Stock vs Windstar CFM?

All of that is 100% bullshit.

You'd have to be saying Jeep's senior most engineer Jim Repp (aka the 'father' of the Wrangler Rubicon) was lying to me when we had a long conversation years ago and he explained how the TJ's OE factory air intake is more than able to easily flow more air than the engine can possibly pull. I asked him specifically about that a couple times. He also confirmed that SOME air intakes are definitely restrictive but he also confirmed they/he specifically/purposely designed the TJ's air intake to be 100% free flowing and without restrictions.

Sorry but I'll DEFINITELY believe Jim Repp before anybody else. Jim recently retired, he started with Jeep back in the CJ days.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/154-1303-10-years-of-rubicon/

And if you really want to confirm what he said about the air flow in the OE air intake yourself, Jim is a regular on Facebook as James Repp where we still have conversations.

Believe what Jim said or not, your choice.

Jerry I'm not going to crap all over the OPs post arguing opinions with you. If you have some real data or facts post them in the other thread, and we can discuss further.

Two way street, Jerry. Review the posted data and change your mind, or remain stubborn and not.
You can find any kind of bullshit on the internet that you want to support any wild theory you want to believe in. If you really can't or don't want to believe what Jeep's senior-most engineer said then I don't know what to think of your stubbornness.

• Haha
Reactions: Jezza
Review the posted data and change your mind

I'm not jumping in one camp or the other here, I know cooler, denser air is better for combustion, but there is an obvious issue with Jezza's posted "cold air intake" dyno data, he swapped intake tube AND filter type. I'd like to see what happens with a K&N stock replacement filter in the stock box, and compare that to the K&N "cold air" intake setup. I think his posted data really shows the difference between standard paper media vs the freer flowing (dirtier) K&N media.

Reactions: Rickyd and tworley
You can find any kind of bullshit on the internet that you want to support any wild theory you want to believe in. If you really can't or don't want to believe what Jeep's senior-most engineer said then I don't know what to think of your stubbornness.

Says the guy who's unwilling to accept any new information other than what he was told years ago...

@Jezza and @tworley why in the world would you not believe what the Chief Engineer for Jeep said about the air intake that he took part in its design???? And you are upset because my conversation took place years ago? What, truth changes? What was true then is not a lie now. WTF. You guys are just acting stupid now to not believe what Jeep's top engineer said.

And if you still want to call Jim a liar or not believe what I said, and I am not known for fucking lying, go friend James Repp on FB and ask him your fucking selves. I'm done here, your claims have absolutely gotten fucking stupid.

I'm not jumping in one camp or the other here, I know cooler, denser air is better for combustion, but there is an obvious issue with Jezza's posted "cold air intake" dyno data, he swapped intake tube AND filter type. I'd like to see what happens with a K&N stock replacement filter in the stock box, and compare that to the K&N "cold air" intake setup. I think his posted data really shows the difference between standard paper media vs the freer flowing (dirtier) K&N media.

Agreed.

FWIW, I'd be running a stock set up too if I didnt install high lines. I did the windstar intake for that reason only.

Reactions: BlueC
@Jezza and @tworley why in the world would you not believe what the Chief Engineer for Jeep said about the air intake that he took part in its design???? And you are upset because my conversation took place years ago? What, truth changes? What was true then is not a lie now. WTF. You guys are just acting stupid now to not believe what Jeep's top engineer said.

And if you still want to call Jim a liar or not believe what I said, and I am not known for fucking lying, go friend James Repp on FB and ask him your fucking selves. I'm done here, your claims have absolutely gotten fucking stupid.

Simmer down Jerry. Its a technical forum and we're all here to learn. The goal is to get cooler air, which can be accomplished by using an intake piped to the cowl.

Guys, it could very well be a fools errand but i have over 10:1 compression and would like ambient air temps for detonation prevention.

I definitely would like to keep the factory box if i could accomplish that somehow.

