Rock Sliders / Rocker Guards Guide

Great information guys!
With the new fenders im in need of new sliders. The bar on mine goes ww2ww and I don’t want the cut the flares. For me it’s better to have and not need so its between GR and Savvy.

GR mini boats requiring you to use a BFH or cut the bottom of the tub to fit has me apprehensive. So I’m leaning towards Savvy’s. Although I’m not crazy about drilling 40 more holes I understand why that what it takes. Well I don’t really understand but anyway.

@mrblaine or @Jerry Bransford did Savvy stop offering the SS slider? Would you care to share why? I went through 600+ post waiting to see the two step versions but never did. Regardless if they came into production or not I would like to see what you came up with if you wouldn’t mind. On the website it is called a “step slider” but as you’re aware time is not wasted on pictures. Is the original design still being sold or it one of the designs with a step?

Any chance you have the installation instructions you could email me? I would like to go though it this weekend if possible. Thanks
I don't have instructions but I have a few pics from my original Savvy slider installation on my previous TJ. I can't speak for Savvy but I imagine the extra cost of the SS version of the slider was the reason it was dropped. I've had the standard steel version on both of my TJs and it does fine. A few coats of Rustoleum satin black over a coat of self-etching primer is all that's needed to protect the steel slider.

Reactions: 04 LJ and JMT
I don't have instructions but I have a few pics from my original Savvy slider installation on my previous TJ. I can't speak for Savvy but I imagine the extra cost of the SS version of the slider was the reason it was dropped. I've had the standard steel version on both of my TJs and it does fine. A few coats of Rustoleum satin black over a coat of self-etching primer is all that's needed to protect the steel slider.

View attachment 84157View attachment 84158
View attachment 84159
View attachment 84160
View attachment 84161
View attachment 84162
View attachment 84163
View attachment 84164
Thanks Jerry. Would a nutsert tool make life easier?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TODXQW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 84157View attachment 84158
View attachment 84159
View attachment 84160
View attachment 84161
View attachment 84162
View attachment 84163
View attachment 84164
That’s my hands down favorite design for function. Wish you still had the original Geezer.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thanks Jerry. Would a nutsert tool make life easier?
Maybe but I didn't use anything special like that to set the nutserts included in Savvy's kit. I almost want to think Savvy included some kind of small simple setup like a bolt, washers, & a couple nuts to set the nutsert which made setting the nutserts a painless operation. @mrblaine can provide more details, it has been a while since I did mine. Just pushing in on the nutsert while you squeeze it with a bolt to set it in place is the basic idea of the setting process.

Reactions: Powdermonkey
I almost want to think Savvy included some kind of small simple setup like a bolt, washers, & a couple nuts to set the nutsert which made setting the nutserts a painless operation.

You already forgot the one you wore out with your impact?

@mrblaine can provide more details, it has been a while since I did mine. Just pushing in on the nutsert while you squeeze it with a bolt to set it in place is the basic idea of the setting process.
I have at least 5 different lever handle nutsert setting tools and one hydraulic one if that says anything.

Reactions: Powdermonkey
Says all I need to know!
A simple trick that most overlook somehow. Clamp the rocker or corner in place at its final home. Most have 3/8" holes in them for clearance around a 5/16" bolt. Take a good 3/8" drill bit and drill motor and drill through every hole that gets a fastener. Don't mark and remove and try to center punch and drill, just drill through the holes. That will let you drill out the ones that take a nutsert and the larger bit will self center on the 3/8" hole you drilled and give you enough leeway on the ones that don't need a nutsert. Keeps all the nutserts centered on the mounting holes.

A simple trick that most overlook somehow. Clamp the rocker or corner in place at its final home. Most have 3/8" holes in them for clearance around a 5/16" bolt. Take a good 3/8" drill bit and drill motor and drill through every hole that gets a fastener. Don't mark and remove and try to center punch and drill, just drill through the holes. That will let you drill out the ones that take a nutsert and the larger bit will self center on the 3/8" hole you drilled and give you enough leeway on the ones that don't need a nutsert. Keeps all the nutserts centered on the mounting holes.
Had you not recommended it I would not of tried it. I would have been concerned that the drill bit would eat at a side of the aluminum hole.

On a different topic, how do you know which motor mounts the engine/trans skid are compatible with? Hell, how would I even know what brand was installed by the PO?

Had you not recommended it I would not of tried it. I would have been concerned that the drill bit would eat at a side of the aluminum hole.

It is practically impossible to drill a hole off to one side in an existing hole. Drill bits really don't like to do that. Try it sometime when you need to slot a hole to move something over. Nothing is more self centering than an existing hole with a bit the same size or larger.

On a different topic, how do you know which motor mounts the engine/trans skid are compatible with? Hell, how would I even know what brand was installed by the PO?
Not sure what you are asking.

Reactions: BlackSheep
It is practically impossible to drill a hole off to one side in an existing hole. Drill bits really don't like to do that. Try it sometime when you need to slot a hole to move something over. Nothing is more self centering than an existing hole with a bit the same size or larger.

Not sure what you are asking.
On savvy’s engine/trans skid, is it compatible with all motor mounts? How would I know what it’s compatible with and what the previous owner installed?

On savvy’s engine/trans skid, is it compatible with all motor mounts? How would I know what it’s compatible with and what the previous owner installed?
Works best with a 1" motor mount lift. Not sure how to identify what you have. Can you see the motor mounts well enough to get a picture of them and post it up?

I quickly read over this thread and did not see any mention of a rock slider I bought and installed . I did a thread on it. I have been very pleased with them the name of the company is Stout Fabrication. They are very strong and the mounting holes and plates are extremely secure.
Do you have a link? I tried to google them and got a welding shop that makes fire escapes and hand rails...