Soft top vs hard top

I enjoy having both. I store my hardtop in my carport with a hillbilly hardtop hoisting contraption. Makes it a one man operation too.
P1050733.JPG

In the summer time, I just park forward instead of backing in.
P1050734.JPG

Right on.. what soft top do you prefer? Any out there that you’d rather have?
I've only owned oem tops (I buy em when I see em cheap as I own an LJ so it's not so easy to find used tops.) I'd love a trektop NX so I don't have to worry about damaging the frame on trees wheeling, but as I have 3 oem tops it won't be something I can justify soon. My jeep is a dedicated summer wheeler but I still own a hard top just in case. (again LJ tops are hard to find)

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

This thread is lame so far no pics. Here is my top it is brand new and I love it. I will warn you though I pulled all of the roll bar padding off so if I open the sun roof the top flaps against the roll bar on the freeway. It is pretty noisy, but if the top is on and you are driving on the freeway it is actually quieter than the stock soft top. It straps to the roll bars.
View attachment 32598
I just made this thread rock!!

I have never seen this kind of top.. LOVE it though. Awesome looking, super clean looking!

Reactions: ac_
Thanks, they have been around a while. I got the black diamond one. I really like how easy it is to flip the top backwards, and have a sunroof. Or unzip the 3 windows, and have a safari top. It has that new top smell! haha

Reactions: TrooperJosh
I only drove my Jeep over to Ohio to 4 wheel hardware in a damn blizzard and I don't understand why people are talking about "being warmer" or whatever? I was plenty warm and no issues with a soft top with a hole in the side window. Was cold as crap and snowing. My windshield wipers were garbage was my only complaint as I had to get out and wipe it off with my hands as it was just not working. I am going all soft top in Pittsburgh. Hard top isn't worth the bother IMHO.

Reactions: ac_ and Starrs
It’s Texas here, but I’ve run doors on no soft top windows in the 30’s and the heater keeps it warm enough in the cab.

I only drove my Jeep over to Ohio to 4 wheel hardware in a damn blizzard and I don't understand why people are talking about "being warmer" or whatever? I was plenty warm and no issues with a soft top with a hole in the side window. Was cold as crap and snowing. My windshield wipers were garbage was my only complaint as I had to get out and wipe it off with my hands as it was just not working. I am going all soft top in Pittsburgh. Hard top isn't worth the bother IMHO.
Amen. Soft top is just to simple to not enjoy.

Amen. Soft top is just to simple to not enjoy.

I personally am on the fence. My lady's TJ has a hard top, and when I drive it, there is no blind spot, although that said, not much of a blind spot on my supertop either, and it is super quiet. My NX is super quiet as long as everything is on and zipped, but there is nothing like a noisy soft top with half of it taken off. It reminds you that you own a Jeep. Although, I do see the appeal of a hard top. I still love the nostalgia of the soft top.

I personally am on the fence. My lady's TJ has a hard top, and when I drive it, there is no blind spot, although that said, not much of a blind spot on my supertop either, and it is super quiet. My NX is super quiet as long as everything is on and zipped, but there is nothing like a noisy soft top with half of it taken off. It reminds you that you own a Jeep. Although, I do see the appeal of a hard top. I still love the nostalgia of the soft top.
I made it through your typical IN winter with the OEM soft top and now my twill top, and I have zero complaints. I’m just ready to strip it down now :)

I made it through your typical IN winter with the OEM soft top and now my twill top, and I have zero complaints. I’m just ready to strip it down now :)

We have the opposite problem here, it never gets cold, but it can get up to 120 degrees in the summer time.

I only drove my Jeep over to Ohio to 4 wheel hardware in a damn blizzard

Uphill both ways? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Seriously, though, I don't mind my twice a year changeout. It gives the TJ a whole different personality, and come the next time to change over, it's all new again. I can see the draw of running a soft top full time...my previous X only had a soft top and winter was not an issue. I say if you have a hard top, use it. If not and don't need it, save your $$ and go soft.

Last edited:
I'm a heavy sweater. I hate the sun, I hate sunlight, I hate heat.

For this reason, I'm looking at hard tops because I have 0 desire to run around without the top on. I'll be blasting the AC year-round. Even have a window AC unit in my room that runs in the winter (fan only, but it runs).

I'm a heavy sweater. I hate the sun, I hate sunlight, I hate heat.

For this reason, I'm looking at hard tops because I have 0 desire to run around without the top on. I'll be blasting the AC year-round. Even have a window AC unit in my room that runs in the winter (fan only, but it runs).
If the top will never come off why the fascination with jeeps if you won’t twke advantage of the one perk they have? Just curious.