Roof Rack Idea

KingCarGuyZ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So I am thinking about adding a roof rack to the Jeep. I keep needing more space, especially when hauling 4 people and I am toying with the idea of a simple RTT setup, or more space to mount lights and antennas (with a bit of a ground plane from the basket)

I am thinking the basket would need to be able to handle 2 adults and gear when static, so figure on 600ish pounds, very rough ballpark and probably 200 ish rolling. The Garvin Expedition Rack is the obvious solution, but it's kind of expensive for a college kid, and I don't like the "exoskeleton" look. I have seen some Yakima Racks done by members with success. I like the look but the general consciences seems to be "don't but more than 200lbs on the factory hard top."

So here's my idea: Would it be possible to drill the top and install Yakima pads and bars like @EJD did, and then tie the inside of the hardtop pads to the jeeps roll bar. I am thinking of building some brackets to help distribute the load from the roof rack directly to the roll bar, thus allowing you to have several hundred pounds of roof rack load without the external frame or load on the hardtop. I am concerned about the hardtop flex though, I notice when going down the highway the hard top flexes or vibrates significantly, if you firmly affixed the hardtop to the roll bar, I'm concerned you may be at risk for cracking the top.

alright, thats the theory - someone shoot holes in it before I spend waaaay to much money buying steel.

No matter what I did to stop it my hard top leaked where I drilled it for my rack. This is from around 25 years ago.

P.S. I'd never run another roof rack on a Wrangler.

images-8.jpeg

Jerry's concern aside... (maybe it can be fixed, maybe not...)

Look into some of the solutions that the JK/JL developers have been working on for the tie-ins. There was a company that was building supports that bridged from the attachment points at the top, down to the side rails of the tub. That way you'd still have the load capacity you want, with the ease of only needing to remove a few bolts per side to remove the top as opposed to unbolting the top from the tub and the roll bar as well.

I’ll echo @JMT, and say that having had a roof rack in the past, I don’t think I would have one again.

46DC6500-EF35-4CE0-83E3-70C20A45F2BF.jpeg

Difficult to access stuff on top, and raises your center of gravity significantly, enough to feel it even on the street (though you could alleviate some of that with good shocks/swaybars).

If you’re deadset on a roof rack though, I would look at the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform offered for the JK/JL:
E841C699-6AEA-4EA8-9DFC-152D3DCC5423.jpeg

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
I do tow a trailer sometimes, but I was looking for a more permanent solution. Something that I don't have to go back home and get, but is just always there and available when I need extra storage. Arkansas Off-road built one that looks "ok" I'm not 100% a fan of the tail light mount point. I might go further towards the frame and tie in at the bumper. probably need to beef up the A-pillar mount and the boom, were back at the Garvin/Ghobi rack which is kinda "meh"

Reactions: PNW_LJ
I do tow a trailer sometimes, but I was looking for a more permanent solution. Something that I don't have to go back home and get, but is just always there and available when I need extra storage. Arkansas Off-road built one that looks "ok" I'm not 100% a fan of the tail light mount point. I might go further towards the frame and tie in at the bumper. probably need to beef up the A-pillar mount and the boom, were back at the Garvin/Ghobi rack which is kinda "meh"

Here’s a cheap and light storage solution that I’m planning on getting:
CA87C730-7A62-48D1-9AB9-A14B82370F26.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SYHYHS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You could always go the nuclear option, and get an LJ. :geek:

Reactions: HaydukeLives!
I have Yakima A1 Towers mounted to my hardtop via the front "gutter" channels and two (one on each side) Yakima Wide Body brackets mounted vertically above the back windows. I mounted them 36" (or maybe it was 42") on the center of the crossbars. I've hauled Load Ranger boxes, several different bike racks, and a couple of paddleboards on top without any issues and zero leaks. The A1 Towers and crossbars fasten securely enough to use when lifting the top and in storage. Your mileage may vary. I use the A1 Tower set-up on other vehicle rain gutters so the total cost was in the Wide Body mounts, ~$40.

Reactions: JMT
I have Yakima A1 Towers mounted to my hardtop via the front "gutter" channels and two (one on each side) Yakima Wide Body brackets mounted vertically above the back windows. I mounted them 36" (or maybe it was 42") on the center of the crossbars. I've hauled Load Ranger boxes, several different bike racks, and a couple of paddleboards on top without any issues and zero leaks. The A1 Towers and crossbars fasten securely enough to use when lifting the top and in storage. Your mileage may vary. I use the A1 Tower set-up on other vehicle rain gutters so the total cost was in the Wide Body mounts, ~$40.

Pictures?

Here’s a cheap and light storage solution that I’m planning on getting:
View attachment 426993
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SYHYHS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You could always go the nuclear option, and get an LJ. :geek:

I run some saddle bags for recovery gear and med kits, tools and what not. Need to figure out to haul lumber and luggage to tho. Really I “should” sell the jeep and buy a truck, especially with the weight of the trailers I sometimes haul- But who wants to do that?

Below is by far the cleanest looking roof rack on a Wrangler Hardtop. Hit the junkyard, take some torx bits, drill and drill bits (those nutserts always rust out) and have at it. All the reasons why here:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/xj-cargo-rack-on-tj-hardtop.2747/

With the advancement of glues and epoxies nowadays, I bet you could get away with gluing it on and not have a worry about holes in your hardtop....

Below is by far the cleanest looking roof rack on a Wrangler Hardtop. Hit the junkyard, take some torx bits, drill and drill bits (those nutserts always rust out) and have at it. All the reasons why here:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/xj-cargo-rack-on-tj-hardtop.2747/

With the advancement of glues and epoxies nowadays, I bet you could get away with gluing it on and not have a worry about holes in your hardtop....

super clean setup and the price is right, but the less than 100lbs load limit is a little disappointing.

I’ll echo @JMT, and say that having had a roof rack in the past, I don’t think I would have one again.

View attachment 426977

Difficult to access stuff on top, and raises your center of gravity significantly, enough to feel it even on the street (though you could alleviate some of that with good shocks/swaybars).

If you’re deadset on a roof rack though, I would look at the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform offered for the JK/JL:
View attachment 426978

Any idea who’s Montero that is? That’s an absolutely phenomenal truck. Except for the hi-lift…. 😂