Super 35 rear end upgrade help

TJBob

TJ Enthusiast
So, I’ve decided to go with a super 35 kit for my rear axles. I’ve done quite a bit of reading on here. Seen lots of advise from Jerry Bransford, Chris, and others.

I’ve decided to go with the revolution gear axles with the ARB locker, unless there is a better recommendation? From everything I’ve read, and everything I have been told here, the 1541H is hands down the best rear axle for the Dana 35 super due to grooving of the chromoly shafts. I’m choosing the ARB locker because I like the idea of selectable lockers, vs the auto locker set up in the rear. And ARB seems to have a great name in the industry. Also revolution offers the ARB locker in a kit they sell. I’m open to other suggestions as far as lockers go...

So my questions are: is the revolution gear axles (30 spline) made of 4340 chromoly or are they made with the 1541H?

Can I use my stock 3.73 ring and pinion with the locker? I plan on regearing to 4.88 in the future.

I’ve done a little research on amazon and eBay, even poked around on revolutions website, but can’t seem to find what material is used in the Dana 35 super kit from revolution. They offer a 10 year warranty on their axles, which seems to be great. But before I pull the trigger on this, I would like to know what I’m getting (it’s possibke the info is out there, and I just missed it). Any insite on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

So, I’ve decided to go with a super 35 kit for my rear axles. I’ve done quite a bit of reading on here. Seen lots of advise from Jerry Bransford, Chris, and others.

I’ve decided to go with the revolution gear axles with the ARB locker, unless there is a better recommendation? From everything I’ve read, and everything I have been told here, the 1541H is hands down the best rear axle for the Dana 35 super due to grooving of the chromoly shafts. I’m choosing the ARB locker because I like the idea of selectable lockers, vs the auto locker set up in the rear. And ARB seems to have a great name in the industry. Also revolution offers the ARB locker in a kit they sell. I’m open to other suggestions as far as lockers go...

So my questions are: is the revolution gear axles (30 spline) made of 4340 chromoly or are they made with the 1541H?

Can I use my stock 3.73 ring and pinion with the locker? I plan on regearing to 4.88 in the future.

I’ve done a little research on amazon and eBay, even poked around on revolutions website, but can’t seem to find what material is used in the Dana 35 super kit from revolution. They offer a 10 year warranty on their axles, which seems to be great. But before I pull the trigger on this, I would like to know what I’m getting (it’s possibke the info is out there, and I just missed it). Any insite on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
I'm pretty sure they are 1541H since there was some confusion over how they had them on the website and a call clarified it, but, you can always call and ask them.

The 30 spline Dana 35 ARB locker is compatible with 3.54 and numerically higher gears. Since it's a new carrier everything will need to be reshimmed to it when it's installed unlike a lunchbox locker that replaces the spider-gears within the carrier and can be done by most here in the garage. I only mention that so that if you are thinking about re-gearing in the future you may want to save yourself some scratch and do it at the same time, otherwise you're paying for the labor twice on the rear axle.

You could of course always just do the rear first and then the front later, but obviously you can't use 4WD at that point.

It's also recommended to get at least new bolts for your ring gear and not reuse the old ones. Check if the kit comes with new ones, otherwise order some: they aren't expensive.

Additionally, and this may not matter if you have a shop do it (as most do for good reason as you know) I have read that for Dana 35s a case spreader is generally only ever used on ARB air lockers. It's a tool any shop capable of re-gearing should have, but not necessarily owned by anyone that's installed gears at home (and it's not a cheap tool).

I’ve decided to go with the revolution gear axles with the ARB locker, unless there is a better recommendation?

I've heard nothing but great things about those axles and the ARB. Selectable lockers are always more desirable if the budget allows since they themselves are pricey and the control has to be installed and routed properly plus additional components when necessary (like onboard air in the case of an air locker). Ox is also a good choice from what I've read, but I get the impression it's not as preferred as the ARB is. The Eaton E-Locker is, as far as I know, the only real competition to the ARB, only preferred because it's electronic over pneumatic, but otherwise every bit as good.

