Stock vs Windstar CFM?

Rickyd

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I'm not finding any info on the flow ratings of an oem airbox vs the windstar. It looks like the round windstar filter has a comparable surface area and the nipple that sticks into the cowl is a larger diameter than the factory horn?

I'd like to get cooler air into my 10.2:1 stroker this summer and if i got a small boost to airflow that would be a bonus. A decrease in airflow isn't a sacrifice I'll make on this stroker though. Without one in my hands i can't make a guess about that. Anyone have hard data? Or inlet/outlet measurements? Other comments?

I'm not finding any info on the flow ratings of an oem airbox vs the windstar. It looks like the round windstar filter has a comparable surface area and the nipple that sticks into the cowl is a larger diameter than the factory horn?

I'd like to get cooler air into my 10.2:1 stroker this summer and if i got a small boost to airflow that would be a bonus. A decrease in airflow isn't a sacrifice I'll make on this stroker though. Without one in my hands i can't make a guess about that. Anyone have hard data? Or inlet/outlet measurements? Other comments?

Wix is the best source of info I have found.

46081.JPG

46416.JPG

There were a lot of discussions in the XJ community concerning the use of electric fans. Quite a few owners tried converting over to electric fans, but found out even the best of fan electric fans, relays and thermal controls could be problematic. The electronics were prone to break down when out in the desert areas due to overheating….
I tried running an electric fan with a Griffin 3 row aluminum radiator on my XJ (supposed to be the best at the time) and still needed to use the A/C electric fan to augment since the primary fan was prone to having problems.
I finally converted back to the OEM designed radiator and clutch fan. Only needed to use the A/C electric fan when out in the really HOT areas such as Yuma, AZ, ZZyzx Crossing and Death Valley, CA.

Wrong thread?

Reactions: Zorba
Actually no….
I was offering the electric fan modifications from my XJ and the XJ community (also own a TJ) as a source of comparison for you.

I agree with the synopsis of stock cooling systems being better and my title could be clearer. But if you read the post I'm talking about air cleaner cfms and the windstar cowl induction mod

I agree with the synopsis of stock cooling systems being better and my title could be clearer. But if you read the post I'm talking about air cleaner cfms and the windstar cowl induction mod

You are correct.
My apologies….
I am presently in the Philippines and we are 16 hours ahead of you in CA; so this post never happened.

Just understand that the OEM air intake box and its trumpet can easily flow more air than even your stroker can pull at WOT and redline rpms. And the trumpet/horn does not restrict the air flow, it's there to speed up the airflow into the air intake for better combustion.

Reactions: Rickyd
Just understand that the OEM air intake box and its trumpet can easily flow more air than even your stroker can pull at WOT and redline rpms. And the trumpet/horn does not restrict the air flow, it's there to speed up the airflow into the air intake for better combustion.

His goal is to get cooler air, which the windstar can certainly provide. Any additional air is just a bonus.

Reactions: ColoJeep and Rickyd
His goal is to get cooler air, which the windstar can certainly provide. Any additional air is just a bonus.
If it's getting its air from inside the engine compartment it's not going to make a significant difference. And our TJs aren't dragsters, I SERIOUSLY doubt he'd notice ANY performance difference at all between the above mentioned air filters.

If it's getting its air from inside the engine compartment it's not going to make a significant difference. And our TJs aren't dragsters, I SERIOUSLY doubt he'd notice ANY performance difference at all between the above mentioned air filters.

Then your not familiar with the windstar intake getting actual cold air from being piped into the cowl. This has been documented on the forum before, it works and several here are using the windstar intake. His goal is to get cooler air. If he gets more cfm or the same, then great. Hes not going for performance.

Completely false and untrue. Proven many times.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Wow,thank you. Looks like a solid bump in cfm

Keep in mind that's only potential flow through the filter. Intake piping will dictate flow characteristics around the filter.

Then your not familiar with the windstar intake getting actual cold air from being piped into the cowl. This has been documented on the forum before, it works and several here are using the windstar intake. His goal is to get cooler air. If he gets more cfm or the same, then great. Hes not going for performance.

Theoretically, someone running a vented hood would negate the cooler, ambient air aspect of pulling from the cowl.
IDK if @Rickyd has a vented hood, but it's something to think about.

Reactions: Rickyd and tworley
Completely false and untrue. Proven many times.
All of that is 100% bullshit.

You'd have to be saying Jeep's senior most engineer Jim Repp (aka the 'father' of the Wrangler Rubicon) was lying to me when we had a long conversation years ago and he explained how the TJ's OE factory air intake is more than able to easily flow more air than the engine can possibly pull. I asked him specifically about that a couple times. He also confirmed that SOME air intakes are definitely restrictive but he also confirmed they/he specifically/purposely designed the TJ's air intake to be 100% free flowing and without restrictions.

Sorry but I'll DEFINITELY believe Jim Repp before anybody else. Jim recently retired, he started with Jeep back in the CJ days.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/154-1303-10-years-of-rubicon/

And if you really want to confirm what he said about the air flow in the OE air intake yourself, Jim is a regular on Facebook as James Repp where we still have conversations.

Believe what Jim said or not, your choice.

Reactions: Marklar1983
  • Love
Reactions: ColoJeep and JMT