Recommended Electrical Connectors?

Another question for the group:

Why butt connectors instead of "parallel" connectors? If I understand correctly, a butt connector (whether split, brazed, or solid barrel) doesn't allow the two ends of the wire to come into contact with each other. Instead, the connector itself is the conduit between them. But a parallel connector, or an open-barrel connector, would allow the wires to be in direct contact with each other, even allowing for some solder if needed. Isn't a direct connection always better?
As Blaine said parallel are bulky. Open barrel are not but they are incredibly difficult to do in tight quarters compared to a butt connector.

Reactions: SSTJ
As Blaine said parallel are bulky. Open barrel are not but they are incredibly difficult to do in tight quarters compared to a butt connector.

Got it, thanks. And I guess that if trusting the butt connector to be a good conduit was actually a bad idea, we would have learned that by now.

Got it, thanks. And I guess that if trusting the butt connector to be a good conduit was actually a bad idea, we would have learned that by now.
I use non insulated so I can ensure a good crimp. Heat shrink butt connectors are a thing I don’t agree with. It’s difficult to get a good crimp without compromising the heat shrink.

I prefer Molex brand for non insulated butt connectors and use their crimping plier made for the connectors. I find that ironic because I hate working with Molex connectors.

I use non insulated so I can ensure a good crimp. Heat shrink butt connectors are a thing I don’t agree with. It’s difficult to get a good crimp without compromising the heat shrink.
Use the Del City heat shrink butt connectors with the staking side of the crimp tool. Even if you manage to punch through the heat shrink, the adhesive seals the hole without any adverse damage to the connection whatsoever.

It is exactly the same crimp as a non insulated, I promise.

Reactions: JMT
Use the Del City heat shrink butt connectors with the staking side of the crimp tool. Even if you manage to punch through the heat shrink, the adhesive seals the hole without any adverse damage to the connection whatsoever.

It is exactly the same crimp as a non insulated, I promise.
The crimpers i use will destroy the heat shrink but Ill try some this weekend as a test.

If you want to save some coin, browse Waytek Wire. they sell the perma seal heat shrink butt connectors for almost 1/3 the price of del city.

https://www.waytekwire.com/wps/port...MIQqwGNGJNAN5jhNCDYFOxKvgoLcCIMsU4t0AM38bfU!/

I don't want to save coin, I want to use heat shrink butt connectors that you can't hurt the insulation on, so I do.
They did well with the standard crimping pliers. Still far too bulky for my likings. You should try the perma seal butt connectors. I believe it’s a much thinner heat shrink.

E9FDBD76-F5AF-4DF9-B0CC-D07A2805328C.jpeg

They did well with the standard crimping pliers. Still far too bulky for my likings. You should try the perma seal butt connectors. I believe it’s a much thinner heat shrink.

View attachment 328670
I don't use them where I am worried about bulk. I use them where I need a sealed connection and bulk doesn't matter and I know how to stagger them in a 2-5 wire harness so they don't cause an issue. If I have a bulk problem to solve, I use uninsulated barrels and adhesive lined heat shrink.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Good information in this thread. I have a mess of electrical work that I'd like to redo this year and really clean things up. I'd like to get everything in loom as well and my relays all in one area.

I just placed my order at Del City. For now, just butt connectors and heat shrink and "thrifty" wire spools. Couldn't afford to get 100 each of the other connectors, because there are so many variations (10 gauge ring for a #8 stud, 12 gauge ring for a #8 stud, 12 gauge ring for a #8 stud, 12 gauge ring for a #8 stud, etc. etc.).

Maybe next time I'll start a thread to see who wants to go in on a big Del City order, then divvy it all up.

Good information in this thread. I have a mess of electrical work that I'd like to redo this year and really clean things up. I'd like to get everything in loom as well and my relays all in one area.

I started another thread recently for pics of aux panel locations. I'm also preparing to re-do all my wiring at some point.

Reactions: JMT
I started another thread recently for pics of aux panel locations. I'm also preparing to re-do all my wiring at some point.

Did you ever do a big order of Del City connectors?

Did you ever do a big order of Del City connectors?

I did order some basics: connectors of various sizes, and some of their smaller spools of wire, and some heat shrink. It was a bit pricey, but I don't do tons of electrical work, so it should last me a while. I'm about to start wiring some new fogs and aux reverse lights, so it'll go to good use.

I did order some basics: connectors of various sizes, and some of their smaller spools of wire, and some heat shrink. It was a bit pricey, but I don't do tons of electrical work, so it should last me a while. I'm about to start wiring some new fogs and aux reverse lights, so it'll go to good use.

Take a look at Sherco Automotive.

Do you use them instead of Del City for anything in particular? Let me know and I'll update the original post for others who come across this thread.

We are starting to use them more for the stuff that is equivalent quality to DC. I don't have a giant list yet but their brazed barrel or solid barrel butt connectors are top notch at far better prices. I also tried some samples of the translucent adhesive lined heat shrink and while still as bulky as the stuff from DC, it is far more economical.

Reactions: SSTJ