Soft top vs hard top

I'm a heavy sweater. I hate the sun, I hate sunlight, I hate heat.

For this reason, I'm looking at hard tops because I have 0 desire to run around without the top on. I'll be blasting the AC year-round. Even have a window AC unit in my room that runs in the winter (fan only, but it runs).
TJ’s AC with brand new components and full charged kills its interior passengers with 100 degree weather and hard top on. I only use the hardtop during the winter and put the soft top on during the summer. I actually only use the AC when I’m in serious bumper to bumper traffic. Trust me, that breeze while driving with a sunshade on is to die for.

If the top will never come off why the fascination with jeeps if you won’t twke advantage of the one perk they have? Just curious.

Because of what it does. It's the go anywhere vehicle. Being able to remove the top, to me currently, is irrelevant and not a selling point or reason to buy a Wrangler.

Reactions: derekmac
Because of what it does. It's the go anywhere vehicle. Being able to remove the top, to me currently, is irrelevant and not a selling point or reason to buy a Wrangler.
To each their own! If I was to never going to remove the top I think I would have looked into a smaller MUCH more comfortable smaller SUV haha.

To each their own! If I was to never going to remove the top I think I would have looked into a smaller MUCH more comfortable smaller SUV haha.

I've slept on the bare ground at 6000ft, lived out of the back of a truck for 6wks+ on more than one occasion, etc.

Comfort is relative. :)

Can you think of a similarly sized and priced 2-door SUV that has the off-road and inclement weather performance a Wrangler does? If you can, I'd certainly consider it in my search.

I've slept on the bare ground at 6000ft, lived out of the back of a truck for 6wks+ on more than one occasion, etc.

Can you think of a similarly sized and priced 2-door SUV that has the off-road and inclement weather performance a Wrangler does? If you can, I'd certainly consider it in my search.
The Bronco, 2dr XJ... :)

I've been driving a TJ every single day since I bought mine brand new in 2005. It came with both hardtop and soft top. So I believe my opinion should matter on this :)

For the first few years, I only used the hardtop in the winter. It CAN be a pain if you don't have a hoist, and storing it is another PITA. The first time I didn't want to mess with putting the hardtop back on, I decided to just run the soft top in the winter. The only difference I found was that it was quieter in the winter. It was still as warm with the soft top.

So I gave it a lot of thought, and sold my hardtop. I've ran a soft top ever since. To this day, I don't regret that decision. Hell I used the cash to buy an AR15!

A hardtop is a nice to have option, especially if you have the means to remove and store it.

In my honest opinion, if you own a Jeep and don’t remove the doors and top, then you’re just missing out on the point of having a Jeep. It’s freedom. It’s the experience. It’s freaking awesome.
Hell thats not an opinion, it’s a fact.

By the way depending on terrain wheeling with a hard top can get expensive when you lean it on trees.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

FYI, I’m a ginger. A redhead. I don’t tan, I burn. I once got sunburn in the winter time.

Saying that, the doors and soft top are off as much as possible when it’s blazing hot outside. I always pay the price with a burnt head and neck, but damnit it’s worth it.

That’s easy. Cherokee XJ. There all over

I've been driving a TJ every single day since I bought mine brand new in 2005. It came with both hardtop and soft top. So I believe my opinion should matter on this :)

For the first few years, I only used the hardtop in the winter. It CAN be a pain if you don't have a hoist, and storing it is another PITA. The first time I didn't want to mess with putting the hardtop back on, I decided to just run the soft top in the winter. The only difference I found was that it was quieter in the winter. It was still as warm with the soft top.

So I gave it a lot of thought, and sold my hardtop. I've ran a soft top ever since. To this day, I don't regret that decision. Hell I used the cash to buy an AR15!

A hardtop is a nice to have option, especially if you have the means to remove and store it.

In my honest opinion, if you own a Jeep and don’t remove the doors and top, then you’re just missing out on the point of having a Jeep. It’s freedom. It’s the experience. It’s freaking awesome.
Hell thats not an opinion, it’s a fact.
I myself prefer half doors to no doors, but that's just me. I've thought long and hard about selling my hard top and soft top and going with a black twill soft top, just can't seem to muster up the courage to make the change...I certainly could use the storage area where I put my hard top for some other use.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
That’s easy. Cherokee XJ. There all over

And those are even older than the Wranglers I'm looking at.

I've never seen a community so anxious to steer someone away from that which the community represents.

It's like if you don't use it exactly as we do, and value it for the same reasons we do, then you shouldn't have one and bugger off.

Reactions: Starrs

I've never seen a community so anxious to steer someone away from that which the community represents.

It's like if you don't use it exactly as we do, and value it for the same reasons we do, then you shouldn't have one and bugger off.
No not at all. If you want to own a jeep and never take the top off have at it man. Not trying to turn anybody away from one at all. Just giving you options. Personally I wouldn’t own one if I couldn’t take the top off. I’d much rather daily a 4x4 truck than my jeep but I don’t want to insure 2 vehicles ever again.

I can understand someone wanting a Wrangler and not take the top off. If I got one with a hardtop only, I might never take it off because it would be a drag. The Jeep is what it is with or without the top on. Not sure why anyone would care how you use your own TJ? I also find it odd. Personally, I probably will enjoy the top down, but who cares what anyone else likes. Sort of like running with no huge spare on the back. Whatever.

I can understand someone wanting a Wrangler and not take the top off. If I got one with a hardtop only, I might never take it off because it would be a drag. The Jeep is what it is with or without the top on. Not sure why anyone would care how you use your own TJ? I also find it odd. Personally, I probably will enjoy the top down, but who cares what anyone else likes. Sort of like running with no huge spare on the back. Whatever.
This whole thread has now become ODD. If somebody wants to purchase a wrangler and never take the top off so be it. Nobody said that was illegal or weird. The more we obsess over it the more odd and weird it becomes. Buy what you like and be done with it.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
This whole thread has now become ODD. If somebody wants to purchase a wrangler and never take the top off so be it. Nobody said that was illegal or weird. The more we obsess over it the more odd and weird it becomes. Buy what you like and be done with it.

"It's not illegal, it's frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane."

Someone that drives a Jeep and never takes the top or doors off should be driving a JKU/minivan.

:D:eek: Hahahahaha