Someguys 04

my shop owners mechanic came in today and i asked him what he knew about seat harnesses, since the boss was into racing and has oh, IDK 5 or 6, 1 of a kind race vehicles he takes out and plays with on wkends. he says follow me, we gt into the back room and he tosses this at me and says take it............they can't use it because of the date stamp. but it's only been in 1 car for 1 wkend and then tossed into the never again box.

tad bit more than i need with the nutbuster on there but it'll keep me secure. and i need something since the OE belts are gone. it'll do for now, but it doesn't scream comfortable to me.

242357826_596553001473575_4621981275470368134_n.jpg

243462970_2009386812562837_9203518691789299021_n.jpg

Reactions: taylormade73
my shop owners mechanic came in today and i asked him what he knew about seat harnesses, since the boss was into racing and has oh, IDK 5 or 6, 1 of a kind race vehicles he takes out and plays with on wkends. he says follow me, we gt into the back room and he tosses this at me and says take it............they can't use it because of the date stamp. but it's only been in 1 car for 1 wkend and then tossed into the never again box.

tad bit more than i need with the nutbuster on there but it'll keep me secure. and i need something since the OE belts are gone. it'll do for now, but it doesn't scream comfortable to me.

View attachment 280264

View attachment 280265
What are the odds… I have that exact same harness sitting in my garage that I got from an old racer when the dates expired. I’m interested to see what you come up with for mounting to the floor

Reactions: someguysjeep

View attachment 280264

View attachment 280265
The latch still works without the "submarine strap" doesn't it? Back in my Formula SAE days, those nut busters were critical to prevent sliding down in the seat. We had a joke about the belts... Make them hurt for a couple minutes before driving, or they'll hurt for days after.

What are the odds… I have that exact same harness sitting in my garage that I got from an old racer when the dates expired. I’m interested to see what you come up with for mounting to the floor
i got it hooked together all wrong but figured it out. i think it's the JetPilot harness 4-500$.
The latch still works without the "submarine strap" doesn't it? Back in my Formula SAE days, those nut busters were critical to prevent sliding down in the seat. We had a joke about the belts... Make them hurt for a couple minutes before driving, or they'll hurt for days after.
i don't think the anti sub strap comes loose from the lock. or it needs to be tripped to release it doesn't come free like the others

snagged these 2 big ass drops of UHMW from the dumpster 2" x 1.5" x 5', fits just right in between those flares so i might just make some rub rails along the top edge of the rocker.

maybe take a 1/2"-3/4" x 45* cut of the bottom outside edge and a 1/4 x 45* off the top to knock the edge off.
angle in the front and back edges with some lead in.

243496012_1001891860383658_9003886897398968339_n.jpg

242742471_615223952830434_46988006164349426_n.jpg

Reactions: Wildman
Those will look real nice as rub rails.
i'd be happy with just "they work".
even in a bar this size it's still flexible along the length, but a small section is hard to bend. so enough fasteners not spaced to far will be key.
where it should excel is when it would be side loaded against something.

and hey if i jack um up they only cost me some bolts and my time. .

so i spent a little time messin with the table saw and got a shape on the UHMW bars. not proud of the counter sinks but it's all good from 10ft.
and a pic of how it looks mounted.
the holes in the tub with nutserts stayed 5/16". the through penetrations now have 3/8" hardware in them (2 under the door and the last).

and i had some time to kill at the shop ..............and lug nuts on the spare might be a PITA, so i whipped this up. maybe i can incorporate it and have a single fastener and let the cone pin the rim ID..

243285050_3040078039567336_831158724417705736_n.jpg

244064714_368246848367946_4298324895367025802_n.jpg

242599851_202306961873844_6449619485830467870_n.jpg

i was gonna do it ..........GD ohio weather. they put us out early today cause some fool busted the water main diggin the easement.

ran home, got the jeep out, plugged in the power to the fuel pump and gave the key a couple turns............and nothin......... battery is weak. so i bust out the charger and get it goin (battery is new from last fall and was plugged in every couple months to trickle it).
not 10m later the sky dark as hell and busts loose on me.........have i ever mentioned i hate this place anymore?

alright on a good note my 401 loan is cleared and i'm gonna re-up it, for some new chit.

thinkin some seats, need provisions for over the shoulder belts and some additional bolstering to keep me snug. i can have a hard time with constant foot pressure on the pedal on bumpy terrain in the stock bouncy seat. i also have a thumb throttle i need to install that would help combat this as well.

then it's trailer axles.......i cracked open the drums on the skeleton i picked up and the brakes are an old corroded magnetic sys and i'm not bothering to try and rebuild. i got a line on 2 3500# torsion axles w/brakes for 300ea. if they keep a little longer. but i am also debating if i wanna just buy a brand new hauler. i can get a brand new 16' w/ 5200# brakes axles for about 4600 new out the door.
but........if i can do the trailer cheap scoring new axles, i might just sink a chunk into a hydro steering sys, (< no A in there)

