The good news thread

Every time I see you've posted something in "The good news thread", I anticipate more "Stories of Owen". This wasn't one of 'em, but a good 2nd Place! :)
With me being on the road this month and Owen being in detention, there wasn't much to work with.

His parole was short lived according to Grandma. Tuesday, Owen gave his older black belted brother a love tap in the head with his foot for no other reason than being the little brother. Incredibly brave or incredibly stupid, take your pick. Before Eli could stain our carpet with him, Grandma intervened and gave Owen a severe dressing down (Daughter of a DI and a former mom of two four year olds) and a long time out in solitary aka the living room with no TV. I guess Owen was pretty subdued after that.

Looks like he may be going through a growth spurt. I recall wanting to drown ours when they went through theirs.

Normally we all go to my parent’s for Christmas but with all the bs going on & them being in their 80’s I cancelled that, the rest of us are too busy out in the world & we all come in contact with way too many people & I determined it wasn’t worth the risk to them. They were bummed out of course, but I’d rather they still be here next Christmas.

On the bright side I got to spend the day with my son & his girlfriend, just the three of us, made a big bowl of pasta along with some homemade bread & fried long hots:

IMG_7284.jpg
IMG_7286.jpg

My daughter & son-in-law arrive on Monday for a few days. They were last here on Thanksgiving & spent a couple nights in her old room which had remained unchanged from its state of being existing as she grew up: 100% pink with glitter sparkly stuff glued to the walls, a tiny twin mattress on the floor (we sold her old kiddie bedroom set about a year ago), no tv, no doors on the closet & pretty much just nasty all around. Unbeknownst to her I've converted it into a legitimate & much more comfortable/easier on the eyes guest room with a new queen sized bed on a solid wood frame, new sliding closet doors, new 43 inch LED tv with new stand and night stand (I actually semi-made them). She will literally not recognize this. I really wish I had taken before pictures because it was a train wreck, but here’s the after:

IMG_7294.jpg
IMG_7291.jpg

A little welcome home basket. I had this old metal shelf/stand thing I had used in my office for files for many years, I brought it home a while ago & it was about to end up in the trash when I started this makeover project on the room. I didn't want to go overboard buying new furniture for a room that would get very little use, but needed a TV stand and night stand, so I cut it into two pieces then picked up a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood with a really nice grain, a couple lengths of trim I mitered & glued/nailed on, sanded & finished with stain to match the new bed frame then a few coats of urethane & boom, for a total of $40 we've got furniture :LOL:

IMG_7292.jpg

Tuesday night I returned home after being on work travel since mid-October. During the trip I finished my MS degree, and getting that monkey off my back has been a huge relief. While I was on travel, my awesome BIL took over the build on my son's shoulda been a part out Jeep (no thread updates, yet). Now the Jeep is road-ready a couple weeks ahead of my son's 16 b-day.

Ready for some more Owen?:)

We have the boys today. A lot of Legos' and Harry Potter going on. Out of the blue, Owen asks me to go outside with him. It's 22F, so I get him bundled(still remember how)and out we go. "Can we wide my ATV?" "Sure." It's electric and hasn't been used in a couple months so there wasn't much of charge and he didn't get too far.
I'm guessing Eli is going to want to ride the bigger ATV, so Owen and I trudge through the snow to the big garage so I can plug the other one in to charge.
Walking into that garage was like the first time for Owen. First thing out of his mouth was, "Is dis where you pawk da udder vehicles?" Yes, the four year old said 'vehicles'. He starts wandering around, asking about each one. He gets to the DeSoto and asks me, "Is dis a monster twuck? It has big wheels like a monster twuck. Show me evewy ting about it." So, a typical discussion with a 4yo until we got to the engine. I set a step ladder up by the fender so he could see it and gave him a flash light. I was describing what everything on the engine did and it seemed like he was getting it. I let him sit behind the steering wheel and all he could say was, "Dis is big."
I figure we're almost done when O walks over to the Ural, pats the sidecar and asks to go for a ride. Did I mention it was 22F? So we went for a short ride. His cheeks were bright red by the time we got back home but he had an ear to ear grin.

Now, he's passed out next to me on the couch and I'm ready to join him.

