Underhood light install

Vtx531

TJ Addict
I ordered a Mopar underhood light for about $20 and it came in the mail today. My Jeep didn’t come with one but it does has the connector. One of the few unused connectors on a 2002. At that time, Jeep had many differen’t wiring harnesses depending on what options you ordered.

Install was EASY! One screw (#10 x 3/4”) and I plugged it in. Just a little tricky figuring out how it went on. The mounting tab bends back so the light sits on top of it. You almost have to install it backwards at first.

DD163804-8971-4432-9F0B-850137F51645.jpeg

718486A6-9747-4E90-A1F5-02DE623C9419.jpeg

Since you brought this up, I've been trying to figure out where the sensor is that turns the light on off (other than the aforementioned accelerator trigger). The light goes off with the hood about 80% closed, but I can't see anything that makes it happen, unless it's the photoelectric effect.

Since you brought this up, I've been trying to figure out where the sensor is that turns the light on off (other than the aforementioned accelerator trigger). The light goes off with the hood about 80% closed, but I can't see anything that makes it happen, unless it's the photoelectric effect.
I didn’t look very closely but it felt like there was some type of a hinged or swinging contact switch that I could feel moving around.

Reactions: LJBean
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I haven't been able to find a 2 sided led yet, the standard ones only light up one side but they're still a lot brighter than the O.E. bulb

I took two and installed them back to back so the LEDs side shine out to each side. For extra measure, I used a strand of copper wire to tie them together and to the mounting hook.

Very bright.

I took two and installed them back to back so the LEDs side shine out to each side. For extra measure, I used a strand of copper wire to tie them together and to the mounting hook.

Very bright.
Tried that, they kept popping out of the retainers, I'll have to give it another go when I have more time