Tire Carrier Options

Here is the best pic I can do...

Really all you need to do is stare at the problem, understand how it works, think of the load and forces put on it and then a will go on. I try to think outside the wallet.

IMG_0371.JPG

Here is the best pic I can do...

Really all you need to do is stare at the problem, understand how it works, think of the load and forces put on it and then a will go on. I try to think outside the wallet.

I'm staring at the problem, but the problem appears to be related to the massive amounts of snow I'm seeing!

Isn't changing 5 tires going to run you more than $400 anyway? I mean, if you're going to spend the $$, you could end up with a better tailgate, tire carrier, and keep the 33" tires...just thinking out loud...

Have been thinking about this and - I think I am indeed going to order an Exogate, because you are very very right. Good point.

Reactions: Chris
Got a question for the veterans. I bit the bullet an got an Exogate. I'm running 33x12.5x15 tires. It holds the tire and wheel just fine. The problem is it's so heavy it has split the rear gate at the latch, in the corner at the top. @Chris any experience with this?

IMG_5095.JPG

IMG_5096.JPG

Did you put all the tire bump stops back on to the proper spacing so the tire hits the bumpers when shut? Mine has 2 on the gate, 1 at the bottom on the body. I also don't need to slam it closed, do you?
Yes. I actually had to manufacture my own out of Nylon. The spacers from the factory wasn't long enough. The tire naturally has some movement to it but not much. No I don't have to slam it in order to shut it. It's just really heavy. I had quite a bit of body work done and complete paint job. Thing is my OEM gate was rusted, so I bought an after market to replace it. I've compared the after market vs an OEM gate. Only difference I can see it the extreme price for an OEM that looks the same. I've even compared it next to a friends Jeep and there isn't much difference between them at all. Here lies the culprit, my better half did slam it ONCE two weeks ago. I didn't open or look at the gate until I found it like this a week later.

E
Did you put all the tire bump stops back on to the proper spacing so the tire hits the bumpers when shut? Mine has 2 on the gate, 1 at the bottom on the body. I also don't need to slam it closed, do you?
excactly what is the proper spacing? The tire has wiggle because it rubber but not extreme movement or vibration when driving. Yes, I can see indentation into the tire where the rubber bumpers touch the tire itself.

I'm very careful shutting mine because it seems like the latch side of gate is not as up to the task as the exogate, and worried about your exact type of damage. That
Yes sounds right. Mine is pressing into the sidewall just a little bit, so there is almost zero tire movement. When it's shut, no movement at all. The lug actually tighten mine up to the bumpers for the last 1/8".
Heres my options. But another aftermarket gate and have it painted. Forbid anyone other than myself to open or close it. Or fab up 3/16 thick steel strip that goes from top to bottom an let my body man wield it on and repaint it. Along with a back up plate cut out on a water jet to weld to the inside of the gate for reinforcement.

Anyone else run across this type of problem with the rear gate and Exogate system?

I'd actually blame aftermarket parts before your wife. If the stamping process isn't right, it's easy to create brittle material that will Crack like that. Chinese body parts are notorious for fit and quality issues.

For anyone interested, JCR offroad makes a unique bumper/spare tire carrier that mounts to the tailgate. One motion to open everything, but all the weight is on the bumper. Spendy though, at over 700 bucks for the carrier, then you add the bumper!

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/SWBSC2.html

I've never, ever seen anything like this before, not once. That's so weird that it cracked like that. There's a ton of guys running the Exogate who have ever had issues, so I'm not sure why this happened to you.

I'm a little late to this discussion, but is that a 100% OE tailgate? Can you find the factory Jeep / Chrysler stampings on it anywhere?

That crack seems like it's from the tailgate hitting the body / striker improperly.

I've never, ever seen anything like this before, not once. That's so weird that it cracked like that. There's a ton of guys running the Exogate who have ever had issues, so I'm not sure why this happened to you.

I'm a little late to this discussion, but is that a 100% OE tailgate? Can you find the factory Jeep / Chrysler stampings on it anywhere?

That crack seems like it's from the tailgate hitting the body / striker improperly.
He stated that it is aftermarket. I'm hoping that is the problem as I recently installed the exogate

It lines up well with the body and striker. As I noted I did compare it to an OE and with a friends Jeep also. Yes it is an aftermarket gate. Have had zero problems closing it myself. It is heavy but putting your palm on the latch/ opener with a short push it closes. It was closed once with the spare tire and slammed. I've tried to find a spec report on an OE vs an aftermarket but no luck. Looking for Gage of metal or weight of gate to see if or how much difference there is in the two. Looking at an OE on computer with my body man it looks the excact same as aftermarket. There is no decription list, only part #s. I don't want to fork over 5 times the $ for it to be the same thing all over again. Another option is a used OE from eBay.

That looks like damage done via a slammed door to me. Jeeps are not like other cars, you never need to slam one, especially the doors when topless or the trunk, as torsion can occur if you do. Our passengers don't know this and treat them like other cars. I don't know what to do about it other than tell them nicely, "you don't have to slam it."

Do the latch and door still function correctly?

That looks like damage done via a slammed door to me. Jeeps are not like other cars, you never need to slam one, especially the doors when topless or the trunk, as torsion can occur if you do. Our passengers don't know this and treat them like other cars. I don't know what to do about it other than tell them nicely, "you don't have to slam it."

Do the latch and door still function correctly?
Yes the latch and gate for function properly. And I agree that passengers take no holds bared when slamming a door, rear gate etc. I explained how to properly close the gate when the Exogate was installed, that concluded with . Well now you can plainly see why you do not slam the gate or the doors. My object here is to try and find out if the OE gate is that much superior to an aftermarket gate. As I noted, I haven't had any issues with latching the rear gate. The only other solution is to forbid anyone else to open or close the gate. That sounds harsh but it is my Jeep and I do take care if it.

So with your experience I taking your opinion is that a genuine Chrysler OE gate is the only way to go and shouldn't have this problem.