TJ Glovebox Light Install

Maso

TJ Enthusiast
I had been looking around for a while for a light for my 2006 TJ's glovebox, without much luck.
So I thought it was time I did it myself. I sat in the Jeep for a long time going over different options, where to put the switch, what type of light to use, where it was going to go. That was the biggest problem, it had to actually throw light in the glovebox when it was opened. The only option I could see was right in front of the latch where the glovebox shuts. Next problem, wasn't a lot of room there. I eventually found a hard plastic LED strip on ebay for $1.00. The dimentions for the LED strip is 75mm x 13mm and 6mm thick, perfect size. The LED is held on by two small screws, they just screw into the plastic. Then I had to work out how to activate the light when the glovebox was opened. I ended up going for one of those aftermarket car door switches. It has a long black plunger on it and you just cut it to your desired length. I decided to use constant power which I took from the number 2 fuse in the fuse panel behind the glovebox. I used a mini fuse tap and a 3 amp fuse as that is the smallest I have. So, I have power going from the mini fuse tap to the positive wire on the light, then the negative wire from the light goes through another 3 amp fuse to the swtich. When the glovebox is opened the switch makes contact with ground and the light comes on.
My TJ is Right Hand Drive, if you are wondering about the photos.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg

Thanks for the comments, I'll let you know if I run into any issues, or make any changes in the near future.
One thing I did do. The LED came with thick double sided tape on it. I removed this as it made it just a bit too thick to install it where I placed it.
So I just used two small screws.

Can you give part numbers or source for them? Very nice install
These are the parts I Used.
The LED I used is this - 5050 SMD 3 LEDs Module LED Strip String Light Multi-Colors Waterproof DC 12V (From Ebay) You can see the dimensions of the LED in picture 5.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=371830454593
The Switch was from Jaycar (Electronics Store) - Door Switch with Metal Fascia - Cat no LE8777
I live in Australia so both of these items came from here. But they shouldn't be too hard to track down.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I had been looking around for a while for a light for my 2006 TJ's glovebox, without much luck.
So I thought it was time I did it myself. I sat in the Jeep for a long time going over different options, where to put the switch, what type of light to use, where it was going to go. That was the biggest problem, it had to actually throw light in the glovebox when it was opened. The only option I could see was right in front of the latch where the glovebox shuts. Next problem, wasn't a lot of room there. I eventually found a hard plastic LED strip on ebay for $1.00. The dimentions for the LED strip is 75mm x 13mm and 6mm thick, perfect size. The LED is held on by two small screws, they just screw into the plastic. Then I had to work out how to activate the light when the glovebox was opened. I ended up going for one of those aftermarket car door switches. It has a long black plunger on it and you just cut it to your desired length. I decided to use constant power which I took from the number 2 fuse in the fuse panel behind the glovebox. I used a mini fuse tap and a 3 amp fuse as that is the smallest I have. So, I have power going from the mini fuse tap to the positive wire on the light, then the negative wire from the light goes through another 3 amp fuse to the swtich. When the glovebox is opened the switch makes contact with ground and the light comes on.
My TJ is Right Hand Drive, if you are wondering about the photos.

View attachment 24184 View attachment 24185 View attachment 24186 View attachment 24187 View attachment 24188 View attachment 24189 View attachment 24190 View attachment 24191 View attachment 24192 View attachment 24193 View attachment 24194
This is really well done! This winter I will change all of the interior bulbs to LED's, or at least most of them. I will do this at the same time!

Reactions: Maso
Having a tough time finding the switch in the US, but I found the Australia site. Check to see if they will ship to the US first. but here is the link:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/door-switch-with-metal-fascia/p/LE8777

I can't seem to post a link to ebay for the lights. It just redirects to the home page.
but I found some in Cali that are close to the same thing and are the same part number.

Go to ebay and search:
5050 SMD 3 LEDs Module LED Strip String Light
scroll down till you see
Lot 100 20 LED Module 3 SMD 5050 Injection Cool/Wam White Waterproof Strip Light

Company is perfectdeal_us 13.99 for a lot of 20. I did find the same ones where you can buy them for 99 cents each but they are coming from China so it may or may not be worth the wait.

I personally don't mind a few on the shelf; I will put them to use elsewhere.

BTW since I saw this in the picture I ordered this too: (AUX fuse panel)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JPCZAQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Reactions: JP13
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.