Replacing steering box; pitman arm removal?

mynamesrickgrimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The steering box on my 2000 has started leaking; rather than throw a band-aid on it with stop-leak, I'm going to buy a remanufactured one off eBay. I've watched a bunch of videos, all of which show using a pitman arm puller to remove the pitman arm.

Looking at eBay, there are many listings that just come with the pitman arm attached. Is there any reason I can't just buy one of those, and remove the old pitman arm from the steering linkage to avoid having to use a puller?

like this:

s-l1600.jpg

@Gollywomper thanks for confirming. seller is "deadjeeps" on eBay which appears to have very good feedback and "guarantees" performance, so hopefully I'll be OK with that!

I’ve ordered from deadjeeps. They’ve got a website you can order from too. I’ve had good luck with them

The steering box on my 2000 has started leaking; rather than throw a band-aid on it with stop-leak, I'm going to buy a remanufactured one off eBay. I've watched a bunch of videos, all of which show using a pitman arm puller to remove the pitman arm.

Looking at eBay, there are many listings that just come with the pitman arm attached. Is there any reason I can't just buy one of those, and remove the old pitman arm from the steering linkage to avoid having to use a puller?

The seals are not that hard to replace to stop the leak, the kit on Amazon is around $15, and you only need typical hand tools…. mine Was leaking from the top input shaft… I replaced both input and output seals in about an hour… keep in mind these are + or - 20 year old parts and the odds the used one will leak is pretty good…. As far as Deadjeep I have used them numerous times with good result, just always seems to take 7-10 days to get… ymmv

The seals are not that hard to replace to stop the leak, the kit on Amazon is around $15, and you only need typical hand tools…. mine Was leaking from the top input shaft… I replaced both input and output seals in about an hour… keep in mind these are + or - 20 year old parts and the odds the used one will leak is pretty good…. As far as Deadjeep I have used them numerous times with good result, just always seems to take 7-10 days to get… ymmv

Perhaps I'll give that a shot instead to save a few $$$

Perhaps I'll give that a shot instead to save a few $$$

If it’s your input shaft seal, where the steering shaft connects to the gearbox, you don’t necessarily have to take the Pitman arm off but while it’s off, you might as well go ahead and replace the one at the pitman arm… If you’re gonna pull the Pitman arm off, check and see if your parts houses have a rental program and have the cone shaped one instead of the two arm type… Don’t waste your money on the two arm harbor freight one because it will not probably work…

powersteeringseals for the rebuild kit and a Koyo sector shaft bearing if needed. Parts are listed in the video description.

I recently ordered a bracket from deadjeeps. They sent the wrong one, didn’t want to send the right one until they got the wrong one back. (They did send a prepaid shipping label though) I sent a photo of the receipt with tracking number for the return and asked if they could go ahead and send the correct one because my Jeep was down until I got that bracket. They said they needed to see movement of the part first. I waited until it showed delivered and never heard back so I asked if the correct one had been sent out yet because the return shows delivered. Then I get a message saying they actually didn’t have any of the correct ones and they would send one whenever they did get one. I declined that and just requested a refund. That took 6 days including the weekend even though they said it would be less than 48 hours. I had a correct bracket from another seller in hand before I even got the refund. LOL

Not a huge deal, I can understand wanting to get their wrong part back before they sent another one. Just aggravating when you’re trying to juggle available time to work on things.

This seems to be the best thread to jump in and ask for help with my issue: After 3.5 years finally made time to "Currect" my steering and remove the dropped Pittman arm. Dropped the linkage without issue but the Pittman will just not turn loose. I've sprayed multiple days/rounds using PB Blaster and Liquid Moly to give everyone a fair shake, and tried the puller to no avail, and lastly with great tension on the puller applied light 'shocks' from the air hammer around the Pittman collar in an effort to vibrate the bond loose. Its a very firm gear box with no extra movement, but I'm down to thinking about replacing it because I'm out of ideas.

Jeep LJ Pitman Arm.jpg

Cut it off since it is not needed. Start cutting through in same front location. Once it is close to all the way through it should release. Carful not to hit the splines.

How tight are you running the puller? Using an end wrench or a large breaker bar?

Reactions: TJ Jim
Second cutting a slot at the thinnest spot. Go as deep as possible and then hammer in a chisel into the cut. It’ll split the uncut part and fall off.

Cut it off since it is not needed. Start cutting through in same front location. Once it is close to all the way through it should release. Carful not to hit the splines.

How tight are you running the puller? Using an end wrench or a large breaker bar?

Had previously considered, but now think I'll give it a go. Have about 150 ft/lbs + on the puller trying not to break it, but will definitely remove it to cut so it doesn't explode off.