Red Dog's Revival Thread

03May2019

One year of being a grandpa :)

Things on track to replace at least the driver side fender tomorrow. If things work out and I get time to replace the passenger side I will, but given that I will be dealing with 22 year-old parts I'm going to play it "safe" for the time being and say (hopefully) I will get one side replaced each day this weekend.

If things go well, hoping to also swap out my passenger air bag cover with an Agate dark grey/black one sometime tomorrow as well and re-install the OEM Mist grab handle below it. That should give me the dark grey "T" on the dash I've been wanting for years (instrument gauge panel, center panel, air bag cover).

Also hoping that after I get the passenger fender replaced to be able to install my Big 7 cable upgrade while remounting things under the hood on that side. Not gonna' lie, it will feel good to have better cables and nice fenders again. As far as "big" items on my repair/to-do list I should be down to waiting on the Canyon rims to be refinished. Pretty much everything else on the list is either non-essential/cosmetic/"wants". Looking to replace brake pads & rotors when I switch over to the Canyons.

Took advantage of slightly warmer and definitely dryer weather this morning to at least get the Alien sunshade installed (even easier than reviews made it sound) and installed my barefoot gas pedal. If there was more time before work I'd go over the list and find something else I could do, but I do have a sense of progress for the morning even if it wasn't as much as I would prefer.

Still need to find a bandanna with a story behind it for transmission shifter, but for the most part have been able to find all the "little things" I've been looking for. Discovered earlier this week the grille guard I've been looking for is from the Tomb Raider Edition TJ's. Currently debating if I want to go back to OEM fog lights as I found there are in fact covers for them (also found a good deal on Craigslist for a set of the lights that would be cheaper than new KC direct replacements). Will see if they are still available in a couple weeks after the OT I have coming. On the fence about it all, so I guess time will tell. Spending multiple nights to think on it is a good thing (I still tend to make too many impulse buys even though I've managed to not do that as often).

Here's to what is supposed to be a beautiful Saturday 🙏

05May2019

Driver side fender and passenger dash/airbag cover installed :cool:

I officially dislike nutzerts with extreme prejudice... or at least trying to remove bolts from rusty nutzerts. Currently have quasi-faded OEM flares on the front fenders due to either rust or bed liner preventing the flare bolts from loosening enough to remove. Will figure something out and remove them (hopefully by the end of the week). In the meantime, I find I actually prefer going back to the OEM style vs pocket style flares. Between the set that came with the fenders (all six pieces, mounting hardware) and the set I took off my TJ when I installed the pocket style flares (no hardware, but all six pieces) I'm considering painting enough to have a complete set that isn't going to fade... or maybe get a wider set of OEM style flares.

Learned a lot yesterday, remembered a lot too. Buddy lent me his Stanley ratchet that has the rotating handle mechanism. Damn those things are sa-weet. Undoubtedly made installing nuts tons easier than removing them were. Noticed some difference between '97 set ups and '06's. Need to drill some holes for mounting the washer reservoir and the component that goes next to it firewall side. Have them mounted for the moment but want to secure them better. Also need to look into drilling a hole for the bolts that mount the flare on top of the grille that the '06 doesn't have. Makes me wonder how needed those bolts are as otherwise all the other bolts are used mounting the fenders.

Thinking based on what I did yesterday I should be able to get the passenger side fender replaced in less time today... pending any rust issues. Just having one side replaced makes a very noticeable difference (at least to me). Not having the flare extension in front of the door is a bit... odd in my opinion. I know some people like that look, and I have no issues with that. Just not a look I prefer on my TJ.

Dash panel/air bag cover replacement went pretty good. Wasn't able to secure a gear wrench for the two top corner bolts, but got them in with a normal, non-assisted wrench. Felt odd, but it worked... with minimal swearing. Final look is 95% what I was expecting/attempting. Having the colors balanced is nice, just wish the air bag cover was smooth like the instrument cluster trim and center bezel. As they say though, "close enough for gov't work".