IT'S ALIVE.......................................................

charger did it's job so i busted her out and gave the key a couple turns and checked for leaks, 2 more turns and checked again. hit it a 5th time and rolled it on the 6th and she fired up a little shaky and stalled. so i gave her 30s to catch her breath and rolled it again and VROOOOOM. a few burps chokin down that fogging oil down and she perked right up and smoothed out into an idle.

later i need to do a few sys checks rollin around the yard, if she checks out it's around the block a few times tomrw.

had lots of chores to catch up on yesterday, never got to play with the Jeep. but i'm bout to get out there.

fri they didn't have any work for me and my foreman told me get lost and look busy so i started messin around. things are pretty much set for now so i looked at the future.

bent up this thick ass 1/2" beast to keep control of that monster 14B and a couple brackets for the bottom of the tube to hang a drag skid from.

the truss needs adjustments........i don't measure stuff and most times i build by memory or eyeball. i can take the height down another 3/4" by making the tube notches deeper.

244186936_858816654758978_4123792010603896321_n.jpg

244533565_387015063031539_4179302235947632125_n.jpg

had lots of chores to catch up on yesterday, never got to play with the Jeep. but i'm bout to get out there.

fri they didn't have any work for me and my foreman told me get lost and look busy so i started messin around. things are pretty much set for now so i looked at the future.

bent up this thick ass 1/2" beast to keep control of that monster 14B and a couple brackets for the bottom of the tube to hang a drag skid from.

the truss needs adjustments........i don't measure stuff and most times i build by memory or eyeball. i can take the height down another 3/4" by making the tube notches deeper.

View attachment 282469

View attachment 282470

Looks great. Damn you make a lot of stuff at work for your rig. Not that I'm complaining.

Looks great. Damn you make a lot of stuff at work for your rig. Not that I'm complaining.
been slow at the shop, we got the next few wks already fab'd ahead of schedule. they been tossin me stock jobs to keep me doin anything.

i'd sweep the floor if they told me to and i don't play around until my areas maintained, but when they tell me they got nothin go look busy.........they know what i'm doin.
the bins always full and i got permission to scrounge.

you'd puke if you saw what they have been wastin since new management took over,,,,,,,, bet he's tossed an easy 1/2 mil into the scrap bins. just last wk they tossed 22, 4x4 sheets of 7ga. cause he didn't wanna waste time with 1/2 sheet drops on the laser. then he tossed 18, 4x8x1/4 sheets of virgin white UHMW into the trash dumpster cause we bought to much for the job (but use it all the time for lots of jobs).
i'm not a stand around a shoot the crap kinda guy i gotta be busy.

ok 1st ride is in the book........................bout 15m around the hood to warm the gears. was warm to the touch, so significant heat.......coolin now.
couple issues. need to do some adjustments to the steering, and i got some noisy contacts.

steering is ok, but can be better, just minor adjustments needed.

the exhaust is wobblin enough to just bump the side of the TC. it's the catalytic converter that's doing it, not constant but still not acceptable. choices are: pull stuff apart and bend the trans hanger mount out some. or chop the tube, loose the CC and straight pipe the gap to the muffler,
i don't have to pull the belly apart to cut and splice the tube so that seems the easiest solution and i don't have to retain the CC cause i already dorked other things past the "legal emissions" point.

then there is a slight tinny vibrating dinger when i stop, almost sounds like a wobbly heat shield would, something that thin.

and the rear struts are stiff, they need time to warm up also but feel stiff so i will adjust the dampening 1/2 way and see what it does, but it will likely take a pressure adjustment.

so i spent a little time messin with the table saw and got a shape on the UHMW bars. not proud of the counter sinks but it's all good from 10ft.
and a pic of how it looks mounted.
the holes in the tub with nutserts stayed 5/16". the through penetrations now have 3/8" hardware in them (2 under the door and the last).

and i had some time to kill at the shop ..............and lug nuts on the spare might be a PITA, so i whipped this up. maybe i can incorporate it and have a single fastener and let the cone pin the rim ID..

View attachment 280910

View attachment 280911

View attachment 280912
I like the slider above the boat side. Can we get some pics of how you sealed off the boatside front and back?

I like the slider above the boat side. Can we get some pics of how you sealed off the boatside front and back?
dam now i'm busted............ nothing yet. the aluminum inner fender covers the front edge, and the back end is the open angled profile for now..

so the front edge of the "slider" is only a few inches forward off the torque box end, so there is not much there to be bent.
the rear end is carried long, past the body by almost a ft. i did not want that elongated wheel opening with a huge void ahead of the wheel and right now it still over hangs the ends of the armor cut and needs trimmed about 2" more.
i do have material to then gusset/box both ends and the rear would benefit from an inner fender brace to help distribute any loading force.

but time is limited b4 snow and salt hit so i need my gears lapped.............. then i can finish small details when i'm forced into the garage again.

Last edited:
That's great news that you got to drive it. Bummer that you've got things to address but that's how this goes right?