Steering box bolt broke

I’ve kroil on all the bolts now before I start to try to remove any. Will probably let it soak until tomorrow. I definitely do not want to break another. I’ve been fortunate to never have one break in past. Not something I want to mess it.
It works better if you get under and spray the ends of the bolts where they stick through the mounting bosses.

It's close but if you use a thick washer it works. At least it did on mine and a couple others I know.
That offends my sensibilities as to how things should be done to do it that way. We already have issues with stuff running into bolt heads, not gonna make that any worse. That and I have several sets of the OEM bolts for personal use anyway.

That offends my sensibilities as to how things should be done to do it that way. We already have issues with stuff running into bolt heads, not gonna make that any worse. That and I have several sets of the OEM bolts for personal use anyway.
Sorry Blaine, not trying to offend anyone. I would have preferred the OEM style bolt too but couldn't find it in grade 8. But it is possible to use a standard bolt as a last resort. Not saying it's how it should be done. As always, your mileage may vary.

IMG_20220402_104843781.jpg
IMG_20220402_104855696.jpg

Sorry Blaine, not trying to offend anyone. I would have preferred the OEM style bolt too but couldn't find it in grade 8. But it is possible to use a standard bolt as a last resort. Not saying it's how it should be done. As always, your mileage may vary.

View attachment 320011View attachment 320012
I'm not offended at all. I just can't do it that way and I don't
DSC00350.JPG
I have to.

I have a question for you Jeep savants. I broke two steering box bolts at just over 60 ft/lbs. I know they are supposed to be tightened to 70 ft/lbs, but for fear of breaking more, is 55 ft/lbs plus blue loctite good enough?

I have a question for you Jeep savants. I broke two steering box bolts at just over 60 ft/lbs. I know they are supposed to be tightened to 70 ft/lbs, but for fear of breaking more, is 55 ft/lbs plus blue loctite good enough?

You need to find out why they broke. Typically the threaded hole or the bolt threads are messed up and that needs to not be the case.

Reactions: P man
You need to find out why they broke. Typically the threaded hole or the bolt threads are messed up and that needs to not be the case.

Agree 100 percent. If it won't torque to the correct value everything stops and gets remedied before I proceed. Please for your safety and mind don't half ass a steering install.

Agree 100 percent. If it won't torque to the correct value everything stops and gets remedied before I proceed. Please for your safety and mind don't half ass a steering install.

We run a tap in every threaded hole on all the new installs we do, even PSC. We've had a few that were tight and that's a recipe for disaster. Tap size is 7/16-14

Reactions: P man
We run a tap in every threaded hole on all the new installs we do, even PSC. We've had a few that were tight and that's a recipe for disaster. Tap size is 7/16-14

Do you use a thread cutting tap or one of those taps that just cleans the threads?