The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread

Look for the TC drop, I would be surprised if you had 4” lift with no TC drop and not felt some significant vibes along the driveline. The TC drop is simply spacers between the skid plate on the bottom and the frame. They just look like big black pucks. It is a cheap fix to driveline vibrations to fix pinion angles. Not sure an SYE will fix your shifting problems. Someone else may know on this thread (one of the best I have seen by the way) Is it an automatic? If so, you may want to look at your shift linkage for your transmission AND your transfer case. Both run down the driver side of the transmission and after lifts, they may be in slightly different positions. In an automatic, some time the shifter for the auto transmission will run into the linkage for the transfer case (4WD). This could explain your problem. To check, get a friend, chalk the wheels, set the brake, turn on your vehicle, and have your friend cycle through the transmission gears or try to put it in 2nd. If you lay next the vehicle (not all the way under it, you will see the linkage moving and might be able to see where it is binding. If it is an auto, this could be the problem. I ran into a lot of forums that discussed this problem early on in my exploration. If it is a manual, someone else will have to chime in.
The jeep is a 5 speed manual. The issue I think that i’ve came across is that the console is in the way of the shifter but i’ve done some research and it seems like an SYE and CV driveshaft would fix it to where the shifting would be pretty much in the spot that it was before the lift if i were to raise the TC back up and install the the new parts. i’m not 100% sure, but i think the TC being lowered (if it is, still haven’t checked but like you said it probably is) is what is throwing off the shifting and it would hopefully go back to normal if i were to raise it back up and install those new parts. plus i could reduce other potential issues if i had the CV driveshaft & would have less driveline vibrations i think. thanks

Reactions: JMT
I took a look at the wrangler and there’s been a TC drop. instead of it being on individually placed spacers it’s been lowered by the new control arm mounts on my jeep (i’ll provide pic) but now my main concern is that it won’t be able to be put back to its original spot since i can’t remove the spacing from the mount. also i took off my center console last night to try and fix its shifting and that still didn’t work & i found out 4 low won’t work either

31E319DB-F948-4C64-B7E9-676B411E1E63.jpeg

Whoa... that's a bizarre setup I haven't seen before. It looks like a lowered transfer case bracket that is connected to relocated control arm brackets? That's some real rigging right there.

Might want to start a new thread for this one for more attention. Never seen anything like this with the exception of a long arm kit.

Whoa... that's a bizarre setup I haven't seen before. It looks like a lowered transfer case bracket that is connected to relocated control arm brackets? That's some real rigging right there.

Might want to start a new thread for this one for more attention. Never seen anything like this with the exception of a long arm kit.
i think i found a fix by just buying a larger straight shifting extender from rough country. thank you for your help though! (also that setup is what came with the rough country lift lol)

Reactions: Chris
Hi, I just had a rough country 4 inch long arm suspensions lift kit and a rough country 2 inch body lift this past week and i’m looking into getting a rear CV driveshaft and a SYE for my jeep. It’s a 2001 4.0L 6 cylinder Wrangler TJ Sport and the main reason i’m thinking about getting one is to fix my shifting. It has a 5 speed and ever since it’s been lifted i’m unable to get the jeep into 2nd gear and i was wondering if this would be the proper way to fix such an issue? thanks
To fix your shifting problem due to your lift, you will need an SYE and DC driveshaft AND a TT. The TT is the key to lifting the transmission back up closer to the tub so the shifter is lined back up, but you have to have an SYE and DC to do the TT.

There might be an alternative temporary fix that you could rig up, such as bending the shifter forward, et al.

Anyone know if a 2.5(about 3) inch lift is okay without a SYE for a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d be surprised if you don’t have some vibrations at that lift height. You can do a Transfer Case drop, maybe 0.5”, or a 1”MML, or the whole SYE and DC. I did the 1”MML and am fine at 3” of lift.

