Thinking of getting a XJ or ZJ for the winter season

THEREALJIM

TJ Enthusiast
Well as the title says I'm thinking of getting a XJ or ZJ. Thinking of tucking the LJ in the garage for the winter to avoid the Ohio winter salt. I have a Chevy 1500 already but I share it with the family and folks whenever so I'm thinking of getting a third vehicle for winter. Leaning towards a late model XJ or late model ZJ with higher milage and with a ok body(much like myself lol)

So my question is what is everyone's opinion and experience of the XJ and ZJ? I have a little past experience and memories with both, brother owned a 2 door XJ 10 years ago and parents had a ZJ back in the mid/late 90's and a XJ in late 90's/early 00's.

It would primarily be used for my daily 25 min drive to work and back, short road trips and to haul my thick a** dog and myself to local Wendys

Last edited:
I had a few buddies with XJ's in Wyoming. They did great around town in the winter. They rust out fairly badly, but are definitely less valuable than an LJR and I wouldn't be too worried about ruining one in the winter. They are also easy to fix and just as reliable as a TJ. We did some basic maintenance to a buddies and it was never too difficult. For a winter beater, they do pretty good.

One of my buddies from hockey did this to his. I never helped fix this one but from what I remember it was mostly fine. Just dumb high school stuff.

I had a few buddies with XJ's in Wyoming. They did great around town in the winter. They rust out fairly badly, but are definitely less valuable than an LJR and I wouldn't be too worried about ruining one in the winter. They are also easy to fix and just as reliable as a TJ. We did some basic maintenance to a buddies and it was never too difficult. For a winter beater, they do pretty good.

One of my buddies from hockey did this to his. I never helped fix this one but from what I remember it was mostly fine. Just dumb high school stuff.

View attachment 195683
That's a full "send it" haha

Reactions: chad
That's a full "send it" haha

That got posted on a bunch of Jeep pages back when it happened. I haven't seen him or the Jeep in years, but I think it he sold it to some unsuspecting person. Sold it pretty cheap so probably not a rip off deal.

The high school parking lot was full of XJ's since they were good in the snow, reliable, cheap, and with a little work you could take them down almost every forest service road around.

ZJ's aren't too bad either but I wouldn't buy one with a 5.9L. They have been known not to be the greatest engines. My family had a 5.9L 99 when I was very young. Bought it right off the lot. It was always trouble and we got rid of it before 100k miles. The 4.0 ZJ's aren't bad at all. I have a friend at college who had one. It was pulled out of a river on the NM - Mexico border and sold at auction I believe. He had at least 220k on it miles before he sold it to another friend who then crashed it into the median and totaled it.

Maybe I need smarter friends...

That got posted on a bunch of Jeep pages back when it happened. I haven't seen him or the Jeep in years, but I think it he sold it to some unsuspecting person. Sold it pretty cheap so probably not a rip off deal.

The high school parking lot was full of XJ's since they were good in the snow, reliable, cheap, and with a little work you could take them down almost every forest service road around.

ZJ's aren't too bad either but I wouldn't buy one with a 5.9L. They have been known not to be the greatest engines. My family had a 5.9L 99 when I was very young. Bought it right off the lot. It was always trouble and we got rid of it before 100k miles. The 4.0 ZJ's aren't bad at all. I have a friend at college who had one. It was pulled out of a river on the NM - Mexico border and sold at auction I believe. He had at least 220k on it miles before he sold it to another friend who then crashed it into the median and totaled it.

I used to XJs all the time in my area but now they're a rare sight, even more rare to see them in good shape! I'll have to look around for a 4.0 ZJ, just from my quick search I've seen only ZJ V8s

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
I drive my XJ through the winter but admit that I park it on the worst days. I drive my LJ on those days. 😊 With the XJ I'm more concerned about other drivers sliding in to me than anything else. It drives great but it's the little things that drive you nuts. I've had the doors and hatch freeze shut and the door locks can have problems too. The power windows operate a bit more slowly and the wipers freeze up from time to time. If you get one with a good under body and keep up on the rustproofing and wash it regularly it should last.

18-02-10 1.jpg

I put my LJ away every winter. I had a 2000 wj that I used for the winter. It finally shit the bed at 302k miles.
I'm in the process of trying to acquire either a 2000 xj or another used wj.
All the xj's around here are either rotted or modified.

Reactions: THEREALJIM
I drive my XJ through the winter but admit that I park it on the worst days. I drive my LJ on those days. 😊 With the XJ I'm more concerned about other drivers sliding in to me than anything else. It drives great but it's the little things that drive you nuts. I've had the doors and hatch freeze shut and the door locks can have problems too. The power windows operate a bit more slowly and the wipers freeze up from time to time. If you get one with a good under body and keep up on the rustproofing and wash it regularly it should last.

View attachment 195779

I plan on having a little fun with the LJ in the snow, but once the salt is out the LJ won't be! Lol Yeah I'm starting to remember a few weird quirks my brother'a XJ had, I clearly remember the AC crapped out completely on it and the powered locks functioned part of the time lol

I put my LJ away every winter. I had a 2000 wj that I used for the winter. It finally shit the bed at 302k miles.
I'm in the process of trying to acquire either a 2000 xj or another used wj.
All the xj's around here are either rotted or modified.
I feel your pain, everything local here is rotted out too. I've seen a few ZJs and XJs in Florida that look pretty nice and at a good price, just don't know how much I trust a vehicle from a sea salt area🤷‍♂️

What problems did you have with 5.9 V8? I have one in a half ton truck that has been great.

What problems did you have with 5.9 V8? I have one in a half ton truck that has been great.

I don't remember much since I was young, but it had constant, absolutely constant, cooling system issues. Back then, we were putting 40k miles a year on it, so we needed a more reliable vehicle. Ended up with an Infiniti QX56 for a few years which wasn't too great either. That got traded in for a Range Rover in 2008 which surprisingly lasted 180k until it got traded for a new one in 2016.

I have a 96 AWD ZJ with 120,000 miles. Zero issues with 5.2L V8. It is a workhorse. Hauls my kayaks around, great for snowy and icy roads. My son uses it as a dd, and it has been extremely reliable.

ZJ1.jpg
ZJ2.jpg

Reactions: PCO6 and THEREALJIM
I have had a ZJ, an XJ, and currently keep an FSJ as my alternative non-TJ ride. All are surprisingly capable off road, and all are preferable to the TJ for stable, sustained highway travel in snow, in my experience. While my ZJ had the proven 4.0, my brother did have the 5.2 and he squeezed something approaching 300,000 miles out of it.

I have a 96 AWD ZJ with 120,000 miles. Zero issues with 5.2L V8. It is a workhorse. Hauls my kayaks around, great for snowy and icy roads. My son uses it as a dd, and it has been extremely reliable.

View attachment 196047View attachment 196049
Want to sell it? Haha JK

I'll have to keep eye out for the 5.2L. All the ZJs and XJs in my area are rusted bad so I may have to look south. Saw a few in Florida that look solid

Reactions: DuncLJ
My wife drove her '96 XJ 2-door as a daily for about five years. Bought it with 102,000 miles on it, and it now has 180,000 showing. We don't see a helluva lot of snow in this region, but when we do, the XJ does great in it. Mechanically, they're basically whatever you have in the LJ (yes, there are differences, but it's all in the family...). Key will be finding one that isn't rotted out, or been driven by one of @jodomcfrodo's friends! ;)

Snow day.jpg

Last edited:
Want to sell it? Haha JK

I'll have to keep eye out for the 5.2L. All the ZJs and XJs in my area are rusted bad so I may have to look south. Saw a few in Florida that look solid
Lol, I got lucky when I found this one. Rust isn't much of an issue in my part of the country. I've had it for 8 years and it has been great. I really like the 5.2 V8. I wish the TJ had come with it as an option.

Good luck. In my area, any XJs, ZJs, or WJs that aren't a rusted out mess are big money. People know they are sought after. You are better off buying some POS Chevy Tahoe or Suburban for cheap.

Good luck. In my area, any XJs, ZJs, or WJs that aren't a rusted out mess are big money. People know they are sought after. You are better off buying some POS Chevy Tahoe or Suburban for cheap.
I've already convinced myself I'm probably not going to find anything good in my area. Saw a few in Florida I may call on, spotted a few in Texas and Arizona I like but I don't know if I want to commit to that long of a drive lol The POS Chevy market is pretty mediocre here. Damn rust🤬

There are a ton in Colorado, but XJs have a huge price premium now compared to ZJs or WJs so I’d focus on those for winter beaters. I’m not sure Cherokees really even qualify for winter beater status anymore based on their resale value...

But, I’m biased..I daily an XJ and love it just as much as my LJ. Save the XJs!

'89 or '90 XJ will have the AMC manufactured block still too... not uncommon to still see factory crosshatching in the cylinders after 150k, and the motors running well past 300k.

I had a '90 2dr 5 sp, and it went wherever I wanted. Not sure the lift it had, but it cleared 31's easily. Mine didn't have a lot of rust, but it did need bolt soaking to remove. The rear shock pin bolts will inevitably break or will be broken and repaired/converted already. Mostly you will have the same pains and joys of maintenance as you do with the TJ/LJ.. mostly the same mechanicals.