Rock Sliders / Rocker Guards Guide

I ordered the OEM Mopar rockers from a forum member. There was a great price and I couldn't resist.

The other brand that I really liked was KD Fabworks. I ordered thier bumpers but I have not yet recieved them, but the look and quality appear to be spot-on.

He has one with a step and one without.

http://www.kdfabworks.com/97-06-Wrangler-TJ_c_83.html
I was just interested to see if you had savvy’s or if someone else was using nutsert. I will be ordering savvy’s as soon as they respond to my email.

Small update for DIY Fabricators. I found this design on a website, so it is not original with me. It looks very good, although I have not measured the length to see if it is WW2WW. The double bend is an excellent feature (120* and 150*), and it appears to have plenty of underbody coverage where you could tub mount, the preferred method. If someone could fab some of these up for <$300, they might have a venue...

View attachment 40877

I found this website as well and I am not convinced that the guy built these as he shows no fab details. But was curious to see what it would look like folded up. So, I modeled it up in SolidWorks:

Looks reasonable, what do you guys think of the corner?

My only addition to this post/ suggestion is to consider steps into the purchase of the sliders. I wanted to put these one so my wife can get in, but cant not cuz of the type of slider i got... i could take them off, modify them... which i may do over this coming winter. Ugh! Lessons learned.

Screenshot_20190215-191002.png

20190411_101928.jpg

Reactions: JMT
My only addition to this post/ suggestion is to consider steps into the purchase of the sliders. I wanted to put these one so my wife can get in, but cant not cuz of the type of slider i got... i could take them off, modify them... which i may do over this coming winter. Ugh! Lessons learned.

View attachment 91599

View attachment 91600

If you haven't already, get some grab handles like the firm metal style. My wife thought that she wanted a step but has now been asking for a slider without a step. Grab handles are great.

Reactions: JMT
This is a compilation of my research for rock sliders. I hope it can serve as a guide to others who are looking for the best product for themselves, as well as an avenue for others to add updated data as this forum grows and products develop. This post has undergone several edits, especially after the comments and suggestions of @mrblaine. Thanks to him for his knowledge incorporated herein and under his own post later in the thread.

Rock Sliders/Rocker Guards

Rock sliders are an important armor component for protecting your tub between the front and rear fender. They come stock on the Rubicon, but if you wheel on another model in conditions that put your tub in danger, you may want to consider aftermarket rock sliders. Even if you have a Rubicon, you may want a beefier slider for your style of wheelin’. We're not talking nerf bars here, but if you want nerf bars, you might consider reading up on rock sliders, as they may be a better choice for you if you wheel!

Many considerations go into choosing the best rock sliders for your application. Are they mainly for style? Or are they required for function? A good driver can use them to pivot over rocks. Would you like a step to help get into the Jeep? Or that lady friend, wife? How much protection do you want underneath? Do you want to protect your body mounts? Or just the edge and side of the tub? How do they mount to your Jeep? Do they mount only to the side of the tub or also underneath? Do they tie into the body mount? Or use an internal bracket that utilizes the seat mounting hardware? Are you considering aftermarket flares? Or do you already have some? It may be best purchase sliders from the same company that made your flares so everything ties in well. Or you may have the skills to fabricate a way to fit various components together. Does the mounting hardware leave a head extended or are they countersunk? Which is really better? An extended head near the lip of the tub could snap off if you hit a rock, but if tucked farther back is not a problem, and much stronger. And of course, what is your budget? These and other questions are part of determining what might be best for YOUR Jeep and YOUR use!

Below is a list of more well-known rock sliders available as of January 2018. Hopefully this bit of research will help in your search. If you find any others I’ve missed or haven’t considered, and are worthy of being posted, please let me know and I’ll add to the list. If there's data you have to fill in, also, let me know. They are divided into two classes, those with more form and less function and those with more function. Most are in the first category. So if you are looking for function, only the last few are really going to save your rig on the rocks!

