Tailgate Molle Panel Recommendation

Also, make sure to weave the molle bags properly... so many folks just send through a couple of the loops, and do not weave through the bag itself as well on each loop. (had to instruct many privates through sergeants, and LT's, on how to thread the molle system)
I'm all ears...

The back of the accessory that you put onto the grid will have one or more straps perpendicular to the button down strap. start by weaving the button strap through the grid, then through that perpendicular strap on the accessory. Repeat grid to accessory weaving until yo are at the snap on the back, and secure.

This keeps the bags/accessories from flopping around and sagging a lot.. it can be difficult, but worth it.

Reactions: Zorba
Overland Outfitters tells me that they got a lot of requests for a TJ version of their HD Molle Tailgate Panel at the Smokey Mountain Jeep Invasion show last weekend so they asked me to design one for them. I did the design the other day, in this photo I'm checking out a preliminary pattern on my LJ tailgate (the final pattern is very slightly different):

TJHDMollePattern.jpg

I turned over the pattern to them and they tell me they'll have in in production before their next show (Overland East in early October).

They plan to do them in leather and canvas and in the same colors as their JK and JL tailgate panels, seen here at the Smokey show:

Smokey21OO1.jpg

Email today from Overland Outfitters - they're in the middle of production for the TJ HD Molle Tailgate panels, they sent me a quick photo of one in black with brown leather:

TJTailgatePanel1.jpg

They're doing this color and they're doing tan canvas with brown leather (the tan one will look great in Saharas).

They'll be sending me one or maybe two to test install, probably will arrive next week and I expect they'll release them for sale soon after.

Yesterday I received one of the first production TJ/LJ HD MOLLE Tailgate Panels from Overland Outfitters to test. Since my LJ has a MORryde Storegate on my LJ tailgate, I installed the panel on a test tailgate I have on hand. Fit is great.

TJTailgatePanel2.jpg

I think they will be releasing these in the next week or so but they haven't given me a date.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
s-l1600.jpg

Could you rigidly mount something like this? They're only $45. I use one for my tailgate as a table, but you can mount straps and stuff, but I suggest eliminating the table feature or secure it better.

I'll note that it works for the TJ, but you just have to drill in different places than you would for a JK.

It's not quite molle, but it's kinda close and it's AL and easy to cut and shape.

s-l1600.jpg

There's some various panels you could probably just mount as well to the door (cut if needed). Most are for the back of seats, but just find the size and I've seen $45-$90, just at a glance.

I've got the soft molle stuff for the seats and overhead in my Jeep and my truck and if you haven't tried a setup like that, it's fairly convenient. I store a bunch of stuff in the soft molle and even like basic wrenches and stuff I use fairly often and some tire/air compressor stuff I need quick. Also attach a bladder to the back for any long treks and remove the bladder and it's a nice storage pouch. It's a great place for easily accessible MED/Bleed kits too, which I suggest having mounted anywhere possible and more than 1, because 1 wreck often involves more than 1 person and stopping bleeding and keeping air in the lungs is very vital if you ever have to do it.

I thought about like a soft MOLLE on a Gull wing for the back driver's side window of the hardtop, but I can't do the gull wing because of my roof rack.

Reactions: mushdogs
View attachment 278477

Could you rigidly mount something like this? They're only $45. I use one for my tailgate as a table, but you can mount straps and stuff, but I suggest eliminating the table feature or secure it better.

I'll note that it works for the TJ, but you just have to drill in different places than you would for a JK.

It's not quite molle, but it's kinda close and it's AL and easy to cut and shape.

Where can I get this? I like it more than my current tailgate table.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Where can I get this? I like it more than my current tailgate table.
I ordered the cheapest JK tailgate table from Ebay. Then just figure out your bolt holes, as there are some parts of the TJ tailgate that you can't use the nutserts.

Zorba said he preferred a rigid molle panel and the only rigid molle panel I've done for a TJ tailgate is the one in the video below that's part of a tailgate table system and it's not in production yet anyway.

