Super 35 rear end upgrade help

Jerry can you be more specific on this modification? I've spoken with my installer about my above issue but have yet to bring it in for him to look at. When I eventually do I'd like to be able to discuss this with him.
It has to do with an oil drain modification inside the axle to prevent the axle from pressurizing and filling the vent or ARB air line with gear lube. You can download ARB's instructions on it at
https://www.arb.com.au/assets/air-lockers/5-11.pdf

Nice vid on locker differences. Myself.. I am leaning towards an Ox Mechanical locker.
I'd only go with an Ox if you'll go with the electric or air actuated model. The original design that uses a cable and lever to control it is a PITA to install and it doesn't always stay in adjustment. Since you want a selectable locker you may want to take a serious look at an ARB Air Locker or the less costly Eaton E-Locker.

I'd only go with an Ox if you'll go with the electric or air actuated model. The original design that uses a cable and lever to control it is a PITA to install and it doesn't always stay in adjustment. Since you want a selectable locker you may want to take a serious look at an ARB Air Locker or the less costly Eaton E-Locker.
@Jerry Bransford What would be the deciding factor between the ARB air locker vs Eaton E-locker? Besides the obvious extra expenses like an air compressor. I see where someone said it’s basically a Ford/Chevy debate. Although that may sum it up in a nutshell, what are the true pros and cons?

The end result for my TJ is about 75-80% on road, 20-25% off road. If anything, thats figuring a bit heavy on the off road side. I know me, and as soon as I’m in good enough shape to start tackling some FUN trails, I’m gonna be out every chance I get!

Thanks for all the info you, and many others have shared with me this far. When I went down this rabbit hole, I really thought I had some things figured out.... was not the case haha!

Id take an Arb or Eaton anyday... both proven designs. I just like the Ox for its simplicity. I have heard that the cable is a big pita to lay out since it is thick/rigid, but that's pretty much it. Another con to the Ox.. is placing the lever in cab. Switches are far better looking than another shifter.

But between the 3.. ox.. eaton.. and arb.. I feel the ox is more durable and reliable simply due to its design.. less dependant parts.

I find that video does a great job breaking down the lockers.

Is the OX cover going to create interference issues with the suspension travel?

But between the 3.. ox.. eaton.. and arb.. I feel the ox is more durable and reliable simply due to its design.. less dependant parts.
You should take a look at what the competitors run in extreme events like the annual King of the Hammers. I did a count several years there and there was something like 86% ARB Air Lockers, followed by Detroit Lockers. There were only 2-3 out of 100+ competing vehicles running Ox lockers. KOH competitors, for one, choose their lockers on the overall strength and reliability.

Reactions: Daryl
You should take a look at what the competitors run in extreme events like the annual King of the Hammers. I did a count several years there and there was something like 86% ARB Air Lockers, followed by Detroit Lockers. There were only 2-3 out of 100+ competing vehicles running Ox lockers. KOH competitors, for one, choose their lockers on the overall strength and reliability.

Im with you Jerry.. in that arb and eaton are awesome lockers.. and reliable. But so is Ox, and just by design.. I'd say more so reliable.. which resonates with me.

Arb and eaton.. are very good lockers and i would love to have either of them. But if i have to choose.. then I pick Ox.

All my wheeling buddies have eaton or arb... and as you say.. so does KOH. Which is a good testimony.

If i had to guess.. i would say most people pick arb or eaton because they can activate it with a switch.. rather than another lever.

Taking a granular look... there are differences between each locker outside of design which makes Ox win by a hair.

For example.. the eaton.. requires some wheel spin for the cams to lock in position, which isnt a major issue. But the slop isnt welcome when starting on a steep hill, or reversing.

Another is how Ox uses a fork rather than springs, and can be turned into a long term spool.

Arb.. is also great.. but colder temperature introduces condensation and freezing in the lines.

Lastly, The ox cable.. over time can get stretched out.. i hear.

Anyways.. i am a big fan of all 3.. but if i am using my own money.. Ox locker it is.

The ox diff cover? I dont know, nor have i heard of that being an issue. Maybe some guys with ox can sound in.

If the OX cover is fatter than stock, then it may be bashing into the gas tank (or front track bar) with insufficient bump stop extension. There are plenty of good reasons to add bump stop, but a diff cover isn't one of them.

Last edited:

For example.. the eaton.. requires some wheel spin for the cams to lock in position, which isnt a major issue. But the slop isnt welcome when starting on a steep hill, or reversing.

.., and can be turned into a long term spool.
Both are true of all selectable lockers.

If the slop you are referring to is the elocker cams unlocking with a direction change, consider that the Detroit behaves somewhat similarly.

Arb.. is also great.. but colder temperature introduces condensation and freezing in the lines.

How common is this? ...in San Diego? ;)

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
With all due respect, I watched the same video 2 years ago and came away with an Ox bias. I think the guy himself biases his audience toward that locker. Just my .02c. I run an Eaton E-Locker and I have no complaints. If you wait to turn your locker on until you absolutely need it, you’re an idiot.

• Haha
Reactions: Daryl
Both are true of all selectable lockers.