Form over Function Sliders

Rugged Ridge ($299-399)

Model: 04-06 TJ
Warranty: 5 year limited
Manufacturing: 3/16” steel plate
Step: Yes (2” wide)
Mounting: Side of tub. Bolt heads are not flush. Underneath unclear
Finish: Tough Black Texture
Weight: 68lbs for the pair

Cost friendly, works with most aftermarket flares, has cut outs for use of a Hi-Lift jack, includes rubber welting to protect the paint and body.
http://www.ruggedridge.com/heavy-duty-rocker-panel-guards-11504-15.html#product_tabs_additional_tabbed

Motobilt ($275)

Model: TJ
Warranty:
Step: Optional
Mounting: Side of tub countersunk and underneath attached to body mounts
Finish: Bare steel
Weight: unknown

Motobilt is making some interesting products in the Jeep world. These look solid and at a good price point. Made in the USA.
https://www.motobilt.com/jeep-tj-rocker-guards-with-stock-flares.html

C&C Fabrication ($225-328)

Model: TJ, LJ
Warranty:
Step: Yes, 1 ¾” x 0.120 DOM with nice plate for step.
Mounting: Side of tub. Underneath NO MOUNTING BOLTS, 2" lip underneath the edge.
Backing Plates: No
Finish: Bare metal
Weight: ~40 lbs. This is what I was told over the phone, seems incorrect though.

C&C Fabrication looks like they make solid stuff. Hard to tell a lot, but these are not mass produced, allow 7-10 days for build and 3-5 days for shipping. They have several alternate options, including a DIY version for $225.
http://shop.ccfabs.com/Rock-Sliders_c8.htm

Genright Standard Rocker Guards w/Bars ($399)

Model: TJ, YJ or CJ-7
Warranty:
Manufacturing: Laser Cut and CNC Formed from 3/16” steel.
Step: Yes, with dimple die step plate for traction entering and exiting (4 ½” wide). Side bar is 1 ½” x 0.120 thick DOM tube (angled 15* upward)
Mounting: Side of tub and underneath tub. Bolt heads are countersunk on both for a smooth sliding surface
Finish: Powder Coat Black
Weight: ~81 lbs

Genright makes a very solid rock slider. This is the cheaper model with form over function. May require some trimming.
https://genright.com/products/tj-yj-cj-standard-rocker-guards-w-bars-steel.html

Warrior Rock Sliders ($)

Warranty: 180 days materials and workmanship
Manufacturing: 3/16” plate steel
Step: Yes, tapers from front to rear, or no.
Mounting: Side of tub. Underneath unclear
Finish: Black Powder Coat
Weight: Unknown

Warrior Rock Sliders provide 6-7 inches of protect under the tub.
http://www.warriorproducts.com/cata...-06-jeep-wrangler-tj/side-steps/rock-sliders/

Rock Hard 4x4 ($300-340)

Warranty: Lifetime
Manufacturing: Laser Cut 3/16” steel
Step: Yes or no. 1 ¾” x 0.120 DOM
Mounting: Side of tub countersunk and underneath countersunk for a smooth sliding surface
Backing Plates: No
Finish: Black Powder Coat Semi-Gloss 20% Texture
Weight: 60 lbs

Rock hard is 100% made in the USA, not the 75% legal standard. There is no welding or cutting required and can be used with 99% of flares and all body lifts. Since black powder coat is included, this is another slider that is hard to beat at that price point…
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-3001-sc.htm

Metalcloak Rocker Rails ($399)

Warranty:
Manufacturing: 7GA hot rolled steel plate
Step: Yes, 1 ½” x 0.120 steel tubing
Mounting: Side of tub in two linear paths, one above the step and one below.
Finish: Bare metal or Black Powder Coat (+ $124)
Weight: 94 lbs for the pair

Metalcloak makes good stuff and is known for good customer service. These rockers have a deflector plate, high lift mount, and are designed to integrate with the MC fenders, but can be used without them. There are two versions, make sure you get the right version for your rig.
https://www.metalcloak.com/Rocker-Rail-Pair-TJ-p/2312.htm

ARB ($466-492)

Model: Short Wheelbase TJ’s only
Warranty: Two years materials and workmanship
Manufacturing: Tough, 1.25 diamter schedule 40 tubular steel
Step: Yes (@30* upward from tub) or no
Mounting: Side of tub. Underneath ties into body mounts giving about 7 inches of protection underneath.
Finish: Powder Coat Black
Weight: 63.5 lbs for the pair

