Should I add hydro-assist?

If you aren't bleeding them by turning the pump pulley with something like an air ratchet to make sure there is absolutely no air in the system before you start it, you likely smoked the ring and rotor. It will progressively get worse due to the pits from cavitation that it will make noise at lower and lower rpms until it does it all the time. The high performance pumps have zero tolerance for cavitation.
I did not do that, just lots and lots of turning the wheel and once I started it I only ran it for short periods and went back to turning the wheel with the engine off.

I did not do that, just lots and lots of turning the wheel and once I started it I only ran it for short periods and went back to turning the wheel with the engine off.
If it made any noise during the start and run for short periods which no one does if they are dead silent, then you smoked the pump.

I looked into this as well. Warranty would be void as soon as you modify the pump. And should it go bad you would loose any core credit as well.
I'm not discounting it as an option for anyone so inclined, it just doesn't pencil out for us. I need a cheaper alternative for some of the folks I take care of and this one isn't it for us.

I have this pump:

https://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehi...-temp/95-02-jeep-yj-xj-tj-zj/psc-sp1205c.html
And I bought a "budget assist kit". I installed the box but have not put the cylinder on yet. Can I get away with that pump and just add a cooler or should I jump in and do the pump/res/cooler when I add cylinder to get best results?
What length cylinder did you buy? From my understanding MrBlaine’s cylinder is modified to be a bit shorter to work properly in the location it is mounted. The TJs unique steering is what presents the challenge with off the shelf kits.

What length cylinder did you buy? From my understanding MrBlaine’s cylinder is modified to be a bit shorter to work properly in the location it is mounted. The TJs unique steering is what presents the challenge with off the shelf kits.
It is modified but not in such a way that anyone with a cut off disc on a grinder couldn't do it. You shorten the shaft by about 3/4" and take the same off of both rod ends and eliminate the jam nuts. Replace the jam nuts with Loctite 609 and you're good to go. The PSC 6" x 1.5" bore works perfectly when you do this. Others might as well but without knowing how they are constructed, I can't verify.

If it made any noise during the start and run for short periods which no one does if they are dead silent, then you smoked the pump.
I followed the PSC instructions line-by-line, except that I spun the pump by hand between Steps 4 and 5 based on some of your comments in other threads. I get some whine at higher RPM (above 3500), which some say is normal but others say is a problem. There is no noise whatsoever at idle or up to around 3000 RPM.

Should I talk with PSC about a replacement?

It is modified but not in such a way that anyone with a cut off disc on a grinder couldn't do it. You shorten the shaft by about 3/4" and take the same off of both rod ends and eliminate the jam nuts. Replace the jam nuts with Loctite 609 and you're good to go. The PSC 6" x 1.5" bore works perfectly when you do this. Others might as well but without knowing how they are constructed, I can't verify.
IMG_0233.jpg

Here's what Blaine is talking about - I trimmed mine up per his instructions with an angle grinder and hand file. It was quite easy...

Reactions: WSS and Gollywomper
I followed the PSC instructions line-by-line, except that I spun the pump by hand between Steps 4 and 5 based on some of your comments in other threads. I get some whine at higher RPM (above 3500), which some say is normal but others say is a problem. There is no noise whatsoever at idle or up to around 3000 RPM.

Should I talk with PSC about a replacement?
Yes

The only problem I have is your "less expensive" description. I bought one and used it on an install with the owner's permission to test it. I did not have to chop down the extension and it still wound up being the same price as a PSC and far more labor.
Out of curiosity, do you think the performance was comparable or less than that of the mid-flow PSC pump?

Unfortunately I have no way to quantitatively measure the flow of either pump.

The only problem I have is your "less expensive" description. I bought one and used it on an install with the owner's permission to test it. I did not have to chop down the extension and it still wound up being the same price as a PSC and far more labor.
I just installed a hydro assist system on my TJ and tried to save money by piecing a kit together. I used Blaine’s ram and bracket kit, had West Texas Off-road tap the stock box and make some lines, and then added a PSC cooler and steering pump. I Would have been better off buying the complete kit because with shipping I only saved maybe a hundred bucks.

Reactions: Irun
I just installed a hydro assist system on my TJ and tried to save money by piecing a kit together. I used Blaine’s ram and bracket kit, had West Texas Off-road tap the stock box and make some lines, and then added a PSC cooler and steering pump. I Would have been better off buying the complete kit because with shipping I only saved maybe a hundred bucks.
How does it do? I have a fresh stock box and am leaning toward having it tapped.

Out of curiosity, do you think the performance was comparable or less than that of the mid-flow PSC pump?

Unfortunately I have no way to quantitatively measure the flow of either pump.
I don't have a way to know and this one won't tell me until he moves to hydro assist and needs more flow. For now it is just running a steering gear and the stock pump will do that at all but the faster turns.

Reactions: Steel City 06
How does it do? I have a fresh stock box and am leaning toward having it tapped.
I only have one snow run on the system but it was a huge improvement. I run 35 inch tires with a selectable front locker and air down to around 9psi when off-road. Previously I would get bound up on the rocks and had issues with tight turns on wooded trails. This last trip, a lot of those problems were resolved.

I chose to send my stock box in to be tapped and rebuilt. West Texas said they did not have any boxes in stock to send so that was the only option.

bleeding the system was tough. I got the recommended swepco 715 fluid and used almost 3 qts.

I only have one snow run on the system but it was a huge improvement. I run 35 inch tires with a selectable front locker and air down to around 9psi when off-road. Previously I would get bound up on the rocks and had issues with tight turns on wooded trails. This last trip, a lot of those problems were resolved.

I chose to send my stock box in to be tapped and rebuilt. West Texas said they did not have any boxes in stock to send so that was the only option.

bleeding the system was tough. I got the recommended swepco 715 fluid and used almost 3 qts.
What pump are you using?
Oops. I reread PSC. Sorry

What pump are you using?
I originally bought the PSC stock replacement pump with attached reservoir. However, the pulley was bent out of the box and caused the belt to squeal. I had to send it back and currently waiting on their warranty determination, so for the time being I am running my stock pump.

When the system is cold I can tell because the steering feels a little tight; but performance was still improved. I did not have any of the pump whine that inexperienced prior. I am running the PSC cooler that has the transmission cooler as well.

Reactions: Gollywomper
What issue does using the stock box present?
The core bank is fucked. There are no new castings. So, if you get a reman or send yours in to get reman you get back the same worn bore or someone else's worn bore since there is no way to rebuild them. The piston wears the bore with the wheels straight ahead since that is where it spends most of the time while driving, just slight back and forth adjustments to keep it going straight. When they set the lash back after a reman on a worn bore they have to sorta split the difference between too much slop on center and not enough return to center. If you dig around on YouTube, there are a few videos showing how the sector shaft interfaces with the piston and how pulling up the sector to set lash interferes with return to center or creates slop on center.

We used to use the PSC small bore ported boxes until the cores got so bad that we couldn't depend on them any more. We wound up having problems with about 80% of them so we won't even install one now. Small bore is the reman stock TJ Saginaw box.

I originally bought the PSC stock replacement pump with attached reservoir. However, the pulley was bent out of the box and caused the belt to squeal. I had to send it back and currently waiting on their warranty determination, so for the time being I am running my stock pump.

When the system is cold I can tell because the steering feels a little tight; but performance was still improved. I did not have any of the pump whine that inexperienced prior. I am running the PSC cooler that has the transmission cooler as well.
We can't use that pump. It has a resonant vibe through the hoses on some of them that makes it a no go.

Reactions: Lax22