Steering wheel and upper steering shaft moving in and out about 1.5 inches

O
If the snap ring or retainer just popped out of the groove it should be on the shaft , all the parts should be on the shaft unless someone had it apart and didn’t put things back correctly.
I was a Ford mechanic for years and have done hundreds of columns. The way they were put together was lower bearing, then a race , spring and then a large snap ring would hold the spring in place on a groove in the shaft. If all the parts are there you may be able to remove the lower shaft and reinstall the parts with the column in the vehicle. You may need someone to push the steering wheel down while installing the snap ring. Jeep only show the complete column as an assembly but I did find some on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2241442894...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Oh wow, thank you! You are giving me hope that it’s not to much work! And now I know what I have to do!

(
Has Nothing to do with Jeep - question about ford:

Cool that you have been a ford mechanic because I also bought a ford f100 from 1973 (picture attached)
Du you know what could be wrong when all my gauges do not work? But the cluster lights work… only the gauges do not work.
I’ve replaced the circuit and the wires at the plug have power. The gauges work when I connect them to a 1,5 volt battery…

Is it okay if I remember you and maybe ask you in the future if I have some ford issues ?
)

Also a big thank you for your research on eBay! Hope I don’t need that but nice to have a chance to buy it!

Thank you! Have a nice day!

Greetings from Germany

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
O

Oh wow, thank you! You are giving me hope that it’s not to much work! And now I know what I have to do!

(
Has Nothing to do with Jeep - question about ford:

Cool that you have been a ford mechanic because I also bought a ford f100 from 1973 (picture attached)
Du you know what could be wrong when all my gauges do not work? But the cluster lights work… only the gauges do not work.
I’ve replaced the circuit and the wires at the plug have power. The gauges work when I connect them to a 1,5 volt battery…

Is it okay if I remember you and maybe ask you in the future if I have some ford issues ?
)

Also a big thank you for your research on eBay! Hope I don’t need that but nice to have a chance to buy it!

Thank you! Have a nice day!

Greetings from Germany

Most likely the instrument cluster voltage regulator it reduces the voltage to the gauges usually mounted on the back of the cluster. If you use a non led test light one wire you should have a solid Light the other wire will be dim or blinking.
https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/tr...ry/d1az-10804-a-instr-cluster-voltage-regulat

Most likely the instrument cluster voltage regulator it reduces the voltage to the gauges usually mounted on the back of the cluster. If you use a non led test light one wire you should have a solid Light the other wire will be dim or blinking.
https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/tr...ry/d1az-10804-a-instr-cluster-voltage-regulat

Thank you! I ordered the voltage regulator :)

I couldn’t follow you instruction how do I test with a test light, I’m sorry
My English isn’t that good

But I will change the regulator and see if that work.

Thank you!

You are missing or it came loose the lower bearing retainer for the steering column. The column should not move up and down. The intermediate shafts do not hold the column shaft in place. I took a picture of mine. It appears this retainer should be in a groove on the shaft. It would probably be best to pull the column but you will need to be careful of the clockspring for the airbag. Center the steering ( wheels straight ahead) disconnect battery, remove airbag and steering wheel. Remove the clockspring from the column. Do not turn the clockspring while off. Remove column and repair lower bearing retainer. Reinstall in reverse of removal.

View attachment 354694

Difficult… maybe here is someone you knows exactly how the column is build ?

Today I compared your picture to my Jeep and it is definitely the issue: My spring is loose around that column end.

But I couldn’t find that retainer … I do have a little metal ring under the spring but I couldn’t manage to grab it to look at it. But I think the ring has the same size than the spring.. so that isn’t the retainer, isn’t it?

And also I’m wondering how your retainer (marked red) sits in the column … how does it hold ? Does someone know how the clolumn especially the end with the spring and the retainer is build??

how do I get my column fixed?

I attach a picture of my column again (where you see the spring) …

The picture with the red mark is not my column, it’s an example how it supposed to be.

47CB1998-372C-432D-B30A-B66754434290.jpeg

If the snap ring or retainer just popped out of the groove it should be on the shaft , all the parts should be on the shaft unless someone had it apart and didn’t put things back correctly.
I was a Ford mechanic for years and have done hundreds of columns. The way they were put together was lower bearing, then a race , spring and then a large snap ring would hold the spring in place on a groove in the shaft. If all the parts are there you may be able to remove the lower shaft and reinstall the parts with the column in the vehicle. You may need someone to push the steering wheel down while installing the snap ring. Jeep only show the complete column as an assembly but I did find some on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2241442894...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Thank you! You were right! The retainer just got of and I just had to grab that ring retainer and push it back in so the spring is on tension!

Now the spring is gold by the retainer again and everything is fine!

Thank you so much!

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.