Rock Sliders / Rocker Guards Guide

Here are some photos from my previous TJ's install of Savvy's 2-piece (plus an internal brace) slider as designed by mrblaine. It replaced my bent up 3/16" slider from 4XDoctor. Rounded radius on the bottom to make it easier to slide on rocks, 2-piece exterior to allow a damaged rub rail to be replaced independent of the main body, nothing to hang up on the bottom, and braced internally which significantly strengthens it. Aluminum where it can be, steel where it needs to be. No compromise design. Not cheap but if you want the best...

View attachment 30797 View attachment 30798 View attachment 30799 View attachment 30800 View attachment 30801 View attachment 30802 View attachment 30803

I see a lot of pictures of the Savvy sliders bare metal, is the steel slider actually stainless steel?

I have these. Any idea who makes them?

A743C787-BFE5-423A-A696-33E3A5DC3714.jpeg

AA0D4862-54F9-478B-9D75-BD77A4327BDC.jpeg

IMO, the very best.
What makes them the best? Or first, clarify whether it is the normal version that the outer corner is an inch below the tub edge or the mini boat sides where the lower corner is an inch above the lower tub edge.

If not the boat side, are you talking about the ones with the plastic spacers that go between the top of the slider and the torque box?

What makes them the best? Or first, clarify whether it is the normal version that the outer corner is an inch below the tub edge or the mini boat sides where the lower corner is an inch above the lower tub edge.

If not the boat side, are you talking about the ones with the plastic spacers that go between the top of the slider and the torque box?
Mini boat slides.

Mini boat slides.
These are mini boat slides.
1590933095565.png

These are boat sides because they resemble the sides of a boat hull.
1590933269693.png

The GR would be much better if they had left them like I designed them and kept that goofy tube step off of them. It makes zero sense to build a high clearance solution for rock rails and then ruin that with a step. So while good, they are not the very best they can be unless you modify them like I did these.
DSC_4749.JPG

These are mini boat slides.
View attachment 166160

These are boat sides because they resemble the sides of a boat hull.
View attachment 166161

The GR would be much better if they had left them like I designed them and kept that goofy tube step off of them. It makes zero sense to build a high clearance solution for rock rails and then ruin that with a step. So while good, they are not the very best they can be unless you modify them like I did these.
View attachment 166164
Exactly, I believe we've had this conversation before. The step removed is the best solution. But consumer demand was heard. Too bad because I rarely if ever use the step on mine.

Exactly, I believe we've had this conversation before. The step removed is the best solution. But consumer demand was heard. Too bad because I rarely if ever use the step on mine.
I basically use the step on mine to stand on while scrubbing the softtop...or dink around with my spiderweb shade. It is definitely not an aid to entering or exiting the vehicle.

I basically use the step on mine to stand on while scrubbing the softtop...or dink around with my spiderweb shade. It is definitely not an aid to entering or exiting the vehicle.
A tube welded to the slider doesnt always equate to it being a step. I’m with you, but a tube welded on the slider can put your tube closer to the rock and away from the body panel.

This picture below shows that the owner has two, “steps.” One on the rock slider and one of the quarter panel...Why would a step be welded to the rear quarter panel? ;)
8AA21A5C-7A06-4E09-94D4-5F5DB586AAC4.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Daryl and KennedyLJ
A tube welded to the slider doesnt always equate to it being a step. I’m with you, but a tube welded on the slider can put your tube closer to the rock and away from the body panel.

This picture below shows that the owner has two, “steps.” One on the rock slider and one of the quarter panel...Why would a step be welded to the rear quarter panel? ;)
View attachment 166412
yeah but he has forty's and probably an LS so its ok...he can handle the weight...

I get a call out of the blue this morning. Buddy has been wheeling his TJ Unlimited all weekend with his buddy that has the same model. The reason for the call was to see if I could come up with a reason when they ruined his buddy's hard top. It seems they dropped down off the top of a step and the rear bumper hit with some force but not enough to damage the bumper. The impact shoved the frame up into the tub and that blew apart the rear corner on the top at the seam at the back side glass.

I said- "let me guess, he's running rock rails with a spider logo on them?" Why yes, how did you know? Because the body mounts are fubar and not supporting the tub correctly.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and toximus
How are the rock rails at fault when it was a bumper hit? Because they tie the frame directly into the body and bypass the rubber mounts?
Because the rock rail mounting system fucks up the relationship between the tub and the frame with uneven loading. The frame and tub are a unitized structure when the body mounts are bolted up. If you can to test that, set the front and rear frame on jack stands, unbolt the frame and watch the middle of the frame sag about 1/2" or so.

Bumper hit causes the body to move. How much it moves is determined by how it is supported.

Because the rock rail mounting system fucks up the relationship between the tub and the frame with uneven loading. The frame and tub are a unitized structure when the body mounts are bolted up. If you can to test that, set the front and rear frame on jack stands, unbolt the frame and watch the middle of the frame sag about 1/2" or so.

Bumper hit causes the body to move. How much it moves is determined by how it is supported.
This?

From PS website, "Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers™ bolt to your Jeep's body in key areas, and interface with strenghtened areas of the underside of the tub such as body mounts, strenthening ribs, etc. Because they mount to the body itself, there is no resulting gap or misalignment when a body lift is installed."