Should I install a dropped pitman arm?

I am still a bit confused. I think I have a dropped pitman arm and a dropped bracket, so no further parts here are necessary. I took some pictures to see if I’m on the right track.

11ACB010-77CB-4539-8194-C0181E85B1F4.jpeg

FA5A0ABC-0CF8-483D-ADEF-29C4B60D7FF9.jpeg

493AF522-0DE1-4DC2-9319-B4ABFA7F5961.jpeg

1B675325-1C97-4908-BA5A-8C4C767CFB09.jpeg

49CCD6E6-FDB0-419F-B0F6-A5FE25800BEE.jpeg

Last edited:
I am still a bit confused. I think I have a dropped pitman arm and a dropped bracket, so no further parts here are necessary. I took some pictures to see if I’m on the right track.

View attachment 149930

View attachment 149931

View attachment 149932

View attachment 149933

View attachment 149934

View attachment 149935

View attachment 149936

Your's has a dropped pitman arm and a dropped frame side track bar bracket.

Ideally, neither should be there. But both together should not screw up the steering.

Your's has a dropped pitman arm and a dropped frame side track bar bracket.

Ideally, neither should be there. But both together should not screw up the steering.

okay that is what I thought. It’s finally starting to click.

I’ll leave this item alone for the time being and focus on the re gear.

Reactions: jjvw
Not only do the drop pitman arms drop the fixing point lower, they also skew it off to the side about 40mm, see photos. The drag link would have to be wound right in for it to fit on my right hand drive, I did not like the look of it so I did not use it.
20200524_125529.jpg20200524_125501.jpg

Not only do the drop pitman arms drop the fixing point lower, they also skew it off to the side about 40mm, see photos. The drag link would have to be wound right in for it to fit on my right hand drive, I did not like the look of it so I did not use it.
View attachment 164046View attachment 164045
Oh wait a sec, I'm in NZ so mine is Right hand drive, I'm not 100% sure but the alignment could be the difference between RHD & LHD...

I'm not sold on on installing the dropped pitman arm, I just put a 3 inch lift on my tj and now when i lift the drag link to put it on the pitman arm it pulls the passenger side wheels inward, if that pitman arm was down lower that won't happen

how do I identify if i have a dropped pitman arm? Someone mentioned to me in another thread that mine is dropped (see pic) but Im not clear on what demonstrates that.

03CC385B-AAE1-4273-9A49-D31BEE771D2A.jpeg

Yep looks like a dropped one to me. Do yourself a favor and get rid of it. I recommend the Moog part, both the Omix and Crown parts did not fit my TJ properly as the hole was not tapered to suit the steering box shaft when I got them a few months back.

The problem you might have after fitting a stock drop though is the steering damper binding on the drag link due to its fatter than stock diameter.

how do I identify if i have a dropped pitman arm? Someone mentioned to me in another thread that mine is dropped (see pic) but Im not clear on what demonstrates that.

View attachment 204850
Just to answer your question, identifying a drop pitman arm is pretty simple. Here’s a picture displaying varying amounts of drop.
A drop pitman arm does just that, drops down to the drag link on a lifted vehicle.
1605994978365.jpeg

Most factory car/truck pitman arms would fall between the flat pitman arm and the one second from left.

Reactions: imactj2004
I'm not sold on on installing the dropped pitman arm, I just put a 3 inch lift on my tj and now when i lift the drag link to put it on the pitman arm it pulls the passenger side wheels inward, if that pitman arm was down lower that won't happen
Send a picture of your front track bar where it meets the upper frame.

I've got another situation that I would like some clarity on. Currently my drag link and track bar are not parallel. This is because my new drag link has spacers for the joint that drops it about 1.5". Since I can't mount it on the top(doesn't clear the radiator), I may buy a small dropped PA and mount the DL to the top of it, hopefully raising it above the Track bar and making the two parallel again. Thoughts?

The clearance issue:
PXL_20210501_170906751.jpg

The current setup. The top mounts of both the DL and TB are of equal height, but the TB is mounted lower on the passenger side of the axle than the DR
PXL_20210501_170340429.jpg
PXL_20210501_170844172.jpg

I've got another situation that I would like some clarity on. Currently my drag link and track bar are not parallel. This is because my new drag link has spacers for the joint that drops it about 1.5". Since I can't mount it on the top(doesn't clear the radiator), I may buy a small dropped PA and mount the DL to the top of it, hopefully raising it above the Track bar and making the two parallel again. Thoughts?

The clearance issue:
View attachment 249012

The current setup. The top mounts of both the DL and TB are of equal height, but the TB is mounted lower on the passenger side of the axle than the DR
View attachment 249013View attachment 249014
Ditch that crap and go back to stock with an HD tie rod.

Yep to late. I wanna work with what I got. Its already has tighter steering than stock. Even if they were perfectly parallel, would some bump steer still be present?

Yep to late. I wanna work with what I got. Its already has tighter steering than stock. Even if they were perfectly parallel, would some bump steer still be present?
I just bought HD cross over steering kit and have my OG TJ knuckles in, I plan on testing out the HD steering with those knuckles and then replace the knuckles with new ones with Mr.Blaines kit, so my question for you is was the HD cross over steering better than factory y link? How does your jeep now steer? I don't want to return my cross over steering given it took 2 months to make and get here but if you tell me the cross over Is worse it would save me the trouble. Thanks!

I just bought HD cross over steering kit and have my OG TJ knuckles in, I plan on testing out the HD steering with those knuckles and then replace the knuckles with new ones with Mr.Blaines kit, so my question for you is was the HD cross over steering better than factory y link? How does your jeep now steer? I don't want to return my cross over steering given it took 2 months to make and get here but if you tell me the cross over Is worse it would save me the trouble. Thanks!
Crossover steering on stock axles works worse than the factory y-link steering.

Reactions: RonnieS
Road manners haven't changed since the swap, and bump steer had significantly decreased. The front end feels tighter and smoother on rough road. Could brand new rod ends have fixed my issues? Possibly. But I have a lifetime warranty on that piece and overall happy with my purchase.

Reactions: RonnieS
Road manners haven't changed since the swap, and bump steer had significantly decreased. The front end feels tighter and smoother on rough road. Could brand new rod ends have fixed my issues? Possibly. But I have a lifetime warranty on that piece and overall happy with my purchase.
nice, I've got a new dana 44 going in with the cross over in the front. I will definitely try it out!

So, I do have an adjustable track bar mounted in the factory spots. Mine also doesnt sway much, but what I do have I’d the passenger side disconnect hitting the joint right underneath it. The drop pitman arm would solve this, however, sounds like it may cause huge issues with my steering* that is not messed up. Ant thoughts on this?

2A551EFD-2926-4560-BA81-1E2A31A67D3F.jpeg

So, I do have an adjustable track bar mounted in the factory spots. Mine also doesnt sway much, but what I do have I’d the passenger side disconnect hitting the joint right underneath it. The drop pitman arm would solve this, however, sounds like it may cause huge issues with my steering* that is not messed up. Ant thoughts on this?

View attachment 272972
The axle is pushed too far forward via the control arms. Or the front pinion is too high. Or the drag link is bent from ramming into something.