Steering stabilizer recommendations?

A Jeep is only a quarter ton vehicle.

Steering stabilizers didn't even exist for decades and decades.

To get what benefit they deliver, the average Joe needs one that simply works as designed and is not overrated for the size of the vehicle.

Steering dampers do not truly solve any steering related issues... They might be capable of masking some issues..issues that need fixed, not masked.

Basically they are designed to smooth the action of the steering... And help prevent any harsh feedback to the driver.

There were vehicles years ago such as twin I beam ford trucks that could get appreciably better steering performance from heavy duty stabilizers.

if you run larger tires you're already working the steering pretty hard... You might want to reconsider adding more resistance.
I just realized I have channeled - Jerry Bransford . I am so proud.

At home , I become my dad ..turning lights off,asking , do I look like the power company!?

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I declare my dad said it cost 5 bucks every time I opened it.

He made Dave Ramsey look fiscally irresponsible.

• Haha
Reactions: toximus
Something that I don't often read and have learned from driving another vehicle without a stabilizer for years is that the thing really keeps the steering wheel under control on the trail. My opinion is that an often overlooked purpose of the stabilizer on our Jeeps is to limit the free speed of the steering to prevent steering damage and injury. The power steering helps to dampen and control the speed but with the TJs fragile steering components (tie rod) it's important to prevent a released steering wheel really spinning up before it hits the axle stops. I think that's also why some old off-road books talk about keeping your thumbs out of the spokes and you don't really hear that anymore. A manual setup without a damper can break fingers if you let it get away from you.

Something that I don't often read and have learned from driving another vehicle without a stabilizer for years is that the thing really keeps the steering wheel under control on the trail. My opinion is that an often overlooked purpose of the stabilizer on our Jeeps is to limit the free speed of the steering to prevent steering damage and injury. The power steering helps to dampen and control the speed but with the TJs fragile steering components (tie rod) it's important to prevent a released steering wheel really spinning up before it hits the axle stops. I think that's also why some old off-road books talk about keeping your thumbs out of the spokes and you don't really hear that anymore. A manual setup without a damper can break fingers if you let it get away from you.
That can still happen even with a fresh steering damper installed. I definitely keep my thumbs out of the way of my steering wheel spokes, especially when on the trail. I've had the wheel spin back hard enough that it scared me and I was thankful my thumbs were out of the way.

Reactions: pagrey
Should have bought two.

20190420_205824.jpg