Steering locked up on a roundabout

Whatever caused the failure of the steering and possibly brakes really needs diagnosed and fixed.

Interesting splash shield from the bumper to the fender. Euro spec or accessory?

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Whatever caused the failure of the steering and possibly brakes really needs diagnosed and fixed.
The obvious answer is the engine stalled. That is about the only thing that would explain both at the same time.
Interesting splash shield from the bumper to the fender. Euro spec or accessory?
Euro spec. Look at the license plate carrier.

I don’t know how the parts stores are over there,but what about a grand Cherokee zj bar?

No idea, to be honest. There's the slight issue of language barrier and lack of knowledge on my side which doesn't help, but part stores are really limited.

It is a much softer rate. If you don't mind more body roll, (all things being equal), then the Anti-rock is fine. If you like the lesser body roll of the stock swaybar, then it won't be fine.

Fenders or flares? Flares bolt to the front fenders and rear fender well openings.

Yes and no- no if you move the tires out past a reasonable backspacing and mess up the steering response.

Peruse the license plates and location. I suspect that there aren't many TJ's in Spanish wrecking yards. Possible, not probable.

100% It's hard enough finding a Jeep to buy in the first place, without trying to track down a specific part on a junk one.

I would prefer the stiffness of the factory one in all honesty. I don't have plans for a lift, or any adoption to off roading. I've posted on a Jeep whatsapp group i'm in to see if anyone has one.

Flares would be what i meant. Fender i need regardless. I don't particularly want bigger tyres, but something wider would be nice from a looks point of view. It would likely be a temporary solution until the house is sorted and i could drop money on new wheels which would negate the need for the spacers.

If you were willing to scope out postage it'd be helpful given the alternative is the Carrie at €800. I don't even know if it's viable to ship a pallet of everything i need over given price difference on everything. I could also throw in some other bits i need.

Generally i'm looking at

Front bumper
Bumper stop ends
Front right fender
Front right flare (might have to buy a full set in which case i'd likely go wider and then need spacers)
Hood
Sway Bar

Side part but also on my wish list :D

No drill windscreen channel
tailgate bar
ash tray cover
coin insert for centra console
centre console lock

Oh agreed. Waiting to hear from the mechanic. My hope is that whilst the work is being done i can get a lot of servicing done. It's a '98 with ~40,000miles on it that's lived it's life in a hot dry climate. A lot of rubber is very dry and there's also going to be various components which would usually be changed at specific mileage intervals that will likely have not been done yet.

Last edited:
If you were willing to scope out postage it'd be helpful given the alternative is the Carrie at €800. I don't even know if it's viable to ship a pallet of everything i need over given price difference on everything. I could also throw in some other bits i need.
Something may be possible. The best way to do that is to find a freight forwarder that ships to Spain. Getting a pallet put together is doable. It may be worth investigating building a pallet here with the fender, front swaybar, lower axle mounts, odds and ends bolts, and whatever else the tear down shows you need. I can likely dig up a cheaper fender, zero cost swaybar, zero cost bolts, lower mounts at cost if the IRO will work, and we can order in and toss some new Moog lower control arms on there as well. APDTY hood latches are a pretty tolerable replacement.

I can assist with a lot of that. You'd just have to arrange the forwarder and then from here to the forwarder if we can round up all the parts you need, and I might be able to help with a lower freight cost to there. I won't arrange it to Spain. You'll have to do that. Another option is I ship some stuff to someone on the east coast to build the pallet there and then to the forwarder.

The hood is going to be a bitch though. If there is anyway you can source one over there, that is far better than trying to get one packed to go over. They are stupid big and stupid delicate for what they are.

Something may be possible. The best way to do that is to find a freight forwarder that ships to Spain. Getting a pallet put together is doable. It may be worth investigating building a pallet here with the fender, front swaybar, lower axle mounts, odds and ends bolts, and whatever else the tear down shows you need. I can likely dig up a cheaper fender, zero cost swaybar, zero cost bolts, lower mounts at cost if the IRO will work, and we can order in and toss some new Moog lower control arms on there as well. APDTY hood latches are a pretty tolerable replacement.

I can assist with a lot of that. You'd just have to arrange the forwarder and then from here to the forwarder if we can round up all the parts you need, and I might be able to help with a lower freight cost to there. I won't arrange it to Spain. You'll have to do that. Another option is I ship some stuff to someone on the east coast to build the pallet there and then to the forwarder.

The hood is going to be a bitch though. If there is anyway you can source one over there, that is far better than trying to get one packed to go over. They are stupid big and stupid delicate for what they are.

That's beyond awesome. I'll start digging into it.

Hood is around €300 here but at least it's available.

You need to translate your money into USD. I have no idea how much real money we are talking about.