I haven't felt this sore/painful for a very, very long time (did I mention no power tools?). Feels good though. As one of my older mentors used to say "this is part of what separates drivers from operators. A driver wouldn't do what you just did." Plus I can look at the replaced fenders and remind myself "I did that" :)

Due to weather conditions, going to do the passenger fender replacement in the garage annex at work. That way I'm only racing the clock and not the sunset or rain as well... and possibly access to power tools to use once I have bolts loosened (20 minutes a bolt is a tad too long even tho it felt good doing it manually).

Here's to hoping today goes at least as well (if not better) than yesterday.

06May2019

Passenger side fender replaced.

Looks nice but odd. Can't remember the last time my TJ didn't have a dent under the front running light/turn signal. Going to take a bit to get used to.

Replacement went much quicker (and slightly easier) than the driver side did. Still a bit sore (no power tools), but still feeling good due to reasons behind being sore. Tool inventory increased by a few items, to-buy list increased by more than a few as well.

Received about half a dozen updates during the day on the status of the Canyons. They look good, should be able to get them installed this coming weekend, depending on what all is going on in life may wait until the one after. Would like to replace the front brakes at the same time.

Depending on how I feel after work (and the weather) would like to replace the front bumper this afternoon and possibly install the big 7 cable upgrade as well. That will pretty much take care of all the "bigger" installations/replacements for the time being. Still on the fence in regards as to what style of fender flares to run with. Right now both fronts are OEM and rears are Bushwhacker pocket style. I like the coverage of the Bushwhackers, and that I purchased them with the automotive paint factory matched to black. Over ten years without fading, pretty much no scratches. As far as the OEM's, I like the style/look but will need to paint them for sure, but not as much coverage. Currently thinking potentially selling the Bushwhackers and the tires that came with the Canyons, then using any funds from the sale to purchase a set of OEM-style flares with the width of the Bushwhackers. Or, might just see how difficult it is going to be to remove the OEM flares (underside of new fenders had a liner installed by the previous owner and they didn't tape off the threads on the flare threads) and re-install the Bushwhackers for the time being. Time will tell.

Here's hoping for an uneventful Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac
08May2019

Big 7 upgrade (jeepcables.com) finally installed and one more item knocked off the To-Do list for the Jeep.

Learned a few things, had a couple of "d'oh!!!" moments, over all feels good. Another upgrade/modification done and I did it myself.

It's a good feeling :cool:

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
10May2019

Nothing huge, just swapped front OEM fender flares for the front pocket-style flares. Re-installed flare extensions as well. My TJ finally looks like my TJ again :cool:

During replacement. Honestly wasn't planning to swap the flares this evening, or for things to go as well as they did. Made sure to clean up the grime that had collected between the OEM flares and the fenders before installing the pocket flares.

After. May have only been a week, but the look with the OEM's was throwing me off. I'm also not a fan of no flare extensions. Nothing against anyone who likes that look, just not my cup of tea. Next weekend installing the Canyons, hopefully by then will have the stuck bolt under the bumper on the driver side free so I can get the new bumper installed. Still a lot of work to do (obviously) but she's starting to get back to where she should be.

For the time being new parts acquisition is on hold... or at least higher priced parts. Still leaning toward installing N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf steps before the year is out. The look is growing on me, but would miss the coverage the OEM steps provide during the winter from road spray. On the other hand, step would be a bit lower, which would be helpful for the better half as well as when either of my parents ride shotgun. Got time to figure it out, so no hurry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
12May2019

Now that the body is (mostly) repaired, thinking it might be time to try to tackling under the hood. Past few summers been getting an annoying tick/click under the hood. Rhythm seems connected to RPM's. Unlike most posts I can find online, it tends to go away/is quieter/less noticeable during the cold/winter months.

Possible causes I see frequently online (in no particular order):

- exhaust manifold crack/leak
- push rod
- piston/piston skirt
- rocker arm
- injectors
- cam bearings

Will have time tomorrow to inspect the manifold, then consult with my mechanic for further ideas/issues. May end up being an educational calendar year in more ways than expected.

