Soft top vs hard top

This thread is lame so far no pics. Here is my top it is brand new and I love it. I will warn you though I pulled all of the roll bar padding off so if I open the sun roof the top flaps against the roll bar on the freeway. It is pretty noisy, but if the top is on and you are driving on the freeway it is actually quieter than the stock soft top. It straps to the roll bars.
View attachment 32598
I just made this thread rock!!
Right on man, I took the padding off of my roll bars too. Sweet jeep man..

I got mine through 4 Wheel Parts as they were having a sale. Amazon would have been my second choice. If you have the funds, go for the black twill fabric.

The black twill is a deeper color and the heavy material is better for sound and insulation. It’s also a deep black in the interior where the other materials are more of a gray.

Reactions: Anthfab and Starrs
Oh one other tip, the Bestop sticker on the back window is in fact a sticker and will peel off. It leaves behind a raised outline when you remove but that will go away with a few outside temperature changes.

It’s bright yellow and sticks out so you will likely want it gone!

Reactions: Anthfab and Starrs
So many options! I have a hardtop and a hoist in the garage so taking on / off is no big deal. I have a mesh top that stays on all the time.
However, my wife and I were just talking about how nice it might be to have a soft top also. Too many times around here, when you leave for work in the morning it is beautiful outside. Then as the day goes on, humidity builds and we get a downpour just in time for the drive home.
This has prevented us from taking the jeep to work many times. It would be nice to have the option to put the top up if it were raining when we left work.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Where did you buys yours at? I think I’m gonna go that route too..
Not positive if you wanted the frame or frameless, but just in case it was frameless, I got mine for a Christmas present from the lady, but it is a bestop. I think she ordered it from bestop, but could have been Amazon.

Oh one other tip, the Bestop sticker on the back window is in fact a sticker and will peel off. It leaves behind a raised outline when you remove but that will go away with a few outside temperature changes.

It’s bright yellow and sticks out so you will likely want it gone!
I will be doing this ASAP!! Never thought about that

Buddy just got the Supertop NX from Amazon, with free shipping they can be hard to beat. I recall when he ordered last week Quadratec was significantly more. I'm still rocking an OEM top on my LJ, got lucky and found a dude that had an used one in his garage last year, so I can continue with the khaki top for a bit longer.

Yes but with the pieces coming down from the top in the rear it would look more like a one-piece than a bikini! :risas3:
If you want to get technical, the windows removed on a trek top make it more like a safari top than a bikini - it covers the rear seat also...:p

I love my stock soft top and half doors as there are a number of variations on how you can run, depending on the weather and temp etc. You location plays an important part in my opinion.

For example,Down here it can get sub-tropical so hot and high humidity in the morning then a quick shower to clear the air and back to sun shine again..Last night I went out the supermarket about 11.30pm stars where out so top off, door off...on the way home felt like it was going to rain so top went up (no back or side windows) and still no doors, and just in time as the heavens opened for 10 mins ...so the soft top suits me well. If we have snow half of the year though..I’d be running a hard top.

We have had only the soft top for two years now, it came with it when I bought it. For security I wouldn’t mind having a hard top, but they are spendy. But, I love that I can take the top down in ten minutes and enjoy it. Of course if the weather goes foul, back up in ten. Have done it on the side of the road. In fact on the trip the attached photo was from. Up in the mountains it was like 75 or 80 out, very nice. But, going home through the desert, over 100. So 3/4’s down the mountain we put the top back on and turned on the a/c. It was a blast. Sorry for the crummy pic, obviously shot through the dirty window of the other Jeep, wife driving our Jeep.
2ae4a7a8cd101c00b01f50fd3411652f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT and Kiwi TJ
I have a hard top for winter and a soft top for summer. I wouldn't want it any other way.
I would not recommend selling your hard top if you can afford not to.
You only have to switch tops twice/year.
It will also keep your soft top in better condition longer, as the winters can accelerate the wear/tear on soft tops IMO.

I have the factory hard top and a BestTop softtop...and a factory soft top "in storage" because the rear zipper broke.
I haven't thrown it out in case I need it for an "emergency".
Note - I love the tinted windows on my BestTop softtop, and recommend tinted windows.

We have had only the soft top for two years now, it came with it when I bought it. For security I wouldn’t mind having a hard top, but they are spendy. But, I love that I can take the top down in ten minutes and enjoy it. Of course if the weather goes foul, back up in ten. Have done it on the side of the road. In fact on the trip the attached photo was from. Up in the mountains it was like 75 or 80 out, very nice. But, going home through the desert, over 100. So 3/4’s down the mountain we put the top back on and turned on the a/c. It was a blast. Sorry for the crummy pic, obviously shot through the dirty window of the other Jeep, wife driving our Jeep. View attachment 32674Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice! A TJ in its natural habitat!
I have a hard top for winter and a soft top for summer. I wouldn't want it any other way.
I would not recommend selling your hard top if you can afford not to.
You only have to switch tops twice/year.
It will also keep your soft top in better condition longer, as the winters can accelerate the wear/tear on soft tops IMO.

I have the factory hard top and a BestTop softtop...and a factory soft top "in storage" because the rear zipper broke.
I haven't thrown it out in case I need it for an "emergency".
Note - I love the tinted windows on my BestTop softtop, and recommend tinted windows.
Top notch advice right there.

Reactions: Reign Mack
It's actually a very good question, one that i pondered for quite a while.
I ended up with a hardtop and only handle it twice a year.....take it off in the spring, back on in the fall.

During the warm months I'm topless/doorless and do carry a Bestop bikini top for rain or extremely hot days.

Everyone has they're likes and dislikes but during the winter I'd prefer a hardtop.
Good friend of mine has the Super top NX and never heard him complain and one huge advantage he has.......Every time we get an unseasonably warm day during the cold months, his top is off, mine is on due to the hassle.

Much colder in the winter. If you live somewhere that they salt the zippers will get stuck until you clean them that's not a big issue as when it's below freezing the windows are so stiff you don't dare open them and they don't flex. (and good luck zipping them up again after)

Mine doesn't leak much in the carwash but a bit of spray around the bottom corners of the rear window is normal.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

get yourself some sliders and you don't have to worry about cracking your door windows when it's cold
wcr37kX.jpg

Much colder in the winter. If you live somewhere that they salt the zippers will get stuck until you clean them that's not a big issue as when it's below freezing the windows are so stiff you don't dare open them and they don't flex. (and good luck zipping them up again after)

Mine doesn't leak much in the carwash but a bit of spray around the bottom corners of the rear window is normal.

get yourself some sliders and you don't have to worry about cracking your door windows when it's cold
wcr37kX.jpg

wcr37kX.jpg