We have the boys today. A lot of Legos' and Harry Potter going on. Out of the blue, Owen asks me to go outside with him. It's 22F, so I get him bundled(still remember how)and out we go. "Can we wide my ATV?" "Sure." It's electric and hasn't been used in a couple months so there wasn't much of charge and he didn't get too far.
I'm guessing Eli is going to want to ride the bigger ATV, so Owen and I trudge through the snow to the big garage so I can plug the other one in to charge.
Walking into that garage was like the first time for Owen. First thing out of his mouth was, "Is dis where you pawk da udder vehicles?" Yes, the four year old said 'vehicles'. He starts wandering around, asking about each one. He gets to the DeSoto and asks me, "Is dis a monster twuck? It has big wheels like a monster twuck. Show me evewy ting about it." So, a typical discussion with a 4yo until we got to the engine. I set a step ladder up by the fender so he could see it and gave him a flash light. I was describing what everything on the engine did and it seemed like he was getting it. I let him sit behind the steering wheel and all he could say was, "Dis is big."
I figure we're almost done when O walks over to the Ural, pats the sidecar and asks to go for a ride. Did I mention it was 22F? So we went for a short ride. His cheeks were bright red by the time we got back home but he had an ear to ear grin.

Good stuff, memories being made here...enjoy and appreciate it, we can tell you do.

This stuff is the best. Hope you all had a great Christmas!

Reactions: Cheesy and Fixer6
Good stuff, memories being made here...enjoy and appreciate it, we can tell you do.
I'd really like to include my granddaughters but they live 1200 miles away in Maine. Hopefully this summer. Lauren and Owen are only four months apart in age. Lauren calls Owen 'Her younger brother that lives with Aunt Cookie'. :LOL: Karis plans on being the next caretaker of the DeSoto. If her parents had a garage, it would already be there and I'd have a 68 Ranchero instead. There is a four year difference between K and Eli but, so far, they are inseparable when they are together. And K has managed to skip becoming the most vile of creatures, the middle school mean girl. She actually has no use for them.

Time for our New Years Day tradition of taking down the tree and burning it. Outside decorations are going to have to stay up a couple more days; frozen to the house.

Kimberly & I popped into town today for a walk & to our surprise every restaurant was serving customers happily sitting outside in January to eat & drink, we joined them at the Sterling Pig Public House. It was a pretty nice day at around 50 degees, but still this is not a scene you'd see in a 'normal' winter in these parts:

IMG_7349.JPG
IMG_7350.JPG
IMG_7351.JPG
IMG_7352.JPG
IMG_7353.JPG

I have become a hit during the last two weeks. Lots of foods I have cooked for family and friends. Dizzy Pig rubs (some of my favorite now), I’ve done a rib roast, multiple tri tips, ribs, pork butt, chicken, turkey....I’m so full I can’t even walk. Lol.

I feel wonderful feeding my loved ones. I feel even better when they take 2nds and 3rds and I have barely any to send home with folks.

I’m thankful for being able to do this. I love the smiles and enjoyed it all. I too love to eat but it warms my heart to provide something people love. If restaurants were not so much work and in this day and age, I’d love to cook in one.

But really. Life is good. I don’t have a lot of family or friends, but love the ones I do. 👍😎

Happy 2021 all.

I feel wonderful feeding my loved ones.

I’m thankful for being able to do this. I love the smiles and enjoyed it all. I too love to eat but it warms my heart to provide something people love. If restaurants were not so much work and in this day and age, I’d love to cook in one.

Yes. Growing up in a family where everyone (even the men) cooked it seemed natural. My college roommates didn't know what to make of me when I cooked for them, they were clueless in the kitchen.

There is nothing better than cooking for friends and family, nothing else brings that much happiness to so many people across so many spectrums, friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, people you just met for that matter... We are connected by the food on the table & that connection spans not only lifetimes but generations, it brings my long gone relatives to life at the table with my kids & eventually my grand kids. It just can't be overstated, its importance. I believe if we dialed back a bit to a time when it was more common practice for families to cook & eat together regularly the world would be in a bit better condition than it currently sits.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Dizzy Pig rubs, it's great stuff. Once the world returns to normal keep your eyes open for a Big Green Egg fest in your neck of the woods, Chris, the DP founder/owner, is aligned fairly closely to BGE & has developed their line of rubs so he's huge in the BGE community of which the festivals are their stock and trade for marketing purposes. You will taste some stuff at those festivals that will blow your mind, a goodly bit of it made with DP rubs.