15May2019

Early in the year I came across this video for swapping out the door-activated dome light switches in a TJ. I know a couple popular ideas are to either remove the fuse or light bulb, or use compression springs on the factory switch to keep the dome light Off when the doors are removed on the TJ. I personally don't like either of those ideas for the following reasons:

1) I tend to loose things.
2) No matter how often I remind myself the springs are on, I forget and close the doors on them. They do start to leave a dent/divot in the door after a while.
3) All three of those methods also give an extra step if I want the dome light to return to normal function.

As stated in the video, swapping out the factory switch for the one by Mercedes eliminates any extra steps between removing and reinstalling the doors to retain normal function of the dome light, while allowing for the light to be turned off with the doors removed.

For ME this modification seemed like a good fit. I used the video as a start point/base model to work with. Things I did different were:

1) heat shrink tubing over the connectors on both ends of the wires.
2) instead of grinding down spade connectors to make use of them as pins, I went ahead and soldered DBM connector pins to the ends of the wires that went into the OEM harness.

Instead of using an M10 x 1 nut, I followed the link in the video description to where the files for 3D printing the conversion nut were hosted. Not having a 3D printer, I utilized the Ninja Prototype printing service... and then found out they were in China. Next time I will look into things better. My only dislike was the wait time as the finished nuts made their way over to the tiki hut.

Today was the first really decent weather day that coincided with a slow work day, so utilized some down time at work for OJT (soldering the DBM connectors, cutting the wires down to size, adding spade connectors, heat shrink the ends, pulled the OEM switches, installed the new switches). Over all, probably about an hour of time if that.

Here's all the pieces before assembly:

(Heat shrink tubing discolored a bit when I used my lighter on it. Sticking to black from now on.)

Here's a pic of the new driver side switch installed:

I chose to keep the adapter harness removable while I test the set-up for durability and usefulness. As shown in the video, the Mercedes switches do indeed shut off the dome light when the switch is pulled forward into the third position. Closing the door (i.e. slam) did not appear to have a negative physical impact, and the dome light remained off. Tested each side for about 10 minutes (i.e. one cigarette each side) and everything worked as intended.

Not a huge modification, but a simple QoL that was on my to-do list that I was finally able to cross off. Feels good :)

Last edited:
16May2019

Real world test of 1) Sunrider feature on Trektop NX at highway speed, 2) Alienshade at highway speed, 3) wrap-around Windjammer with cabin top open at highway speed, 4) how the pup would react to being in the Jeep with the windows open and sun roof open.

Results were... pretty nice actually. Wouldn't recommend having the top flipped back on a Sunrider-like top at highway speed for more than a few miles though. Seems for the retention loops didn't seem happy at the end of the sixty miles, but now I know. Alienshade made quite the difference. Its one thing to read about the reduced wind, quite another to experience it. Very pleased I made the purchase (and finally got to use it on a sunny 86-90* day). Windjammer might have a permanent home on the Jeep this summer (still not 100% sure yet. Will see if/when I get to take the doors off for more than a day.)

The pup... was a bit surprised with the pup's reaction at first. Didn't care for the noise and didn't try to hop around like when in the car. Given she isn't quite six months or so yet and it was her first time in the Jeep I can understand her initial reaction. The drive home from the lake she was much more relaxed with the top all the way on and the windows opened just a bit for air flow (started down-pouring). Loved it when we were parked:

Hoping with some time and practice/training I can get her to act like a real/Jeep dog. After all, if the better half can get her trained to pose for pictures whenever a phone is aimed at her there's gotta' be hope... right?

Over all it was a beautiful day for a trip, got to test out the current top configuration, and finally got the pup along for a ride. Good times :cool:

18May2019

Nothing big today. Just a simple replacement of the passenger dash/grab handle from the original Mist Gray back to the Agate one. Two-tone idea looked a bit "off" with the lighter handle.

One week left until the Canyons are (hopefully) installed.

