Tire advice

Is this aluminum block a mm lift? That might quash the bodylift removal?

View attachment 65172
If the BL is 1.25", then closer to 2.5-3" of spring is preferable. The issue is the bump stop requirements for 33s. You need about 1.5" of extension to keep the front tires out of the sheet metal at full flex and at least 1" to protect the rear shocks from over compressing.

Finding quality 2.5 inch lift springs seems to be a problem. I have read several articles on this forum on the 2” ome hd being 2.5 especially with the spacers. My rubicon has a hardtop, a winch and a barricade rear bumper with swing out spare. I worry I might not get 2.5 inches. Teraflex also just has 2 and 3 inch lift springs. Any other thoughts on quality 2’.5 springs. I do like the idea of reducing my 4 inch RC suspension lift and improving steering and driveline angles.

Savvy 3" maybe. I think they assume a lighter weight Jeep, so the lift amount could work to your advantage. A phone call might be worthwhile to explain what you are looking for.

A while back I had Currie 3" coils, which are in a similar arena. The rears sat low and the fronts were about right. But my Jeep has some peculiarities that don't transfer to yours.

Savvy 3" maybe. I think they assume a lighter weight Jeep, so the lift amount could work to your advantage. A phone call might be worthwhile to explain what you are looking for.

A while back I had Currie 3" coils, which are in a similar arena. The rears sat low and the fronts were about right. But my Jeep has some peculiarities that don't transfer to yours.
Teraflex thought their 3 inch coils might settle more than the rc.

I bought the 33x10.5r15 c range and they have done very well on the Colorado jeep trails. Good advice. Now after 3 great Colorado Summers, I have found a set of 5 16” moabs. I love the style, but staying in the 32/33 inch at tires, I only see E load range. That might be an advantage in worrying about rocks, but I think those E range ko2s or duratracs will be noticably a bunch rougher and that includes the 1k my wife drives each way to Sw Colorado each Summer. Thoughts from those who have faced this dilemma.

I bought the 33x10.5r15 c range and they have done very well on the Colorado jeep trails. Good advice. Now after 3 great Colorado Summers, I have found a set of 5 16” moabs. I love the style, but staying in the 32/33 inch at tires, I only see E load range. That might be an advantage in worrying about rocks, but I think those E range ko2s or duratracs will be noticably a bunch rougher and that includes the 1k my wife drives each way to Sw Colorado each Summer. Thoughts from those who have faced this dilemma.
In my experience, the only meaningful difference between 15 and 16" is cost. There are too many differences between tires to make a blanket statement about the effects of one load range or another. Though, I can also say that in my experience, the differences in comfort between C and E have been barely noticable.

Reactions: LONGJP2
between C and E have been barely noticable.
same offroad? same grip or ability to conform to terrain? or is a difference like that more in sidewall construction?

my wheels will do great around here but in your hood i think they might have trouble giving as much as i think i'd prefer.

same offroad? same grip or ability to conform to terrain? or is a difference like that more in sidewall construction?

my wheels will do great around here but in your hood i think they might have trouble giving as much as i think i'd prefer.
The differences in grip that I have seen and experienced cannot be simply attributed to load range. Compound and tread design appear to be far more significant.

Reactions: someguysjeep
Not an issue. I've had both 33x10.50s on 15 and 16 rims.... Off Road if there is a ride differece it is barely noticeable. Around town yes, potholes hit harder but on smooth pavement there is zero difference in the ride.

Traction??? KO2s are pretty equal regardless of the rating,, C/D/E mean stiffer sidewalls so at 10psi the Cs might wrap themselves over obstacles better but there are so many other factors I doubt the C/D/E rating will leave you stuck/stranded.

Last edited:

I have had the same experience as above. I had 2 sets of wheels/ tires in load E and C. Both were Duratracs. The ride difference between 285 E rated and the 265 C rated was imperceptible. Since I owned both sets at the same time I was able to directly compare them. I can not comment on different brands so maybe others have had different experiences. I eventually sold the 265's and just have the 285's now. Offroad I haven't had any problems. I wouldn't go out of my way to get 16's but do agree the Moabs are one of the best looking wheels that can be put on a TJ. If they are in good shape and you like the look I wouldn't be swayed by tire load ratings.

Personally, I think the 31’s will be far too small for the lift.

Functionally, they will work fine.

If it were me, I’d go for a 32 or 33 at least.

As far as riding rough, what pressure are they running? Lots of shops love to pump them up way too high for the weight of the vehicle resulting in a harsh ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think a 33” tire would look right with your lift & would be great for a daily driver. I’ve got 33s on mine & I’ve regeared it to 4.56, but your 4.10s would be fine.