ARB has a long-standing reputation in the Jeeping community for making great products. This slider is no exception, but a tie in to the body mounts makes them more form over function.
http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Rock-Sliders-With-Steps-For-Jeep-TJ-2-Door-Model-4450010-P3391.aspx

Rokmen Mercenary ($399)

Model: TJ, LJ, YJ
Warranty:
Manufacturing: Precision Laser Cut and CNC form bent from 3/16” steel plate
Step: Yes, slider is 1 ¾” DOM Tubing
Mounting: Side of tub countersunk stainless steel. Bottom of tub countersunk alloy for smooth sliding surface
Backing Plates: Yes, 10 Zinc Plated.

Will work with all body lifts and gives full underbody protection, fully TIG welded and all grade 8 hardware. Welds are hard to beat. This is a very good slider at a very good price. Very hard to beat! No longer in production as of 1/2018. Possibly will re-enter production if demand increases.

https://www.rokmen.com/mercenary-rock-sliders-202.html

Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers with Sliders ($375-415)

Model: TJ, LJ, YJ or CJ-7
Warranty:
Manufacturing: Laser Cut and CNC Formed from 3/16” plate steel.
Step: Yes, DOM tube
Mounting: Side of tub countersunk and underneath tub at the body mounts and ribs, etc…for smooth sliding surface
Finish: Bare Steel

Poison Spyder makes good stuff, and this rock slider is no exception for a form over function slider. Good price point. Works with a body lift without a resulting gap or misalignment. Weakness is they mount at the body mounts.

https://shop.poisonspyder.com/TJ-Rocker-Knockers-with-Sliders-p/14-08-060.htm

TNT Customs Standard Rocker ($270-350)

Warranty:
Manufacturing: CNC cut and formed 3/16” steel plate
Step: Yes or no. Step is very nice, 3.5" wide
Mounting: Side of tub and underneath, neither countersunk. Explanation from TNT is that it weakens the steel at that point. They have never had a bolt head messed up to the point it could not be removed. Optional internal brace ($89).
Finish: Bare steel
Weight: 72 lbs

TNT Customs rock sliders look pretty beefy. Gives full underbody coverage and is body lift compatible. There is a double angle as the slider comes around the edge of the tub. It is not as demarcated as the Savvy and Genright's below, but is surely superior to all the previous rock sliders on this list. It is not wheel well to wheel well, but fits with their flares. A very strong option for someone looking for something that is very nearly in the upper echelon of functionally superior sliders, but not willing to spend $600.
https://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_parts/tj_rock_sliders_97_06_wrangler_tj_tnt_customs

Function Over Form Sliders

JCR Rock Sliders Crusader ($459+)

Model: TJ, LJ, YJ
Warranty:
Manufacturing: CNC cut and formed from 3/16” steel
Step: Yes, (3 ½” wide)
Mounting: Side of tub and bracket inside tying in to the seat mount locations.
Finish: Bare metal or Black Powder Coat (+ $150)
Weight: 92 lbs for the pair

JCR makes solid stuff for our Jeeps. This mini boat slider has a unique look and claims to provide higher ground clearance than traditional angle steel tube sliders. Has built in Hi-Lift jacking points front and rear. It is wheel well to wheel well and has the interior tub support that ties into the front seat, so this makes it an excellent functional slider. Made in the USA.
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/SWBSL-CR.html

Warn ($329)

Model: TJ, LJ, YJ, CJ7
Warranty:
Manufacturing: 3/16” Steel
Step: No
Mounting: Side of tub not countersunk and underneath, but unclear how
Finish: Black Powder Coat
Weight: unknown

Warn is a well-known and reputable company, mostly for their M8000 winch. This slider has a rounded edge as it comes around the tub, making it a very functional slider. See post #74 on page 4 of this thread for pictures. Not ww2ww. Best in class for price.

https://www.warn.com/truck-suv-mounting-protection-body-armor
Genright Mini Boat Side Rocker Guards w/Bars ($599)