That said,cfm is in the title so game on guys. Its all relevant to the topic

Reactions: tworley and BlueC
After using @Jezza s cfm calculator i am rethinking the stock airbox though. Not that i rev over 4k rpms much,but a better flowing factory system is going to gain some hp in my application.

a wideband o2 and a tune are also needed as part of the detonation equation. It just seems smart to start with a 100$ intake mod

Reactions: ColoJeep
@Rickyd I haven't looked, but since you don't seem to mind punching a hole, is there any area to punch a hole big enough for an intake tube into the grill/radiator area? Maybe below the headlight? If you could tap into the air trapped in front of the radiator, not only would it be ambient, but it might provide some pressure at speed.

Reactions: Rickyd
Jerry is wrong. He promotes his opinions as fact ad naseum and points to some guy he talked to this one time at band camp as proof while ignoring actual testing, hard numbers, and people who have a better understanding of how this all works than him. Anybody interested in this argument can read the thread Jezza linked to. This thread will devolve into the same fight with the same points rehashed.

Jerry, a technical question was asked. It was answered. You knew before you decided to add your opinion on the subject what was going to happen. Same way you love to chime in when people ask about converting from an automatic to a manual. Not everybody has to build their rig the same way you would and they are not wrong for it. Quit shitting on people's technical threads with your opinions. Especially when they are wrong.

Jerry is wrong. He promotes his opinions as fact ad naseum and points to some guy he talked to this one time at band camp as proof
Don't be an asshole, it was Jim Repp as previously mentioned. It gets no more authorative than coming from him who was Jeep's senior most engineer before retiring recently. And since you obviously think I'm lying, go friend James Repp on FB and ask him directly. I still talk with him.

FFS, one of you is arguing that the stock intake flows enough CFM, and the other guy is arguing that colder air would be better.

These are mutually exclusive parts to the power equation.

Both of you guys are correct, but you can't see it.

Reactions: Rickyd
FFS, one of you is arguing that the stock intake flows enough CFM, and the other guy is arguing that colder air would be better.

These are mutually exclusive parts to the power equation.

Both of you guys are correct, but you can't see it.

calm the big lebowski GIF

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
Don't be an asshole, it was Jim Repp as previously mentioned. It gets no more authorative than coming from him who was Jeep's senior most engineer before retiring recently. And since you obviously think I'm lying, go friend James Repp on FB and ask him directly. I still talk with him.

I don't think you are lying. I simply am not convinced you either correctly understood what he was saying or understand the context on which he meant it. You are looking testing numbers and common sense in the face and screaming "Father of the Rubicon! The freakin RUBICON!!" like it proves something. It does not. Understand this; your friend list on FB does not impress or persuade me in the least.

@Rickyd I haven't looked, but since you don't seem to mind punching a hole, is there any area to punch a hole big enough for an intake tube into the grill/radiator area? Maybe below the headlight? If you could tap into the air trapped in front of the radiator, not only would it be ambient, but it might provide some pressure at speed.

On a street machine that is a good idea. I hydrolocked a ford ranger with a factory intake routing like that once though. When the bow wave gets high enough its game over 💀

On a street machine that is a good idea. I hydrolocked a ford ranger with a factory intake routing like that once though. When the bow wave gets high enough its game over 💀

My solution for the ranger was to make a sheet metal flange off the factory airbox that ran to the cowl and a piece at the cowl with a built in deflector. I used a large radiator hose off something big at the junkyard to connect them. I left the grill duct and never had that problem again. When water hit the grill it would pull air from the cowl since it was less resistance.

Don't think i want to do that with my tj though

@Jerry Bransford i respect your opinion.and on a stock motor I'd run a factory enclosure every time.

But I think for what I'm doing the stock airbox isn't a good fit though. I have a lot of money and parts into my stroker. It has a cam,ported edelbrock head and other things that make it flow substantially more. It is also on the ragged edge of detonation and i want to build in some more safety factor.