Setting up a kill switch (hidden in plain sight)

I know there is no way to stop a thief that really wants your Jeep, but let's at least make it more difficult.

I thought I would post my combination lock kill switch ... It uses 3 (or more) switches that must be in the correct position for the Jeep to start. Since it's in plain sight, any would-be thief would first need to know that one of those maybe a kill switch, then know that it's all 3, and lastly, know the combination. It works great and once I paint the interior black you probably won't even see them.

With 3 switches there are 8 combinations, 4 switches have 16 combinations and so on.

View attachment 12643

Here is the write up for installation:

1) Find which connector your vehicle uses according to the chart at the bottom of the schematic.

Connector locations are as follows:

1997 - 2002 connector 106 location:

View attachment 12644

2003 - 2004 connector 103 location:

View attachment 12645

2) Cut the ADE (Auto Disable/re-Enable) wire 5 or 6 inches up from your respective connector

3) Solder the wire coming from your connector to the relay socket wires going to relay terminals 30 and 86. This is your hot ignition wire and will supply power to the NEW relay and the ADE relay once the switches are closed.

4) Use terminal lugs to connect all 3 switches in series (see schematic). Soldering the wires may damage the switches.

5) Mount the switches in your console and run the wires down to the NEW relay. You should only have two unconnected wires, one on each end of the series connected switches.

6) Connect one of the open wires to chassis ground and the other to the wire coming off terminal 85 of the NEW relay. This connection will supply the NEW relay's coil ground once the switches are closed.

7) Setting the "combination" is as simple as arranging how the switches are positioned when closed. Example:

SW1
ON — OFF
SW2
ON — OFF
SW3
OFF — ON

So, for the vehicle to start the top 2 switched would need to be pointed left when closed and the bottom switch right.

Schematic:

View attachment 12646

Parts List

Relay – $2.98

Relay Socket — $3.79

Switches (3) — $2.18 ea.

18 AWG wire

Let me know if you have any questions.
That's genius! Think I'll do something like that while I'm running fog light wires ☺

This is what I did, I made some "make belief" multiple wirings and multiple switches in plain site where other wrangler forum mentioned their typical locations in previous threads about 5 years ago.

With those infos. I chose where I decided NOT to put my "kill switch".

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
This is what I did, I made some "make belief" multiple wirings and multiple switches in plain site where other wrangler forum mentioned their typical locations in previous threads about 5 years ago.

With those infos. I chose where I decided NOT to put my "kill switch".
I like the way you think...:thumbsup: carefully designed to confuse and disorient lol

That will definable slow a thief down. You can also use SPDT (single pole double throw) switches in series to increase the possible combinations with less switches to wire in. I have two on my 68 caddy.

How does a SPDT actually increase the combinations from a usage stand point? Let's assume the thief knows "off" is "off." From the perspective of the OP's post then, Left could be off or on, Right could be on or off. Unless I'm missing something with the SPDT, L could still be on/off and R could still be on/off??

My theft deterrent is a third pedal to the left of the brake pedal. I've had friends attempt to move my vehicles before (cars and motorcycles) to confuse me when I come back into the parking lot with no prevail. I know that only goes so far and your anti theft method you original write up is much better off.

In this application, you have a series of switches that form a combination that must be set correctly to start the vehicle. More switches make it more difficult to figure out the correct combination. Adding dummy switches to the series just makes it incrementally more difficult to determine the correct combination. So, assuming 4 switches total in my instance—only 3 of which are actually wired to provide the ground for the relay to the ADE—I have an extra "dummy" switch. I was thinking that it would be a clever trick to play on a would-be thief if that one dummy switch was wired to some sort of alarm. As the only "stock alarm" function on the TJ is the horn, [tl;dr] I was curious if anyone has any thoughts as to how incorrectly setting the combination could cause the horn to sound in such a way that would not kill the battery if the rocker switch was left in the "on" position, e.g., if a would-be thief activated it and then split for fear of being noticed.

Reactions: Ephry73
Sorry to necro an old thread but I really like this idea. I’m terrible with wiring and wiring diagrams so could you show a picture of how you did the wiring for the switches? @CodaMan

Sorry to necro an old thread but I really like this idea. I’m terrible with wiring and wiring diagrams so could you show a picture of how you did the wiring for the switches? @CodaMan

I'm not sure how I can help you more than the schematic I posted in post #1. If you have a specific question you can PM me for a detailed answer.

I’ve relocated my starter wire. It takes the key to turn the computers on. But a separate action to actually start the vehicle.

I do not have a skim key. A thief will take what a thief wants. It’s our job to deter them as much as possible.