According to their product page here they are indeed 1541H:

Revolution Gear said:
Revolution replacement series axles are made from 1541H Steel and utilize a state of the art computer controlled heat treated process.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJBob
Ricky at www.4lowparts.com is running a sale on Revolution Gear's Super 35 kit with the Detroit Locker, odds are good he can also give you a sale price with the ARB Air Locker. Ricky's a good guy who supports the offroad community. He's even making some donations to a desert cleanup group I formed with some friends last year. Call him, it's not real easy to find everything on his website. Tell him I told you about the sale he's running with the Detroit Locker, see what he'll do for the ARB Air Locker.

And to confirm, RGA's Super 35 kit definitely comes with 1541H axle shafts. It's a great kit.

Last edited:
Now I’m questioning myself. Should I go with an elocker or an air locker? Is it souly based off of preference? From a performance stand point, what is the difference? Obviously one being electronic and the othe being pneumatic. This is the first time I’ve ever done lockers, and like anyone else, I want the best bang for the buck. Obviously on board air is better for the fact that I can air my tires back up when coming off the trail, but the install of the elocker sounds like it may be cheaper up front (due to not having to install on board air in order to use them) and less labor intense due to routing air lines.

Defiantly going with with the RGA axles.

As far as the install of it all, I will be doing all the labor myself. I successfully installed a posi track in an old ford truck I had years ago, new carrier and all. And for what I don’t know I have a couple good buddies that can help me out in that department.

Now I’m questioning myself. Should I go with an elocker or an air locker? Is it souly based off of preference? From a performance stand point, what is the difference? Obviously one being electronic and the othe being pneumatic. This is the first time I’ve ever done lockers, and like anyone else, I want the best bang for the buck. Obviously on board air is better for the fact that I can air my tires back up when coming off the trail, but the install of the elocker sounds like it may be cheaper up front (due to not having to install on board air in order to use them) and less labor intense due to routing air lines.

Defiantly going with with the RGA axles.

As far as the install of it all, I will be doing all the labor myself. I successfully installed a posi track in an old ford truck I had years ago, new carrier and all. And for what I don’t know I have a couple good buddies that can help me out in that department.
If you go with the ARB, have it installed by a shop that is highly experienced with them. There is at least one modification required that has to be done & an inexperienced installer wouldn't know about it There's more to installing a selectable locker than there is an automatic device like a Positrac LSD or Detroit Locker.

Also know that the standard ARB air compressor usually used to power the locker is NOT up to refilling tires, not even close. The air locker only takes a tiny amount of air volume to engage it and that's all their basic compressor puts out.... a tiny amount of air that is just right for the air compressor but not enough to consider as a source of air for refilling tires.

Personally I'd go for the ARB Air Locker with their standard compressor and use something else to refill your tires. I'd rather not use the locker's compressor for that purpose. ARB does have a big compressor suitable for both purposes but it's very expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJBob
If you go with the ARB, have it installed by a shop that is highly experienced with them. There is at least one modification required that has to be done & an inexperienced installer wouldn't know about it There's more to installing a selectable locker than there is an automatic device like a Positrac LSD or Detroit Locker.

Also know that the standard ARB air compressor usually used to power the locker is NOT up to refilling tires, not even close. The air locker only takes a tiny amount of air volume to engage it and that's all their basic compressor puts out.... a tiny amount of air that is just right for the air compressor but not enough to consider as a source of air for refilling tires.

Personally I'd go for the ARB Air Locker with their standard compressor and use something else to refill your tires. I'd rather not use the locker's compressor for that purpose. ARB does have a big compressor suitable for both purposes but it's very expensive.
Ah got ya. There is a local shop that does a lot of jeeps here in town, but they are notorious for being pricy. But I guess a few extra bucks is worth the peace of mind knowing it’s installed correctly. Again thanks for all the info. Chances are I would have done it myself and screwed something up. Again, thanks for all the info!!