If the slop you are referring to is the elocker cams unlocking with a direction change, consider that the Detroit behaves somewhat similarly.

How common is this? ...in San Diego? ;)

Not very common in san diego.. though it is highly possible to wheel at 10k in the snow, and then wheel at sea level high desert within a few hrs. But it can be an issue, and thats the whole point of my previous comment.

Some trips on my list ,"coyote flats" for one, do deal with cold temps at high altitude.

Im not bashing arb or eaton.. but i am just being objective and trying to point out the minor differences, pro and con.. and why i prefer Ox, when the time comes.

So what I’m putting together, choosing a locker is pick your poison.

Let’s see if I’m on the right track here.

Eaton Elocker disengages with directional change, and takes some wheel spin to reengage. Which, to me, seems like a bad idea since I have a standard transmission. No I don’t do any rock crawling, or super technical wheeling, but we do have some nasty hill climbs in Indiana. So to get stuck on the side of a muddy hill, or if I need to back up for a different approach it could be trouble. As I understand it....

The manual Ox locker... I just don’t know enough about I guess. I’ve read enough threads on here, that I feel like I can pretty much assume that the advice Jerry Bransford gives is pretty darn solid. Also the fact that I don’t care much for the look, or have a real good place for the manual engagement knobs. A switch of some kind seems to be a better option for me.

As far as a Dayton or lunchbox style, Seeing how the majority of my driving will be on road, neither really seem like an option, and am dealing with a similar disengagement with direction change as the elocker. As well as the performance on slick roads.

ARB air locker seems to have it’s downfalls as well. Possible Icing up of lines, and possible air leaks, along with the detailed install... like I said before, I live in Indiana. So I will defiantly be dealing with some subzero temps at times. Are there any precautions I can take if I go the air locker route? Maybe insulating the air lines? Do they make a “heat tape” in 12v? Maybe some sort of filter like on a conventional air compressor? Also, how often do the o-rings need to be serviced in the ARB locker?

As far as the install goes, if the only mod I need to make is cutting for oil drain, that is well within my skill set. I’m no mechanic by industry standards. But I take a lot of pride in being able to figure most things out, assuming I can get all the details of a correct installation. I’ve rebuilt both auto and standard transmissions in the past, successfully, among several other things. I’m pretty mechanically inclined. I’m a firm believer that with time and patience most folks can figure most things out, without blowing parts money on labor fees at the local shop. The only thing I’m unsure of, at this point, is having to have a case spreader. Could someone elaborate a bit more on that part? As well as any other mods that need to be done with or to the ARB locker.

I’m not bashing any of them, or saying one is a definite answer over the other, as everyone has their own opinions and needs for their build. I’m just trying to compile a list of possible issues and trying to make an educated decision before I spend a bunch of money on my rig.

Also would like to thank everyone who has chimed in on my thread. The convo and the back and forth has opened my eyes to a lot of things I hadn’t really considered. Or simply just didn’t know to consider. So thanks for the education and pointers guys! Y’all are helping me out more than you even realize 👍🏼

I might the recent reason people are talking about the e-locker momentarily unlocking with a direction change. I'm not sure that is real world issue anymore. Everyone loves the Detroit Locker, which will unlock anytime it is not under load, but I don't recall complaints about that. That suggests the E-locker doing similar is not a real world concern.

The type of transmission would not have any bearing on this behavior.

Regarding the freezing of the ARB air lines, show us an example of this happening. Where exactly does this freezing of water occur?

The only part of that I can weigh in on is the freezing of the air lines, I think we’re in similar climates & until this thread I had never heard of that occurring; it’s not my preference but I’ve wheeled in some damn cold temperatures & it isn’t something I’ve experienced personally or witnessed with my buddies that have air, really not even sure how it’s possible but I guess anything is… I think if it’s cold enough to freeze a line you’ll probably find me laying on my couch with a remote in my hand anyway 🥶

Or hanging out next to a dumpster fire

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw and TJBob
The Rubicon also has pneumatic lockers. Mine have never frozen, nor do I recall any other instances of this happening.

Reactions: TJBob
I might the recent reason people are talking about the e-locker momentarily unlocking with a direction change. I'm not sure that is real world issue anymore. Everyone loves the Detroit Locker, which will unlock anytime it is not under load, but I don't recall complaints about that. That suggests the E-locker doing similar is not a real world concern.

The type of transmission would not have any bearing on this behavior.

Regarding the freezing of the ARB air lines, show us an example of this happening. Where exactly does this freezing of water occur?
My concern with the manual transmission is being on a hill and needing to push in the clutch causing the Jeep to slightly roll backwards. If the Elocker does in fact disengage when direction is changed, then that would be my concern with the manual.
The only part of that I can weigh in on is the freezing of the air lines, I think we’re in similar climates & until this thread I had never heard of that occurring; it’s not my preference but I’ve wheeled in some damn cold temperatures & it isn’t something I’ve experienced personally or witnessed with my buddies that have air, really not even sure how it’s possible but I guess anything is… I think if it’s cold enough to freeze a line you’ll probably find me laying on my couch with a remote in my hand anyway 🥶

Or hanging out next to a dumpster fire
touché.