Replacing front axle u-joints

Ron Hall

TJ Enthusiast
I had a lucky catch on a axle ujoint which had lost a keeper. We were in the San Juans when I found it. I tapped the protruding cup down and got back to the campground. I installed a keeper from an off brand ujoint. That got the Rubicon home to Arkansas with frequent inspections.

My 06 rubi has 65k and we do some moderate jeep trails in our SW Colorado summers. Boulders and water crossings are normal. My wife drives it about 1k miles each way and I pull a 5th wheel travel trailer.

I am preparing to pull both front axles for new spicer ujoints. I will check the ball joints, suspension and steering. What should I consider replacing with those axles out?

I thought I had an axle U-joint going out. Popping sound while turning. (Turned out to be my engine skid had loosened up where it mates to the transfer case skid. 🤦‍♂️) Anyway, the point of this post is that I had 125,000 miles on these original (I'm assuming) U-joints, so at 65,000, you may not need them. These are the driver's side, but both sides looked the same. For the record, I'm not upset that I replaced them though, my Jeep is getting more off-road time now than it used to.

IMG_3152.JPG
IMG_3151.JPG

Reactions: Blondie70
I thought I had an axle U-joint going out. Popping sound while turning. (Turned out to be my engine skid had loosened up where it mates to the transfer case skid. 🤦‍♂️) Anyway, the point of this post is that I had 125,000 miles on these original (I'm assuming) U-joints, so at 65,000, you may not need them. These are the driver's side, but both sides looked the same. For the record, I'm not upset that I replaced them though, my Jeep is getting more off-road time now than it used to.

View attachment 292495View attachment 292494
I do not trust the one I caught at all. I felt fortunate to get it home.

C744B73D-BFDB-4033-ACAF-EFC2ECB169BD.jpeg

Started removing front brakes and got to the axle nut wow. I’m thinking put the tire back on with the center cup removed and put sone weight on it. That would take care of one side of the required force. That bar across the lugs is an accident waiting to happen.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I am going to add one more statement to this axle nut removal. I fought with that short side axle nut for a day. Cheater bar and finally put the tire back on. I spun that tire and then wedged it. I finally dug out a very tired craftsman impact that puts out way less than that my 250 lb torque wrench or my long breaker bar. I saw the socket beat it and then very slowly start to turn. It took the other side right off. Don’t get hurt, use an impact.

Throwing out a question on these slingers. When installing the front axle should the plastic slinger be positioned close to the differential splines to aid alignment and then end up whereever they position as axle is seated? One of mine was missing and the other was near the ujoint.

I am going to add one more statement to this axle nut removal. I fought with that short side axle nut for a day. Cheater bar and finally put the tire back on. I spun that tire and then wedged it. I finally dug out a very tired craftsman impact that puts out way less than that my 250 lb torque wrench or my long breaker bar. I saw the socket beat it and then very slowly start to turn. It took the other side right off. Don’t get hurt, use an impact.
Being the kid i am who couldnt afford a impact till a little under a year ago. If you are careful with a crow bar you can wedge it and do it with a breaker bar and not hurt yourself. although i only recommend that if you dont have a impact and take it slow. That would be one good ER trip if you slip the crow bar out.

Throwing out a question on these slingers. When installing the front axle should the plastic slinger be positioned close to the differential splines to aid alignment and then end up whereever they position as axle is seated? One of mine was missing and the other was near the ujoint.
I just put them out near the u-joints, they won't help with alignment.

Reactions: Ron Hall
Look in the tube and make sure that other plastic ring isn't next to the seal.

Being the kid i am who couldnt afford a impact till a little under a year ago. If you are careful with a crow bar you can wedge it and do it with a breaker bar and not hurt yourself. although i only recommend that if you dont have a impact and take it slow. That would be one good ER trip if you slip the crow bar out.

I put a couple cheap lug nuts on the threads to protect them and put a long breaker bar against them, with the other end on the ground, to hold everything while I torque the axle nut.

IMG_3174.JPG

Look in the tube and make sure that other plastic ring isn't next to the seal.
I wish I had read this earlier today before I buttoned it up. I don’t believe it was there, because I gently got to the seal and then easily steered through into the splines. I sure appreciate your response. I think a visual with a flashlight is a really good idea.

Reactions: matkal
I put a couple cheap lug nuts on the threads to protect them and put a long breaker bar against them, with the other end on the ground, to hold everything while I torque the axle nut.

View attachment 301332
You can also start it up, shove the brake pedal down with a stick against the front of the seat and torque away to your heart's content. If you don't have a stick, significant others and progeny also work.

You can also start it up, shove the brake pedal down with a stick against the front of the seat and torque away to your heart's content. If you don't have a stick, significant others and progeny also work.
I never thought of that. (y)

I had to google progeny though. Unfortunately, all mine have grown up and moved away. That's how I can afford a Jeep and Jeep accessories. :ROFLMAO:

I had to google progeny though. Unfortunately, all mine have grown up and moved away. That's how I can afford a Jeep and Jeep accessories. :ROFLMAO:
You should have sacrificed some of the progeny to torque earlier. 😉

• Haha
I find using the upper jack handle between brake pedal and steering wheel or front seat with engine running works wonderfully. Been torquing unit bearings and lug nuts that way for many years as I don’t always have someone handy to help.

Another good way for the axle nut I like is install the wheel with no center cap and drop it to the ground. But that is a bit more work, I don’t do it that way unless I can’t start the engine for whatever reason when I’m working.

I tried the wheel on the ground and was turning that 33 on the garage floor at about 300 lbs. That old impact won’t do 90. I used the brake pedal and spouse method to re-torque after installation. What I have learned thru this process is to remove axle nut after tires and it isn’t all about torque.