Reactions: qslim and Squatch
I'm not sure how I can help you more than the schematic I posted in post #1. If you have a specific question you can PM me for a detailed answer.

I wanted to send you a PM but I couldn't find a button for it (maybe I can't because I don't have enough posts yet?) Anyways, after reading your OP a little more I'm more confident about how its supposed to look but still a little confused.

86 and 30 both get soldered to the ADE - I'm assuming one to each end after the wire is cut.
85 goes to one end of the switches which are in series and connected to ground.
87 I’m not sure about. Where does it go?

Last edited:
This is cool, thieves are rarely clever. Most are in a hurry and the time to defeat this would likely defeat their attempt. I had my old enduro wired to only start with the high beams on. It was pushed down my driveway twice but never stolen. (No garage back in those days.)

My dad told me a story about stealing his sisters VW Beetle when he was about 12 with no tools at all. He would open the trunk (engine cover), remove the spade connector from the driver tail light, and plug it into the ignition coil, turn on the headlights, then push start the car. The tailight circuit would feed the ignition eliminating the need for the key to be on. Or some variation of that. He stole it several times without her knowing, and got caught when he was stopped by a cop for having a taillight out.

I wanted to send you a PM but I couldn't find a button for it (maybe I can't because I don't have enough posts yet?) Anyways, after reading your OP a little more I'm more confident about how its supposed to look but still a little confused.

86 and 30 both get soldered to the ADE - I'm assuming one to each end after the wire is cut.
85 goes to one end of the switches which are in series and connected to ground.
87 I’m not sure about. Where does it go?

Yes, you don't have enough posts to PM, but here goes.

The ASD wire is cut. Then the end closest to the connector is connected to relay pin 86. The other end is connected to relay pin 87 (not 87a). You will also need a jumper from the wire connected to 86 and connect it to 30. 86 and 30 will now both have 12 volts on them and when the ground is applied to relay pin 85 it will close the relay's contacts and connect pins 30 to 87 thus supplying 12 volts to the ASD relay. The ground is supplied to relay pin 85 through the switches you install. You need to make sure that the switches you use have no markings or lights telling you which way is on/off, that way you can just rotate them 180 degrees to set the "combination" you want to allow the Jeep to start.

Some people have said that using 3 switches has to few combinations and a thief can figure it out in a couple minutes. I beg to differ. A thief would first need to know that there is a cutoff switch. Then he would need to know that it's the switch right there on the dash and not a hidden one like most people would install. Then they would need to know that it's a combination of all 3 switches that overrides the cutoff. I don't think any will figure all that out in a few minutes let alone a few hours.

Yes, you don't have enough posts to PM, but here goes.

The ASD wire is cut. Then the end closest to the connector is connected to relay pin 86. The other end is connected to relay pin 87 (not 87a). You will also need a jumper from the wire connected to 86 and connect it to 30. 86 and 30 will now both have 12 volts on them and when the ground is applied to relay pin 85 it will close the relay's contacts and connect pins 30 to 87 thus supplying 12 volts to the ASD relay. The ground is supplied to relay pin 85 through the switches you install. You need to make sure that the switches you use have no markings or lights telling you which way is on/off, that way you can just rotate them 180 degrees to set the "combination" you want to allow the Jeep to start.

Ahhh okay I see. The jumper wire was tripping me up. Thank you so much! Also is ASD the same as what’s called ADE in that original schematic you posted?

I agree with the combination. That’s what I like about this kill switch so much more than any other kill switch.

Ahhh okay I see. The jumper wire was tripping me up. Thank you so much! Also is ASD the same as what’s called ADE in that original schematic you posted?

I agree with the combination. That’s what I like about this kill switch so much more than any other kill switch.

Yes, sorry, same thing.

Some people have said that using 3 switches has to few combinations and a thief can figure it out in a couple minutes. I beg to differ. A thief would first need to know that there is a cutoff switch. Then he would need to know that it's the switch right there on the dash and not a hidden one like most people would install. Then they would need to know that it's a combination of all 3 switches that overrides the cutoff. I don't think any will figure all that out in a few minutes let alone a few hours.
My mom always says, "locks only stop honest thieves." If someone wants your Jeep badly enough, they'll take it. That said, I think this is a great mod and I have a series of 5 switches. 2 of which control lights and 3 of which are the combo for the kill switch. If I remember to set it, there's almost no chance someone is going to figure out why my nearly 20-year-old Jeep fails to start in the 2-3 minutes they're willing to risk being spotted and waste time actually stealing something that will start more easily. I've used kill switches since before I could drive and this is by far the best innovation (i.e., switches in the clear) that I have seen in 30 some years.