Tips for off-roading?

Ty123

Hey all! I’m new to this page and to owning a Jeep Wrangler. I have a 2020 sport unlimited and wanted to hear from some people on the basics of off roading! Any tips to start out and any use of the transfer case to be used when on rocky terrain? I want to get acclimated with this car fast when on dirt so the more info the better.

1. Air down to 8-12 psi
2. Disconnect front sway bar
3. Switch TCase to 4H while in gear up to 40mph only while on a moveable surface
4. Switch to 4L only in neutral under 5mph on moveable surface
5. Sit your seat a bit more upright to avoid back fatigue
6. Keep your fingers out of the inner steering wheel
7. Learn where everything within reach is in your rig without looking
8. Learn where your tires and diffs are without looking out the window
9. If you are stuck don’t Gun it.
10. No bouncing the rig. That leads to breaking things
11. Turn the tires side to side to find traction

Remember to “put a tire on it“, breathe and go as slow as possible but as fast as necessary.
Don’t drive over your comfort limits at first. Before long, you’ll be modifying your Jeep and trying more challenging trails.

Also, never go out alone. Maybe hook up with a club. Good luck.

1. Air down to 8-12 psi
2. Disconnect front sway bar
3. Switch TCase to 4H while in gear up to 40mph only while on a moveable surface
4. Switch to 4L only in neutral under 5mph on moveable surface
5. Sit your seat a bit more upright to avoid back fatigue
6. Keep your fingers out of the inner steering wheel
7. Learn where everything within reach is in your rig without looking
8. Learn where your tires and diffs are without looking out the window
9. If you are stuck don’t Gun it.
10. No bouncing the rig. That leads to breaking things
11. Turn the tires side to side to find traction

I like your list!

One question though. 8-12 psi? isn't that too low? for no beadlocks?

I like your list!

This can vary on vehicle weight, tire width vs wheel width, among other factors. I usually wheel ~8-9psi on standard non-beadlock wheels, and *knock on wood* have not blown a bead yet. I'm on a 12.5" wide tire, 8" wide wheel, and the Jeep fully loaded tips the scales just over 4k lbs.

This can vary on vehicle weight, tire width vs wheel width, among other factors. I usually wheel ~8-9psi on standard non-beadlock wheels, and *knock on wood* have not blown a bead yet. I'm on a 12.5" wide tire, 8" wide wheel, and the Jeep fully loaded tips the scales just over 4k lbs.

I have never gone lower than 15psi.
My Tj is mostly stock though. 235/70r16 is my tire dimension (which is roughly 29"/9.25"r16). My wheels are the rubicon moabs 16x8 (I think).

I like your list!

No, it’s not too low for a 12.5” tire on an 8” rim.

With your setup you should easily be able to air down to 12psi. I wouldn’t even think twice about it.

Last edited:
No, it’s not too low for a 12.5” tire on an 8” rim.
You should easily be able to air down to 12psi. I wouldn’t even think twice about it.

ok! thanks!

and if something happens, thats why I have the spare. haha :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
I would think that for the OP who probably has 18" rims with "low profile" tires, and it being a heavy JLU, 8-12 psi would be too low. I've never ran with a setup like that though, so that's only speculation.

The best thing you can do (along with following all the advice here so far!) is find people to wheel with. Find someone in the group who is experienced and not a hot shot and follow them. Stay behind that experienced person and watch what they do. Get a CB or bring walkies so you can communicate.

And don't judge a person's capability by their rig. The best wheeler I know is on 32-33's. He used to have a huge rig but said it got boring and dropped back down to "small" tires for a challenge again. That's a good person to learn from!

Reactions: JMT and TJim
I like your list!

12 or 13 is a good place to start. You haven't really aired down until you're in the 12 psi range. I have soft sidewalls and a heavy Jeep and ~15 psi is where I start to get some benefit (softer ride, tire less likely to puncture), but at 13 psi is where I really start to get an increased contact patch. Each PSI makes more of a difference the lower you go. 18 vs 17 psi, no noticeable difference. 10 to 9, you'll see a difference.

A good thing to do is drive on top of a 2x4 or something similar and then start to air down. You haven't reached what is considered "aired down" until the tire starts to wrap around that 2x4. Then air down a little more after that point and check the pressure. It will be in the low teens. :)

With all this talk about airing down make sure you have way to air UP :) Also it's never a shame to say I don't feel comfortable with obstacle or this part of the trail. Never drive beyond your limits of comfort, anytime is the right time to get out of the jeep and look over the trail before saying WTF lets give it a try. Also for the time being never be the first jeep on the trail, follow others and see what line they take.

The best thing you can do (along with following all the advice here so far!) is find people to wheel with. Find someone in the group who is experienced and not a hot shot and follow them. Stay behind that experienced person and watch what they do. Get a CB or bring walkies so you can communicate.

And don't judge a person's capability by their rig. The best wheeler I know is on 32-33's. He used to have a huge rig but said it got boring and dropped back down to "small" tires for a challenge again. That's a good person to learn from!
This a great line "And don't judge a person's capability by their rig" You will be shocked at the lines some people take. I can't count the times anymore that I watch another jeeper and say to myself, self he sure made that harder than it needed to be. If at first you don't succeed pick another line, good luck and welcome to the jeep family.

Lastly wave to every jeep owner you might just renew the jeep wave to JK owners, that us TJ owners have come to know and love