Should I go with an elocker or an air locker?

That's a Chevy/Ford debate as far as I've seen. Whomever has one has never had problems with it and seen the other fail all the time, everywhere, in the worst place possible and it took the driver to the afterlife along with it.

I can only go off anecdotes: I don't have either and don't plan on it any time soon, so I've only done a cursory look into them, but that's my impression.

My ARBs have been great, the one minor issue Ive had is the solenoid was leaking, nothing tfe tape couldn't fix. The ARB requires drain slots, so if you do go that route make sure the installer cuts them in. Otherwise you get gear oil puking out the breather tube.

My ARB's have also been great. Besides the pump having a small electrical problem that was fixed with only a few dollars, I've had nothing but a great experience with my lockers. I will warn you about getting a proper install though. I had an issue only a few weeks after my lockers were installed. Unfortunately, because two different shops had already been in the differential, I had to bite the bullet and pay for the repair myself since neither shop would admit fault. See if you can spot the problem in the photo below (it is hard to miss).

I'd send a copy of that photo to ARB-USA and tell them the installing shop did that. If the shop is also an ARB dealer ARB would like to know they effed up that install. That particular problem looks like it would have been caused during the initial installation. ARB doesn't want shops as dealers installing their lockers who don't know what they're doing.

I'd send a copy of that photo to ARB-USA and tell them the installing shop did that. If the shop is also an ARB dealer ARB would like to know they effed up that install. That particular problem looks like it would have been caused during the initial installation. ARB doesn't want shops as dealers installing their lockers who don't know what they're doing.

The shop that did it is a very good shop in Utah. It most likely wasn't their fault. I drove nearly 1500 miles to Moab and the Grand Canyon with an absolutely terrible driveline vibration that stemmed from the front driveshaft slip joint. It was so bad that you couldn't see what was in the rear view mirror above 60 mph. I didn't know any better at the time and most likely caused the issue by doing so. Can only know so much when you've had your license for 5 months I guess.

Probably should have mentioned that in my first post now that I think about it.

My ARBs have been great, the one minor issue Ive had is the solenoid was leaking, nothing tfe tape couldn't fix. The ARB requires drain slots, so if you do go that route make sure the installer cuts them in. Otherwise you get gear oil puking out the breather tube.

I think I have an air leak somewhere in my rear locker, if I turn the locker on sitting still or driving along one a straight flat surface it cycles on for about 2 seconds or so then shuts off. But when I’m really digging in it cycles on/off more and more, sometimes even stays on. I’ve ignored it because it all works, just annoying to listen to. What was happening that led you to discovery the solenoid was leaking as opposed to something else like an air-line or O-ring?

If you go with the ARB, have it installed by a shop that is highly experienced with them. There is at least one modification required that has to be done & an inexperienced installer wouldn't know about it

Jerry can you be more specific on this modification? I've spoken with my installer about my above issue but have yet to bring it in for him to look at. When I eventually do I'd like to be able to discuss this with him.

I think I have an air leak somewhere in my rear locker, if I turn the locker on sitting still or driving along one a straight flat surface it cycles on for about 2 seconds or so then shuts off. But when I’m really digging in it cycles on/off more and more, sometimes even stays on. I’ve ignored it because it all works, just annoying to listen to. What was happening that led you to discovery the solenoid was leaking as opposed to something else like an air-line or O-ring?

Jerry can you be more specific on this modification? I've spoken with my installer about my above issue but have yet to bring it in for him to look at. When I eventually do I'd like to be able to discuss this with him.

My compressor was cycling every couple of minutes. Soapy water sprayed at the solenoid showed bubbles. Plus it was just a few days or even week after initial install of the front locker.

Also, in addition to the drain slots--ARB requires that you notch one of the shims for the copper airline.

Last edited:
I tried the soapy water on the line where it enters the pumpkin hoping it was there, but it was tight. Didn't think of the solenoid, I'll give that a try this weekend. In my case however this issue didn't develop until a year or more from install, not sure what if anything that means.