it is $500. Teraflex have two versions, one is dual rate, but that is very close to $1000. Unless there is some benefit to them why even bother offering them if the price point is so far adrift?

Not sure exactly how it works, but from Quadratec descriptions sounds like you are right, but it is $500. Teraflex have two versions, one is dual rate, but that is very close to $1000. Unless there is some benefit to them why even bother offering them if the price point is so far adrift?
One thing I see on the TF copy is that the locking mechanism is very different than the SL. It looks like it would result in a lot of unwanted movement between the inner and outer arms.

Last edited:
And that tells me everything.

That makes you sound like you think your Jeep handles like a Corvette.

I slept on it last night and still can't figure out the Physics of the Swayloc's ability to be softer than stock on wash boards and be stiffer than a stock sway bar? Did I read that wrong?

I don't have any confidence with no sway bar. It was scary at times. Fast turns off camber turns were dangerous on the road. I have not had any problems on the road with an Antirock, but my setup has more rear roll stiffness. Aggressive driving just adds a little lean. I think there is a reason you see rear Antirocks on triangulated 4 links.

Where do I sign up for the support group, LOL.

Reactions: DrDmoney
So, If I am getting this correct, My Antirock is bueno for my rig (trailered and offroad only). But, I should probably keep my stock bar incase it becomes my daily driver.

I also learned (while testing my LSC's) that a full clockwise turn on the adjuster knobs really has an effect on body roll. Rough but stiff.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney
The Skyjacker RockLock is a torsen bar like the Anti-Rock with a hub on one end that you turn and disconnects the swaybar. So it's like having disconnect links.

Skyjacker® RockLock Sway Bar Disconnect System 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ LJ JFSBA10 | eBay

1612139092660.png

1612139114301.png

1612139129170.png

1612139145059.png

The TeraFlex kit id more like the SwayLoc but the disconnect is a LOT different.

TJ: Dual-Rate ST Front Sway Bar System (0-3” Lift) - TeraFlex

1612138689269.png

And then as was already mentioned TeraFlex makes a single rate kit also with just their Street Bar.

TJ: Single-Rate ST Front Sway Bar System (0-3” Lift) - TeraFlex

1612138900785.png

And TeraFlex also makes a rear bar similar to a rear Anti-Rock.

TJ: Trail-Rate ST Rear Sway Bar Kit (4-6” Lift) - TeraFlex

1612138986123.png

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and DrDmoney
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
That makes you sound like you think your Jeep handles like a Corvette.

Not my words. But I would think you would appreciate the endeavor.

I slept on it last night and still can't figure out the Physics of the Swayloc's ability to be softer than stock on wash boards and be stiffer than a stock sway bar? Did I read that wrong?

You didn't read that wrong.

I also learned (while testing my LSC's) that a full clockwise turn on the adjuster knobs really has an effect on body roll. Rough but stiff.

That is a shame. I run my adjusters cranked up most of the time without any roughness.

I don't have one, but if I read it correctly it is simply that it has two anti-sway bars, one for off road, one for on road. So the physics is not that complex, just the different properties of two different anti-sway bars you can switch between. Dead simple once somebody else has thought of it and worked out how to do it.

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
I don't have one, but if I read it correctly it is simply that it has two anti-sway bars, one for off road, one for on road. So the physics is not that complex, just the different properties of two different anti-sway bars you can switch between. Dead simple once somebody else has thought of it and worked out how to do it.

I fully understand how the dual mode works. The part I don't understand how in street mode it is softer off road and stiffer on the road.

You are not really switching between two different swaybars, just two different rates. When it is disconnected for trail use, it is reacting against an AR size offroad swaybar. When you connect it for on road use, it combines the inner and outer swaybars for a higher rate than either bar alone. Someone needs to design a triple rate disconnect so we can really confuse folks.

Mine ended at 8º up. I could have went level without issue, but The rods would have needed cutting. I could have cut a 1/4" off each end but it is fine. I screwed the heims all the way in and backed off three full turns. Plenty of up and down travel.

001(219).jpg

001(218).jpg

001(217).jpg

Last edited: