The Unofficial 6X6 Thread

Farmergreg

The work will set you free
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I've been a member here for a little over a year and it seems more than a few us share an interest in ex-military trucks. @M35A2 , @lindsey97, @Armytruck6x6

I'll post a few pics of my 1996 M35A3 "Super Gator" that I've had since 2009:

Thats awesome.... that truck wasnt in service long. Love the power steering and cat motor, we left all of them in Iraq, sad!... here is my 85 chevy. I had 14 of them at one point, wife was gonna divorce me lol. I have lots of military trailers too...

20180726_151015.jpg

Thats awesome.... that truck wasnt in service long. Love the power steering and cat motor, we left all of them in Iraq, sad!... here is my 85 chevy. I had 14 of them at one point, wife was gonna divorce me lol. I have lots of military trailers too...

View attachment 79909
My son would shit a brick to get his hands on one of those! (how many do you have left?)

Sadly just that one... sold my two last blazers last fall... i had over 20 desiel motors to maintain. It was to much. I do really miss my blazer! I belong to miltary truck club in NH, so military things are not hard for me to get. Plus i spent 26yrs in the US Army infantry, so again, army stuff is in my blood! I always wanted to do a military jeep, thats how this project started... but the military jeep wasnt the best to bring my wife to the beach in, so i militerized one that could drive an hr or more on the highway.

20180726_151128.jpg

Sadly just that one... sold my two last blazers last fall... i had over 20 desiel motors to maintain. It was to much. I do really miss my blazer! I belong to miltary truck club in NH, so military things are not hard for me to get. Plus i spent 26yrs in the US Army infantry, so again, army stuff is in my blood! I always wanted to do a military jeep, thats how this project started... but the military jeep wasnt the best to bring my wife to the beach in, so i militerized one that could drive an hr or more on the highway.

View attachment 79912

If I didn't know better, I'd say you really like Army green ;)

My addiction started with needing a vehicle to haul firewood in Michigan.

So then one became two, two became five...

and of course you need a few trailers to go with them...

And with so many deuces, you just gotta bob one, right?

When I left Michigan, I sold all but two trucks and one trailer. I hauled the (unfinished) bobber down to San Antonio in the middle of a snowstorm, behind a 5-ton from Illinois that I was driving for someone else (with my Blazer in the bed).

When I moved from San Antonio to East Texas, I road-trained everything i had in one trip.

Two years ago I sold the deuce and the trailer. Now all I have one left is one sad little unfinished Bobber sitting in my side yard with a busted up hood (from flying up and smacking the windshield during the trip down), an off-center rear axle and a set of 46" Michelin XLs on recentered HEMTT wheels waiting to go on.

But now that I have my first Jeep, I'm more motivated to finish the Bobber and make it my tow rig. :D

I actually stopped at a weigh station on my way home that day. 33,000lbs rolling. :eek:

Only slightly over 2.5tons! I've never had the guts to weigh mine loaded.

I tapped the winch hydraulic and put a scissor hoist on.

Hauled quite a bit of dirt also.

• Haha
Reactions: M35A2
Of course those 7 tons of wood were cut right alongside the road😂
They are amazing trucks!

I'll add My 1951 M38 Jeep to the mix.
Bought this around 10 years ago pretty straight.
Still 24volt.
Replaced the gas tank with the proper wide mouth one as the prior owner had but a CJ tank in.
Replumbed the fording valves
She leaks oil like a vintage Harley! But runs and drives well.

Of course those 7 tons of wood were cut right alongside the road😂
They are amazing trucks!

Actually, it was. It came from someone's yard. Lol. But I was truly within weight ratings on the truck (or at least pretty close)
Truck weight empty: 13k
Trailer weight empty: 2700
Weight of firewood: 17k between truck and trailer

Truck bed area: 84sqft
Trailer bed area: 56.5sqft

Truck bed is 60% of total area filled, 60% of the weight is 10,300. Subtract my ass and my buddy's ass and we're actually under 5T. :D

Now the trailer on the other hand... THAT was severely overloaded. :LOL:

Its no 6x6 but I do love the old square body chevy/GMCs.

My dad bought this one new back in 84. IIRC it has about 275k miles on it. Its been our work truck since I can remember. 3 spd manual, 10 bolt front and a 14 bolt rear. Only mods are hedman headers and the snow plow. He bought a tractor recently to replace it for plowing snow and was going to sell it but I talked him into selling it to me. Hopefully in a few years I have a place with a bigger garage/shop that I can tear it down and restore it. The floorboards are being held up by cobwebs, but otherwise its a very solid and reliable pickup. The original 350 was replaced by another crate 350 with a holly carb maybe 15 years ago, and the clutch was replaced probably around the same time. For the first time ever he took off the insurance and didnt register it this year. But I bet it would start right up if turned the key.

Its no 6x6 but I do love the old square body chevy/GMCs.

My dad bought this one new back in 84. IIRC it has about 275k miles on it. Its been our work truck since I can remember. He bought a tractor recently to replace it for plowing snow and was going to sell it but I talked him into selling it to me. Hopefully in a few years I have a place with a bigger garage/shop that I can tear it down and restore it. The floorboards are being held up by cobwebs, but otherwise its a very solid and reliable pickup. The original 350 was replaced by another crate 350 with a holly carb maybe 15 years ago, and the clutch was replaced probably around the same time. For the first time ever he took off the insurance and didnt register it this year. But I bet it would start right up if turned the key.

View attachment 80286

Lemme know when you start working on that. I have a bunch of old Chevy parts with nothing to put them on.

Reactions: tworley
Ill definitely keep that in mind. Hes got a 3 car detached garage and this sits outside along side it:( He keeps talking about starting the restoration but I havent seen any progress yet!

Reactions: M35A2
I cant compete with your deuce collection... i soooo wish i could! I love your jeep! I also do tree work when im not at the FD, use to drive skidders. I now just do it for side work. I have an 80hrs tractor, front and rear grapple w/ 10k winch... 12" chipper, 2x stihl 660s and a 460. I made the dump trailer for my tractor from a 2 wheel drive dump truck that had a blown motor.

20180522_145438.jpg

20180624_153657.jpg

20180823_145446.jpg

20180824_101656.jpg

20180824_101732.jpg

IMG-20160422-WA0003.jpg