Savvy transfer case shifter cable problem

What is lsd
15339056916917710015309698287392.jpg

It's Limited Slip Differential. ;)

Limited slip differential. The TJ Rubicon rear has one in addition to the locker. The LSD portion of the diff has a tendency to break and it cannot be repaired. It is often recommended to lock the rear when the terrain begins gets gnarly to avoid relying on the LSD to prevent when spin.

thanks ,the acronym lost me . Makes sense . Thanks for the feed back to all of you ..what I love about this forum is being able to talk to other engaged Jeep owners , guys that are into them . It is really cool.

Limited slip differential. The TJ Rubicon rear has one in addition to the locker. The LSD portion of the diff has a tendency to break and it cannot be repaired. It is often recommended to lock the rear when the terrain begins gets gnarly to avoid relying on the LSD to prevent when spin.

It can't be repaired or there aren't OEM parts left available?

Just pricy and best not damaged.

I am amazed at how knowledgeable so many of the guys are on this site.

I'm fairly mechanical and actually worked as a mechanic when I was younger and these guys smoke me.

It is like having your own little TJ dealership mechanics to advise you.

It can't be repaired or there aren't OEM parts left available?
I think even when they were new, the lockers were considered disposable units. You won't find a new one today. I've seen very very few replacement parts.

Personally, I would like to replace mine with ARBs or Eaton e-lockers for the sake of reliability and repairability.

LSD = limited slip differential.

See the brass colored ring located behind the 231's main gear? Well this is called a syncro (short for synchronizer) ring. That ring is made of a softer metal than the actual gear itself, so when your main shift collar is shifted to engage 4WD this "ring" aligns the teeth while everything is moving.

It does also depend on the front driveshaft being in 'synch' with the rear but there are several synchronizers within the 231. I know if my front hubs are unlocked my transfer case will grind if I try to engage 4x4 while rolling, it's a good reminder I need to get out and lock them. :)

Synchronizer.JPG

Last edited:
Based on one article that I read and these were first in production those lockers are foreign made... Which is kind of interesting because everyone starts screaming how American their jeep has to be and then kills their self to get a Rubicon

I may be as wrong as wrong can be but I did read an article stating that there origin or at least the name sounded Japanese.

An air system does bother me a little bit on something that's a decade-and-a-half old just from the standpoint that rubber hoses deteriorate.

Based on one article that I read and these were first in production those lockers are foreign made... Which is kind of interesting because everyone starts screaming how American their jeep has to be and then kills their self to get a Rubicon

I may be as wrong as wrong can be but I did read an article stating that there origin or at least the name sounded Japanese.

An air system does bother me a little bit on something that's a decade-and-a-half old just from the standpoint that rubber hoses deteriorate.

Off topic, but I was shocked when I first learned just how American Toyota pickup trucks are. More American than Ford or Chevy.

Reactions: wraith1516
Exactly it's pretty much out the door thinking anything is made in one country when we have such a global economy.

Nothing to me is more amazing than when you look at where the Japanese were and where they are today.

We invented the car and then they taught us how to make them, and sell so many to us that it's better for them to make them over here, wow we outsource many American jobs so that we can afford our own products.

I had heard recently that our president goes to Mexico to visit our jobs and their president comes here to visit their people.

Reactions: Chris
I think even when they were new, the lockers were considered disposable units. You won't find a new one today. I've seen very very few replacement parts.

Personally, I would like to replace mine with ARBs or Eaton e-lockers for the sake of reliability and repairability.

@David Kishpaugh has a storage room full of factory Rubicon lockers (front and rear) from 03-06 TJs. I believe Blaine might have a bunch as well, but I know for sure David is up to his ears in them.

Still, I'll eventually swap mine out for Eatons or ARBs.

Reactions: jjvw
Exactly it's pretty much out the door thinking anything is made in one country when we have such a global economy.

Nothing to me is more amazing than when you look at where the Japanese were and where they are today.

We invented the car and then they taught us how to make them, and sell so many to us that it's better for them to make them over here, wow we outsource many American jobs so that we can afford our own products.

I had heard recently that our president goes to Mexico to visit our jobs and their president comes here to visit their people.

I work in an industry that outsources much of it's work to other countries. It might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't mind sending jobs out of America. Americans refuse the work, they want obscenely more money, and they don't work as hard on the project. Why should we support that laziness? On top of that, I think outsourcing can allow people to focus on new problems and not be tied up with existing solved problems.

My WWII vet grandpa is probably rolling around in his grave right now.

The lockers are Japanese. The company that now owns the original company that made the lockers is German. I contacted them a few years ago to find out what other vehicles on the international market also used the same lockers as the TJ Rubicon. They have no corporate memory of these lockers ever having existed.

The air system is pretty reliable and robust. The problem is that the rear has too much crammed into a small space. The LSD is small and weak compared to a TruTrack. The helical gears tend to strip. So far, I have never seen an example of someone repairing them from spare parts.

Incidentally, several months ago it was discovered that KIA and I think Suzuki used the same air pump for the axle disconnects on their small SUVs.

My WWII vet grandpa is probably rolling around in his grave right now.

I probably have long dead grandpas that are rolling at the thought of the colonies rebelling. Why can't the world just stay the same! :)

The lockers are Japanese. The company that now owns the original company that made the lockers is German. I contacted them a few years ago to find out what other vehicles on the international market also used the same lockers as the TJ Rubicon. They have no corporate memory of these lockers ever having existed.

The air system is pretty reliable and robust. The problem is that the rear has too much crammed into a small space. The LSD is small and weak compared to a TruTrack. The helical gears tend to strip. So far, I have never seen an example of someone repairing them from spare parts.

Incidentally, several months ago it was discovered that KIA and I think Suzuki used the same air pump for the axle disconnects on their small SUVs.

Do you know if it's possible to run a front Rubicon locker in the rear? You know, so you could get rid of the LSD in the rear locker.

Do you know if it's possible to run a front Rubicon locker in the rear? You know, so you could get rid of the LSD in the rear locker.
It will swap. But the front locker isn't all that tough either. Since the swap requires setting up the gears, I don't see the value in using a stock locker over other options, unless you have one laying around.

Limited slip differential. The TJ Rubicon rear has one in addition to the locker. The LSD portion of the diff has a tendency to break and it cannot be repaired..
While some have been known to break, I can't agree they have a tendency to break. I've never seen one break on the trail (my wheeling groups tend to be loaded with TJ Rubicons) and mine is still doing fine, knock on wood. :)