That's around $350

Currently i've got prices of

$140 Bumper
$100 Bumper stops
$230 Fender
$800 Sway Bar
$250 Flares (4.5")
$240 Spacers (If going for them)

No mention so far around control arms, hood latches etc

That's around $350
About the same as a good one would cost you over here so good on that one.
Currently i've got prices of

$140 Bumper
I can likely get a bumper on there if the pallet is long enough one direction. Very low cost.
$100 Bumper stops
None of those over here.
$230 Fender
Buy it.
$800 Sway Bar
Zero, just shipping.
$250 Flares (4.5")
Buy them.
$240 Spacers (If going for them)
Depends on the quality. Those would be that much for the higher priced ones here all the way down to 100 for a set of 4 from the cheaper folks.
No mention so far around control arms, hood latches etc
That stuff is pretty cheap and easy here. If it wasn't for the bumper, we wouldn't need a pallet at all. It may even work to wrap up the bumper as a parcel and get that stuff as one largish package. Very doable. The swaybar may be able to go the same way and not even do a pallet. They can't hurt the swaybar in shipping so just wrapping it up so the label will stick may work.

The obvious answer is the engine stalled. That is about the only thing that would explain both at the same time.
We have roundabouts here. I hope if I manage to stall the Jeep in one I could safely get stopped without crashing it. He said steering locked up?

Might fine offering to help with parts sir. (y)

We have roundabouts here. I hope if I manage to stall the Jeep in one I could safely get stopped without crashing it. He said steering locked up?

Might fine offering to help with parts sir. (y)

If you suddely lost power assist in a turn, it would feel like it locked up. It didn't but going from very easy to turn to very difficult to turn and trying to shoot straight would give you that impression. The clue is loss of brake assist at the same time. I'm not saying I'm right but steering locking up is very odd.

Standard pallet is 48" x 40". You will normally pay for "pallet space" when shipping so a custom length pallet will cost you more. You might be better off looking at some form of box you can wrap it in unless you are shipping a bunch of parts.

About the same as a good one would cost you over here so good on that one.

I can likely get a bumper on there if the pallet is long enough one direction. Very low cost.

None of those over here.

Buy it.

Zero, just shipping.

Buy them.

Depends on the quality. Those would be that much for the higher priced ones here all the way down to 100 for a set of 4 from the cheaper folks.

That stuff is pretty cheap and easy here. If it wasn't for the bumper, we wouldn't need a pallet at all. It may even work to wrap up the bumper as a parcel and get that stuff as one largish package. Very doable. The swaybar may be able to go the same way and not even do a pallet. They can't hurt the swaybar in shipping so just wrapping it up so the label will stick may work.

Yes, he did mention the spacers would likely be some high end German ones (Hoffman? as he didn't recommend anything cheaper).

Just looking at some shipping options and i think the length of the sway bar might be prohibitive. Putting in the following and it comes to ~$400 for shipping
DGjmp30.png

I imagine then trying to add a bumper and other parts and the weight starts to jump quite a bit to where a standard courier gets excessive and beyond economical.

I did find the following. Not sure if they're going to be ok or just made of cheese though?
https://www.ebay.es/itm/35542030005...pid=5337789113&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

This one seems factory, not cheap but considering lesser postage it might work?
https://www.ebay.es/itm/17606559006...pid=5337789113&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

The other option is whether creating an Ebay listing and letting the "Global Shipping" programme take over getting out of the US might be suitable and assist with customs etc?

@mrblaine

If you're open to it. The Ebay route could be the cheapest route for shipping if i base it on the sale below which shows $100 shipping to Spain via the Global Shipping Programme
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2855952159...pid=5337789113&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

It would just need wrapping up as a package and shipping to the Ebay distribution centre. If you're happy with this we could do a "sale" through ebay and then i'll transfer money on the side to cover your time and other costs.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Yes, he did mention the spacers would likely be some high end German ones (Hoffman? as he didn't recommend anything cheaper).

Just looking at some shipping options and i think the length of the sway bar might be prohibitive. Putting in the following and it comes to ~$400 for shipping
View attachment 500189

I imagine then trying to add a bumper and other parts and the weight starts to jump quite a bit to where a standard courier gets excessive and beyond economical.

I did find the following. Not sure if they're going to be ok or just made of cheese though?
https://www.ebay.es/itm/35542030005...pid=5337789113&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

This one seems factory, not cheap but considering lesser postage it might work?
https://www.ebay.es/itm/17606559006...pid=5337789113&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

The other option is whether creating an Ebay listing and letting the "Global Shipping" programme take over getting out of the US might be suitable and assist with customs etc?

Not sure how any of that works, but the second swaybar is factory and the first one is junk.

@mrblaine

If you're open to it. The Ebay route could be the cheapest route for shipping if i base it on the sale below which shows $100 shipping to Spain via the Global Shipping Programme
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2855952159...pid=5337789113&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

It would just need wrapping up as a package and shipping to the Ebay distribution centre. If you're happy with this we could do a "sale" through ebay and then i'll transfer money on the side to cover your time and other costs.

You have to walk me through it. Let me get a bumper and see what it does for size and weight today.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
You have to walk me through it. Let me get a bumper and see what it does for size and weight today.

Yeah, that wouldn't be an issue. Effectively i think i could use mine and my wifes ebay accounts so all you're having to do is ship a package to a centralised depot. Ebay might even be able to arrange collection so it's all covered on my side.

Have found someone who can ship the sway bar for $120, i imagine therefore that adding a few extras wouldn't increase that cost too much