Hi, how do you start a new thread? It isn’t for this issue, I have a separate issue i need to discuss and it isn’t covered in any of the forums and i can’t seem to find out how to start a new thread. thanks

Hi, how do you start a new thread? It isn’t for this issue, I have a separate issue i need to discuss and it isn’t covered in any of the forums and i can’t seem to find out how to start a new thread. thanks

How to post a new topic or ask a question
If you're new to forums, posting a new topic or asking a question is incredibly easy. Just go to the home page and click on the sub-forum you'd like to post in (for instance, TJ General Discussion). Once you're there, click on the big, green, "Post New Thread" button at the top right of the page. It's as simple at that!

Reactions: cameronblizz
Just bought a 2004 Wrangler x and the driveline was vibrating at stock height. Contacted previous owner and he gave me a metal dampener that was on the yoke. I don't know enough to tell but would it be worth just getting an sye kit on a stock height wrangler or to find a shop to fix it. Currently have tried a few but they don't seem to know what it is or how to fix it exactly and dealer just quoted rediculous prices.

Just bought a 2004 Wrangler x and the driveline was vibrating at stock height. Contacted previous owner and he gave me a metal dampener that was on the yoke. I don't know enough to tell but would it be worth just getting an sye kit on a stock height wrangler or to find a shop to fix it. Currently have tried a few but they don't seem to know what it is or how to fix it exactly and dealer just quoted rediculous prices.

It would be worth putting a SYE on a stock height Wrangler if you have any plans whatsoever to lift it in the future!

No, you shouldn't need a SYE for a stock height TJ. It won't fix your problem. It sounds like one of your drive-shafts is out of balance. I'd take it to a drive shaft shop and have them check the balance and correct it.

If the drive shaft is not your problem, what about your tires? Are they in balance? TJ's have to have their tires in perfect balance. What size tire are you running, and what psi? What condition are your tires in?

No, you shouldn't need a SYE for a stock height TJ. It won't fix your problem. It sounds like one of your drive-shafts is out of balance. I'd take it to a drive shaft shop and have them check the balance and correct it.

If the drive shaft is not your problem, what about your tires? Are they in balance? TJ's have to have their tires in perfect balance. What size tire are you running, and what psi? What condition are your tires in?
Drive shaft was checked and it is ok. The tires are stock. One mechanic said the dampener on the yoke is the metal piece that came off and it’s not fixable it just needs a new one, then another mechanic said it was fixable just confused by it all.
It would be worth putting a SYE on a stock height Wrangler if you have any plans whatsoever to lift it in the future!
Thanks for the advice I do plan to lift it but not soon, gonna restore the body first. Would I have to get a custom length driveshaft or would I be able to order one because it’s not lifted yet?

Drive shaft was checked and it is ok. The tires are stock. One mechanic said the dampener on the yoke is the metal piece that came off and it’s not fixable it just needs a new one, then another mechanic said it was fixable just confused by it all.

Thanks for the advice I do plan to lift it but not soon, gonna restore the body first. Would I have to get a custom length driveshaft or would I be able to order one because it’s not lifted yet?

You'd have to get a custom length CV driveshaft. Call up Tom Wood at http://www.4xshaft.com and he'll set you up with everything you need and know the size you need as well!

My 03 TJ had a harmonic balancer on the slipyoke side of the transfer case. Maybe that is what your mechanic is referring to?
20170606_161104.jpg

Thank you so much, yes that’s it. But I’ve heard it can be fixed from a shop and I’ve also heard t can’t be fixed from another. Do you know anything else about it?

I'm not entirely sure how it's attached. Does it have bolt holes on it or anything that suggest it can be bolted back on?

I'm not entirely sure how it's attached. Does it have bolt holes on it or anything that suggest it can be bolted back on?
No it’s just a metal ring hat seems like it was pressed on, previous owner said it fell off so a shop just took it off the shaft for him and he held on to it. Because I’ve gotten different responses on if they can fix it or not I was wondering if it would b easier to do the sye because it gets rid of that part. Thank u all so much for the help also.