Parts I wished existed and/or I had the skills to fabricate:

- One-piece windjammer/duster cover. Or a two-piece combo that was actually water/snow proof for year-round use.
- After market header channel that attached exactly like the OEM one. Including the top screwing into the header.
- A blank/delete for removing the OEM FM radio antennae. May have a line on one of these.
- Skid plate the mounted to the front of the front bumper, was angled low enough to protect the steering component, and bolted to the frame. I know, not much practical use, but always liked the look on the military vehicles from units that had them.

Last edited:
08April2019

Mid morning dropped the sunroof and drove out to the local Menards. Been kicking around the idea of getting the Skidrow Tonno Prop but hesitant to drill holes if not needed. So as I'm pretty sure I mentioned before, spent the past week plus looking at ideas for a DIY PVC prop to help prevent/reduce water pooling up on the back cover when it rains. I normally throw the cab cover over the TJ if the rear windows are off, but it doesn't play as nice if with the Trektop NX in "safari mode" (ie, sides won't reach the rails on the tub). A Smittybilt C-Res will keep the sides from coming in enough for rain to mostly stay away, but still not the best. Plus with the C-Res I can't use a tonno/duster/deck cover due to the whole needing the same tub rails thing.

So, PVC prop. I can honestly say that for once something went according to plan/easy. Mendards already had five (5) foot sections of PVC in 1/2" diameter that I was looking for. Found four 90* elbows and two "T" connectors, some foam pipe insulation, and I was set. PVC went over the Instatrunk and through the "doggy door" of the windjammer without a hitch, plenty of room for other things I picked up, and back home I went.

Before I got busy I checked how a 5ft section would fit. Answer: not very well to be honest. This was expected as one of the write-ups on a different forum mentioned trial & error size reduction until they hit 58 1/2". So marked that on one of the pipes, cut it down, and found it did indeed fit "just right". Marked another pipe at 24" inches, cut it, had my "sides" to sit on top of the wheel wells. Attached them with a 90* elbow, and test fitted the duster (why does that thing hate the passenger side snap to the windjammer any time I glance at it?), found it fit snug, but not too snug over the prop bow (hereby referred to as just "the bow"). Success :)

Spending a few minutes looking at the fit, I decided I didn't like that the duster still sagged a bit in the middle. Measured the length of a T-connector, subtracted that from the side piece on top of the wheel well, cut it down, then in half. Attached the two halves to the T-connector, cut another 5ft. length down to 58 1/2", attached that into the T's, and have a nice bow not quite mid way of the duster... right where the water usually pools. Undid things one last time, wrapped the insulation foam around the bows, and buttoned things up again. So far I'm happy with the look, there's enough curve to help prevent water from pooling, but things aren't so tight as to stress any seams.

Here's a quick pick from under the duster, tailgate looking forward in order to give a general idea:

View attachment 87267

(Gotta' clean my phone's camera lens and try that again, then replace that pic in a few days.)

Something I have been meaning to do too. Good work, I think that is the first I have seen that was boxed around the edges, Ive seen the T being used but it was on the horizontal side and propped up on the edge of the body .

Something I have been meaning to do too. Good work, I think that is the first I have seen that was boxed around the edges, Ive seen the T being used but it was on the horizontal side and propped up on the edge of the body .
Thank you!

I'm actually kicking around a few ideas to lower the height of the rear-most bow. It looks a bit... odd, at the height it is. One of the things I'm considering is after lowering that bow to install a third closer to the seat end either same height as the lowered one, or possibly in-between the height of the front bow and the (currently second) bow to have a more gradual angle to help keep water away. For now though I'm happy with how things have worked out. Four or five different storms of varying length and no water on the duster afterward.

Reactions: tworley
Lets see pics of the tops man! Sounds like a great day.

Here's one of my current summer set-up, one with the Alien shade, and one with the two-tone dash (IIRC you once asked for pics of interiors to see what some of us had).

Supertop NX in "safari mode" with wrap around windjammer and duster, "sunroof" open, Alien installed:

Better pic of Alien shade:

Closer view of passenger side of the dash:

If I have time before it gets dark will try to get a pic with more of a side view of the top configuration.