Model: TJ, YJ or CJ-7
Warranty:
Manufacturing: Laser Cut and CNC Formed from 3/16” cold rolled steel. Side bar is 1 ¾” x 0.120 thick DOM tube (angled 15* upward)
Step: Yes, with dimple die step plate for traction entering and exiting (4 ½” wide).
Mounting: Side of tub and underneath tub. Bolt heads are countersunk for smooth surface

Genright makes a very awesome functioning rock slider. The design incorporates a 45* angle around the edge of the tub. This is far superior to the 90* angle on most rock sliders. It will allow you to slide, whereas a 90* angle will often dig into the ground or rock and cause you to stop. I consider this a design feature that makes these the highest quality functioning rock slider. They also have as an option an interior support bracket, which will mean that your tub will not bend outward when someone uses the step. Again, this is a high quality addition, not common to most rock sliders. Provides wheel well to wheel well coverage. May require some trimming.
https://genright.com/products/tj-yj-cj-mini-boat-side-rocker-guards-w-bars-steel.html

Savvy Rocker Steel Slider ($559)

Warranty:
Manufacturing: Aluminum base.
Step: Yes, replaceable
Mounting: Nutserts, reinforced backing plates, all stainless steel
Finish: Raw
Weight: ~80 lbs

Savvy, the name says it all. The design incorporates a 45* angle around the edge of the tub. This is far superior to the 90* angle on most rock sliders. It incorporates a two-piece design, the slider and the step, so that if one part is damaged, the whole does not need to be replaced, only one piece. They also have an interior support bracket, making them much stonger than most sliders. This is a great option for someone who will be on the rocks. It provides wheel well to wheel well coverage.
http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/Savvy-Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-Rockers-w-Step-Sliders-1997-2006-RKR-Kit.htm

Nemesis Billy Rocker ($649)

Warranty:
Manufacturing: Aluminum
Step: Yes, flat with lip
Mounting: Countersunk on sides, underneath it completely covers the body mounts and goes all the way to the frame providing total protection.
Finish: Bare, Semi-Gloss or Textured Powder Coat (+$200)
Weight: 55 lbs for the pair

Nemesis makes an interesting rock slider. The entire side of the Jeep lower tub is protected and even the body mounts are completely covered. They are aluminum to boot, so just 27.5 lbs per side will be added to your Jeep. It doesn’t come without a price tag though! Maybe you get what you pay for. Hard to say but definitely worth a hard look. They also provide a 45* sliding surface, which is superior to most other rockers. With their under body mount wrapping design, you will lose some clearance. Coverage is wheel well to wheel well, which is superior to most rockers.
https://www.nem-ind.com/products/jeep-wrangler-tj-accessories/97-06-tj-billy-rocker.html?___SID=U

Apologies for leaving others off like Smittybilt, Ace Engineering, et. Al., as well as some of the alternate versions specific to your TJ or LJ, flare set up, etc...However, I hope this helps folks find what’s out there and make an informed decision. My personal opinion of the best overall sliders in order are; Genright Mini Boat Sliders, Savvy, JCR, Warn and TNT. Hope to see you on the trails!
Am I the only one seeing most of the text of this post colored white??

What text is white? The text in the original post, or all the text in the thread?
It's the text in the original post, but only the text under each rocker category. Attached is a screen shot. It's just a little weird, because the text is obviously there because I can copy it (seen in green), but if you take close look it's really faded. No biggie, just a little weird...

hidden text - wranglertj.PNG

Reactions: KennedyLJ
It's the text in the original post, but only the text under each rocker category. Attached is a screen shot. It's just a little weird, because the text is obviously there because I can copy it (seen in green), but if you take close look it's really faded. No biggie, just a little weird...

View attachment 92179

Try it now.

Reactions: JMT and KennedyLJ
Fixed! What did you change? Just curious...techy stuff interests me

@JMT used a really light font color. I'm not sure if this was intentional, or if perhaps in a forum software upgrade something just got wonky.

Either way, all I had to do was change the text color to black, fortunately.

Reactions: JMT and KennedyLJ
@JMT used a really light font color. I'm not sure if this was intentional, or if perhaps in a forum software upgrade something just got wonky.

Either way, all I had to do was change the text color to black, fortunately.
Fortunately the black font shows up on the dark theme i am using right now.

Reactions: Chris