I have done a high-end soft panel in canvas and leather for the JK and JL and they are in production but so far the company doesn't believe there's enough interest in a TJ version of it for them to produce one specifically for the TJ although they have sold some of the JK panels to TJ people who said they would work out mounting it on a TJ tailgate themselves... https://www.overland-outfitters.com/store/p8/Tailgate_Storage_System_JK/JKU_('07-'18).html#/. Based on Zorba's initial comments about price and the fact that a TJ-specific version isn't available I don't think he'll be interested in.
Wow I need something like this,how much to make one of these,or coul I get the parts?

Reactions: Ironman
Wow I need something like this,how much to make one of these,or coul I get the parts?
So far the prototype in the video is the only one that's been made. A company has expressed interest in manufacturing and marketing the design but I haven't done anything yet to make that happen, I've been too busy with other projects.

Just arrived from Overland Outfitters - production TJ HD MOLLE Tailgate panels in two colors; base is heavy canvas in black or tan and the PALS grid, trim and reinforcements are leather.

TJHDMolleProductionPkg.jpg

Since my LJ has a MORryde Storegate on the tailgate I won't be using these but it's nice to see that they're now in production. If they're not on the OO web site yet they probably will be soon.

Reactions: Zorba and Ironman
Here is a video on the JK model. Very nice product, but TJ model not up on the site yet as noted above.

I’ll be getting one of these. Thanks for the post.

I got an email from Overland Outfitters this morning:

The new TJ tailgate panel is now on our web site and ready to ship: https://www.overland-outfitters.com/store/p54/HD_MOLLE_Tailgate_Panel_TJ/LJ/YJ.html#/. It's available in two colors - black canvas with brown leather and tan canvas with brown leather. Quadratec is in the process of doing their photography and hopefully the product will be on their site soon.

We've set up a special discount for members of the forum - people can use code TJFORUMDEAL to get an additional 15% off the lowest sale price on any TJ gear on the site for a limited time; free shipping is included.

We'll have samples of the new seat-back MOLLE mount and the Roll Bar Buddies to you soon for testing.

The discount code applies to all of their TJ accessories. They've got other TJ things that may interest people; my better half's favorite accessory is their Grab Bar Pockets:

BlackWithTanTJ1.jpg

I use their Roll Bar bag in my LJ; it very nicely houses my 35,000 lb. recovery strap.

The "Roll Bar Buddies" new product they mentioned in the email is a storage option for small gear on the roll bars, this is a tactical version, which has places for a tactical flashlight, two magazine-size pouches (perfect for a multi-tool) and places for pen-sized things like air pressure gauges.

RollBarBuddyTacticalJL.jpg

There's also a version with two larger pockets.

The "seat-back MOLLE mount" they mentioned is a band that slips over the seat and includes a PALS/MOLLE strip for hanging standard MOLLE pouches; it's also got a zipper for hanging their "Zip & Go" gear (the messenger bag at lower left is z Zip & Go bag) and it's strong enough for their "Grab & Go" bags, which have a belt clip style attachment (the Home Depot Husky pouch in the upper left and the first aid bag upper right have Grab & Go belt clips on them).

HeadrestBandLJExamples.jpg

Reactions: wigsajumper
18626397-5812-4FCA-A027-389E393A38B6.jpeg
50BA5D37-E9E6-4ED4-9D6A-22A93235B2EF.jpeg
001D7817-DD54-4E9D-B04F-2A1C0F3C9764.jpeg
92F2B040-88FF-4B6E-97DB-0655D7D604B4.jpeg

This is what I did. It’s a Pelican rigid Molle panel that is used inside their Pelican case lids (there are different versions depending on case size). This one is just over 20”x11”. It has 4 quick clips that allow me to remove the entire panel from the tailgate in 30 seconds. Very handy for lacing whatever bags I happen to have hanging on it at any given time. I usually run my Surviveware medium first aid bag and their trauma bag. Very handy. The panel and fasteners were $42.85 to my door (Amazon)…