25May2019

Finally have two days of sunshine in a row in the forecast (weatherman says if he's wrong I can punch him every morning next week).

So I took the top off first thing this morning:

Items on today's agenda include but are not limited to:

1) Swap out the starter. Died about 22:15 last night. Seeing as it is the original from the factory I'm not too surprised. Trouble shot the issue online with the various forums, hammer trick has it working temporarily.

2) Swap out the OEM steel rims with Canyons. Been a long wait.

3) If time/conditions allow, swap out front bumper with a better condition OEM one.

Will probably update later tonight so I can make sure I record what all went on for future reference.

25May2019 (Part 2)

You know its going to be "one of those mornings" when it takes longer to get a replacement starter than it does installing it. Fortunately I'm blessed with really good, close friends. We might not always be in constant contact with each other, but none of us have ever failed to drop everything when one of us needs a hand (like a ride to a parts store, or lending out a 15mm socket because let's say Red Dog forgot to check if he had one before starting a project.) Maybe "friends" isn't the right word. I'd say "family" probably is. Especially since some of us have known each other over decade, literally shed blood, sweat, and tears together in a sandbox far, far away.

Once the starter was in, verified everything worked properly, met up with my buddy to get the Canyons put on. They're not perfect, or showroom/inspection quality, but they're perfect to me and that's what matters. I like them, a LOT.

Hopefully within the week I can get the stuck underside driver side bolt drilled out on the bumper (never seen a torx bolt not only chip an impact socket but also round out before) and get the replacement OEM bumper installed. Going to go without the Off Camber grille guard/light mount for a bit while my buddy who cracked it straightens it up, installs some reinforcements, and then applies at least touch-up to the finish. Will give me time to look into an additional set of KC's. IF I do get a second set it probably wouldn't be until next year... or maybe my birthday as my parents are still asking for ideas. One of these days I need to go through my external drive and post a pic of why I would want more lights up front... and yes, I do have a rear differential lock on the list for 2020/21.

Good day over all despite the way it started. Honestly concerned if I make my TJ look any prettier I'm not going to recognize her in parking lots. Feels good knocking another item off the list though :)

26May2019

Another item off the list:

This is the most naked my Jeep's front end has looked since before I bought her 12 years ago. Took the pic before putting the front tow hooks on, so she's not totally naked across the bumper.

Once I got the Off Camber grille guard/light bar off decided to do a quick mock-up on something I've always wondered about:

Was glad to see I actually could fit a pair of KC's under there.

But then I got this idea:

I actually like that look but something just seemed a lil' bit "off" with it. You know, like something was missing. So I did a mock-up of this:

Let's be honest: I'm so going to get a second set of KC's as soon as I have the chance :cool: I don't know why, but the shorter, less beefy light bar just says "right" and "beach" (i.e. less aggressive if that makes sense).

Between now and whenever that is, I want to clean off the surface rust on the KC bar around the logo, replace the nuts & bolts (and washers), and see if I can restore/repair/repaint the brackets and possibly housings on the current set. Never attempted anything like that before, but I'm up for the challenge/learning experience... plus I think it would look nicer.

Came across a couple YouTube videos the other day that covered wiring auxiliary lights into the high beams using an on-off-on rocker switch. Included a mock up and demonstration of how the aux lights would be automatic or independent of the brights depending on which position the rocker was in. Other than running new wires it really didn't seem too intimidating. The channel also had a similar video for rear mounted reverse/utility lights. That one reminded me of what we had on our semis when I was in the military so the nostalgia factor is weighting the idea of trying something like that eventually.

Still have higher priority/essential components that still need taken care of, fortunately not quite as obvious (at least to me) as the ones I've taken care of so far. Looking at her right now, I know she's my TJ but that fact is quite registering with me for some reason. I may be cleaning/changing her a bit too much too fast. Getting things done does feel good though :)

EDIT: How the heck did the back of my neck get sunburned when I spent the majority of the time outside today on my back, under the Jeep, grinding down that stuck bolt?