Updating (backdating?) the TJ grille

i want that safari top ...
You can't have my homemade Safari Cab but after I made mine Gr8Tops licensed the design from me and they manufacture and sell them. They sell both LJ and TJ versions, here's thir LJ version: https://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/lj-safari-cab-full-hardtop

Unfortunately they never implemented the removable sides/soft sides that mine has so you'll have to settle for just the hard sides.

SidesRolled2_zps9eoi4jgp.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I see now that the slots are a little wider and extend all the way out to the headlights. The differences are extremely subtle. You do very good work but I don't see the differences enough to warrant that kind of effort. The biggest difference to me was the addition of the turn signals, which would be a quick simple mod.

Reactions: lowranger
You can't have my homemade Safari Cab but after I made mine Gr8Tops licensed the design from me and they manufacture and sell them. They sell both LJ and TJ versions, here's thir LJ version: https://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/lj-safari-cab-full-hardtop

Unfortunately they never implemented the removable sides/sift sides that mine has so you'll have to settle for just the hard sides.

View attachment 141451
That's amazing and now I see how these things can really benefit you. Good job brother!

Ok I see now that the slots are a little wider and extend all the way out to the headlights. The differences are extremely subtle. You do very good work but I don't see the differences enough to warrant that kind of effort. The biggest difference to me was the addition of the turn signals, which would be a quick simple mod.
It's supposed to be subtle - the goal was for the new grille to look like it came from the factory, but as an updated version of the original grille. So no angry bird eyes or other strange features, just a factory-looking modernized grille to evoke memories of the CJ grille and reflect the the newer JL grille design. And since the TJ was the only open Jeep since the 40's not to have turn signals in the grille (MB, CJ2/3, CJ5/7/8, YJ, JK, JL all had turn signals in the grille, only the TJ didn't), of course I made the mold so grilles could be made with no turn signals or my choice of turn signals.

As for the differences warranting the effort required, the end result was totally worth it to me. And since I now have the mold, making more of these grilles takes less then $25 in materials and a little bit of time to lay up the fiberglass.

Speaking of turn signals, I'm thinking of molding a second grille, this time I'd set up the mold to support factory JK turn signals.

It's supposed to be subtle - the goal was for the new grille to look like it came from the factory, but as an updated version of the original grille. So no angry bird eyes or other strange features, just a factory-looking modernized grille to evoke memories of the CJ grille and reflect the the newer JL grille design. And since the TJ was the only open Jeep since the 40's not to have turn signals in the grille (MB, CJ2/3, CJ5/7/8, YJ, JK, JL all had turn signals in the grille, only the TJ didn't), of course I made the mold so grilles could be made with no turn signals or my choice of turn signals.

As for the differences warranting the effort required, the end result was totally worth it to me. And since I now have the mold, making more of these grilles takes less then $25 in materials and a little bit of time to lay up the fiberglass.

Speaking of turn signals, I'm thinking of molding a second grille, this time I'd set up the mold to support factory JK turn signals.
I'm just giving some honest feedback and certainly hope you don't feel like I'm disrespecting you or your efforts. I just didn't feel the differences were very noticeable other than the addition of the lights which could be easily added by anyone for a minimal cost/effort.
But it's great having guys like you out there trying to create something new and different.

I'm just giving some honest feedback and certainly hope you don't feel like I'm disrespecting you or your efforts. I just didn't feel the differences were very noticeable other than the addition of the lights which could be easily added by anyone for a minimal cost/effort.
But it's great having guys like you out there trying to create something new and different.
No problem I understand that not everyone appreciates all of the things I do. Appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:
Searching Craigslist this morning for grilles as candidates for installing a second grille overlay on, I found this complete tan one. Also found another one that's less expensive than this one so I emailed the seller of the less expensive one to see if it's still available and complete, it's listed for $50 but there was no photo.

The photo of the tan one from the CL listing seemed like a good one to do a comparison with a photo of the new grille..

GrilleCompare1_zpsrxpwrfkc.jpg

I installed the grille on my pickup today - digitally :). I'm in Florida visiting mom; I drove the pickup here from NY and I washed the northern road salt off it today so I took a photo for a digital installation. I edited one of the photos of the grille sitting on the workbench I posted the other day onto the photo of the Jeep I took this afternoon. On the left is the untouched photo, on the right the new grille is installed. Also blanked out the turn signals in the fenders:

DigitalInstall_zpsqr4rcp0m.jpg

A comparison showing what it would look like if I didn't blank out the fender turn signals:

DigitalInstall2_zpsc8uvfejx.jpg

Still haven't decided if I'm going to actually install the new grille on the Jeep. I'll look at the digital installation photos for a while before I decide.

I installed the grille on my pickup today - digitally :). I'm in Florida visiting mom; I drove the pickup here from NY and I washed the northern road salt off it today so I took a photo for a digital installation. I edited one of the photos of the grille sitting on the workbench I posted the other day onto the photo of the Jeep I took this afternoon. On the left is the untouched photo, on the right the new grille is installed. Also blanked out the turn signals in the fenders:

View attachment 141737

A comparison showing what it would look like if I didn't blank out the fender turn signals:

View attachment 141738

Still haven't decided if I'm going to actually install the new grille on the Jeep. I'll look at the digital installation photos for a while before I decide.
Looks great with the fender lights blanked out. It'd be interesting to see what Willy's fenders would do to the look.

Reactions: Tob and bedhed

View attachment 141737

View attachment 141738

You should do it without the fog lights

Looks great with the fender lights blanked out. It'd be interesting to see what Willy's fenders would do to the look.
I've still got all the parts in these photos so maybe when I get back from Florida I'll bolt it all together to see what the grille looks like with the Willys MB-style flat fenders...

Fenders3_zps4d4c74ff.jpg

The orange grille in the photos above is the one I installed the new grille overlay on BTW.

If this went into production, I would seriously consider it for mine.

I went to a pick and pull yesterday to grab a couple of items. There was a great condition grille there, and I thought hard about getting it (hoping Jeff's new overlay goes to production).

I’m curious as to what it would look like with the JL grill slots and headlights but maintained the TJ turns in the fender...

What an amazing build. Awesome work sir.

Wish to God I had half your talent. Would definitely find some way to produce and sell your artwork. Its really amazing how it can freshen up the whole look of the Jeep. I still think the CJ7 front clip is the best looking front end Jeep has ever put on a vehicle.