Setting up links for variable height suspension

i jumped into this game balls to the wall and stupid.
and have been forced to learn or fail. all my my pain is self inflicted to boot.

it came down to MC or Currie and i made the wrong call there to save a few hundred $'s.
MC is not the worst decision i could have made. but what i know now, would have directed me differently.
and i'd have not chosen either SA sys.

i'm a hands on guy, i like to tinker and the Jeep is the perfect platform, minus the huge expense of course.

most of these guys would probably tell ya i'm doing a lot of work for no real reason, but i see the mods and why they are done and that's stuff i wanna do. so i'm building proactive.

good bunch of guys here, and i could not have gotten as far as i have without many more mistakes, without their help.

as far as my thread i try to document what i'm doing, maybe it could save someone some aggravation or offer another idea. but not everything i've done has panned out perfect, and i'll have quite a few rework notes and don't do's when this build gets closer to the finish line.

i jumped into this game balls to the wall and stupid.
and have been forced to learn or fail. all my my pain is self inflicted to boot.

it came down to MC or Currie and i made the wrong call there to save a few hundred $'s.
MC is not the worst decision i could have made. but what i know now, would have directed me differently.
and i'd have not chosen either SA sys.

i'm a hands on guy, i like to tinker and the Jeep is the perfect platform, minus the huge expense of course.

most of these guys would probably tell ya i'm doing a lot of work for no real reason, but i see the mods and why they are done and that's stuff i wanna do. so i'm building proactive.

good bunch of guys here, and i could not have gotten as far as i have without many more mistakes, without their help.

as far as my thread i try to document what i'm doing, maybe it could save someone some aggravation or offer another idea. but not everything i've done has panned out perfect, and i'll have quite a few rework notes and don't do's when this build gets closer to the finish line.

I really wish JeepsUnlimted was still around so that I could show people my first build thread. There is one on Pirate but it isn't as in-depth as the one on JeepsUnlimted. I've made a ton of mistakes with my build also but I think that is just part of the learning curve.

My biggest problem is that I have a few constrictions on how I have to do my build. Keeping my air bags makes this harder than it would be if I went with CO. I'd have to redo everything all the way down to building new axles since mine are stock width. And has been debated a lot stretching the WB only a few inches isn't worth the hassle but from my experiance where I live that little bit of added length can help. Also going too long then gives you a negative return in trying to fit down tight trails between the trees.

As I do this build I am going to try and really look at what tire size I want with this once I'm done. I really like the 38" tires but might look at going back to a 36" tire.

my axle width and wheel BS might hold me off a few tighter trails in the woods, as will my turn radius after stretched.

tires are our pitfall. we strive to raise the rig clean up the bottom, skid it all up. then we need 35" wheels to retain the height of a 32" cause we run at 8-12psi.

Reactions: Wildman
IDK the TMR is beef sure, but it's .25" more than what your trying to mimic here, that effects geometry.
the Barnes is something that could be workable if it has the platform depth, meaning the joint needs placed center axle. can the brackets be placed back for this to happen, and cocking the joints lengthens the depth needed.

IDK the TMR is beef sure, but it's .25" more than what your trying to mimic here, that effects geometry.
the Barnes is something that could be workable if it has the platform depth, meaning the joint needs placed center axle. can the brackets be placed back for this to happen, and cocking the joints lengthens the depth needed.

I'm likin the one from Barnes 4WD but they don't say how wide the top plate is so I messaged them asking.

Edit: Should have looked at my emails before I posted. They already replied. It's 4 11/16 wide.

pull them 2 brackets out of the box twist um like you think they'll sit and measure the furthest point front to back. if it'll fit onto a 4.75" deck and be centered above the tube and tight down to that diff, your good.

Reactions: Wildman
The Clayton Gyro Joints arrived yesterday. When I opened the shipping box at first I thought maybe they had sent me the wrong joints.
20200414_110243.jpg

But then I opened that box and found this inside.

20200414_110105.jpg
20200414_110150.jpg

So we'll find out soon if they work for what I need and then longevity of them.

Edit: Got an email back from TeraFlex finally about their truss and it is a NOGO for my axle. The CRD 60 I have is a 1st Gen and they have made updates to the axle so their truss will not fit my axle.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat