Toughness personified

That is a crown stapler. ;) I'm familiar and we have all manner of them ranging from 1/4" all the way up to 1". That part is easy if I can get the plugs made.

Temporarily, I may have to make some 1/2" thick plywood ends to drop in on top of the metal caps. That will spread the load out to the rim and slow down the deformation some.
1/2 would eliminate deformation and your attachment would be the load bearer. with lumber costs what they are i'd test 1/4 as well. or tri-wall cardboard.

Last edited:
Hole saw and a 2 x 4...
The issue is not whether or not I can do it. The issue is how long it takes. I don't mind doing a few but I've shipped 30 tie rods and have far more to go. Even at 50 that is 100 ends in two different sizes and that's not gonna happen by me long term.

try the hex head 3/8-1/2 zip screws, just mind your fingers when handling, use a boxed end wrench to apply pressure from the ID while you run them in or risk a finger poke , but they are cheap and fast.

I've been testing that. I used some of my expensive rivets on a few and ordered in some cheaper ones to see how they will do. If I can get the load spread out over a larger area, it seems like it will work other than the additional time it takes. View attachment 312433

I do have to wonder if you didn't recognize the Milwaukee rivet gun in the other pics though. ;)
I did not notice the rivet gun, when I went back to the picture I see it now. I thought of running some self tapping screws through the end caps but then you would have sharp points exposed. I figured to fix it use rivets. I see you were already working on that.

I'm on the hunt and have been for that stapler. There are several versions of anvil staplers out there but they don't tell me what they will punch a staple through.

This is roughly what I'm looking for.

https://www.nailgundepot.com/senco-dfpxp-20-gauge-clinch-stapler-details.html
Oddly or perhaps not if you know me, we do not have any beer cans in aluminum here, nor do we have any other aluminum beverage cans to cut up. I may be able to find one or two cans of root beer long expired to use but that doesn't solve my problem long term.

I suppose that stapler would probably be a major investment. The PBR crack was just a smart assed comment based on hosejockey's photo.
To tell the truth, I think the wood end caps is probably the best long-term solution.

Hey Blaine, when's the chromo drag link coming out? My stock one didn't spring back too well...

IMG_20220301_111021401_HDR.jpg

Last edited: