TJ Shock & Spring Specification Resource Thread

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Below you'll find specifications for most of the known aftermarket shocks and springs for our TJs. This should be very helpful for people who are looking to put together a suspension system that works well together. Thanks to @jjvw, @Ronnie Salami, and @Fulton_Hogan for providing this info.

Attachments

• TJ Shock & Spring Specifications.xlsx
    25.2 KB · Views: 3,646
I love this place. I've spent the last 45 minutes fruitlessly scouring the internet to figure out if 285/75R16s will fit on a GMT800 Silverado 1500 without rubbing. It's literally the next available size up from what it came with, but there's nothing definitive whether trimming the front fascia or cranking the torsion bars will be needed for a 5/8" difference in tire radius. :mad:

Reactions: Chris
At this point I like to just consider myself the "curator" of TJ content. Not because I want it all to myself, just because I want it to be as widely available and easily accessible as possible (y)

This is a great resource to have that can always be added to or edited. It's important to have a shock and spring combination that work together well.

It's good to see this stuff finally posted for all to use. To the best of my knowledge, everything is accurate. Most came directly from the manufacturer's sites, catalogs, etc. Some is whatever I could scour from forums over several years.

If the spring rate is blank, that is likely because that info was not available. For example, Savvy does not release that information about their springs.

Here is a little lesson on how to use the free lengths and spring rates.

The rate is how much weight is required to compress the spring one inch.

The free length is the uncompressed length of the spring. There is no vehicle weight on it.

Ride height is the length of the spring with the vehicle's weight on it.

The solid height is when the spring is at full compression and is a solid mass. This is rarely a concern except for dumb spring designs like Metalcloak that require additional bump stop to prevent the springs from going solid.

The ride heights of the stock TJ are about 12" front and 8" rear. This is measuring from the top of the spring to the bottom of the spring. This measurement does not include the isolators or spring spacers.

Sprung weight is the weight of the vehicle being supported by the spring. This does not include the axles, tires, etc. Technically the sprung weight includes half the weight of the springs shocks, control arms, etc. But most of us don't need to get that detailed.

Let's say a front spring has a rate of 100lbs per inch and a free length of 25".

If the spring has a rate of 100lbs and the corner sprung weight of the vehicle compresses the spring 9". That means the corner weight of the vehicle is about 900lbs. And the ride height of the spring will be 16". And because we know a stock front TJ spring has a 12" ride height, we can figure out that this example spring provides a 4" lift over stock.

If your Jeep has one of the springs listed above, you can closely calculate the sprung weights of your Jeep and then you can use that calculated sprung weight to predict what another spring will do to your Jeep.

Last edited:
That's because they are Currie springs (y)
While made by Currie/RockJock, I believe they have a different length and rate than the non-Savvy springs. Someone find the info and then it can be added.

Reactions: Vasq
While made by Currie/RockJock, I believe they have a different length and rate than the non-Savvy springs. Someone find the info and then it can be added.

Interesting, I thought they were the exact same springs.

Would be interesting to get the numbers from someone who has them.

If someone has the measurements I'll be happy to add them.
They won't provide spring rates or measurements. Here's what I got from the latest set for free length:

H&R Front = 16 3/8"
H&R Rear = 12 5/8"

Reactions: Vasq
They won't provide spring rates or measurements. Here's what I got from the latest set for free length:

H&R Front = 16 3/8"
H&R Rear = 12 5/8"

Very cool, I'll update the original post.