I turned in my retirement notice yesterday. It doesn't take effect until Oct. 31, but now they know that I am, and have been, serious about it. Loved my time there when it was a Mom and Pop. Not so much since it went corporate and can't seem to find it's own asshole.

We completed the altar for the yoga studio. This was a joint project between Kimberly & I, she provided the old octagonal end table & the vision for what she wanted, I lent support in design & construction.

It began as a very dark (circa 70’s) octagonal end table, it had 6 panels & two swing-out doors. A very bulky piece but within it were the components for the perfect altar. We stared at it for quite a while trying to figure out how to transform it & it sort of fell together as we went. First off it’s solid hardwood, very well made. Began by disassembling it into its components when serendipity struck, the top had warped a tiny bit pulling it apart into two sections about 1/3 & 2/3, once we saw that it made it clear we should use that as the template rather than trying to use the entire piece. This way it would be flush against the wall and a little less imposing.

This is the original piece fully intact:

IMG_7514.JPG

After we cut the bottom to match the top 1/3, we had a bunch of leftover parts, here's some of them along with one of the panels we removed from the frames:

IMG_7521.jpg

After disassembly and cutting, we used stripper to get the nasty old stain/varnish off & expose the natural wood underneath. We did one coat then scraped it off after an hour, it took the bulk of the old varnish off but it needed a second application which I let stay on for 24 hours, it did the trick, though after removal it took over a week to fully dry revealing the ultimate color:

IMG_7357.JPG

a dry fitting of the entire operation, the rear panels were cut down about an inch to match the point where they met the two sides which form the stand to hold the gong, below they're taped while the glue is drying. This is probably two days after the stripper was removed, note how dark the wood still appears, though much lighter than the panels sitting on top which still have the original varnish:

IMG_7362.JPG

here's a shot about two weeks later when we had progressed to painting the stand red and the threshold black, you can see the size of the channel we filled in by looking at the back part on the left frame, it was a good 1/3 inch wide & 1/2 inch deep, took three putty'ings to get it filled & sanded to give the appearance of a solid piece of wood. There was going to be a color issue as we were planning on staining it to try to match the wood but as we grappled with that she floated the idea of painting it instead, that solved the color issue and also gave a really nice contrast:

IMG_7499.JPG

closeup of Ganesh

63197816290__8A6D0CCA-0E05-4654-8885-6493C3B09FB1.JPG

And finally altogether, note how much lighter the wood is, it took about 10 days to finally reach this shade:
IMG_7522.jpg

Next up is curtains & blinds for the two windows along with some kind of sitting apparatus, that will be it for the entire room, probably a small futon of some kind, a yoga mat & this altar, the perfect yoga/meditation studio; Kimberly practices probably about 2 hours/day 7 days/week and is also an instructor, so this room is a perfect escape for her as she still has a house full of kids at home...

IMG_7520.JPG

Edit: after living with it for a while we realized the channels in the two side window panes also needed to be filled in & blacked out, this really finished it off nice. Also rubbed it down with some Verathane Finishing Wax, it's hard to tell in the photos but it deepened the color a bit & gave it a nice finish.

IMG_7755.JPG

Last edited:
Well, Owen is back in pre school and loving it. If you ask him what he does there, he will tell you that he plays with his best friend, Milo. Ask him about any of the other kids and he’ll tell you, “Don’t know, just Milo.”
It ain’t much but I have been on the road, Monday through Friday for the last five weeks.

I just sat down on my couch in Oregon with a glass of bourbon and my Am Staff Terrier by my side after travelling for 34 hours (11 times zones). It feels good to be in the US, although I did eat Popeye's chicken at the Istanbul airport. I don't care what anyone says, Chick-Fil-A smokes the Popeye's sandwich.

I just sat down on my couch in Oregon with a glass of bourbon and my Am Staff Terrier by my side after travelling for 34 hours (11 times zones). It feels good to be in the US, although I did eat Popeye's chicken at the Istanbul airport. I don't care what anyone says, Chick-Fil-A smokes the Popeye's sandwich.
Popeyes > Chick-fil-A on Sunday

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch and zebra12
I really like the Wendy's spicy chicken sand myself. Did try Popeyes once and was not crazy about it, I need to try it again. Chick sand is good from what I remember

Reactions: zebra12