bmullinax

I am looking to upgrade from my 32” tires to 35” or 37”. My TJ has 3.07 gears so I would like to upgrade to a dana 40 front end and dana 60 rear end. I know I want a currie suspension lift, but what height would y’all recommend for 37s? I will be ordering the parts and doing everything myself so any advice you have will be helpful! Is there anything else I should do/get in order to upgrade to 35s or 37s?

If you're thinking of a used TJ Rubicon's Dana 44 for up front, be aware those are not up to 37" tires. Not to mention a SWB TJ like you have doesn't really have the wheelbase for 37's.

I am looking to upgrade from my 32” tires to 35” or 37”. My TJ has 3.07 gears so I would like to upgrade to a dana 40 front end and dana 60 rear end. I know I want a currie suspension lift, but what height would y’all recommend for 37s? I will be ordering the parts and doing everything myself so any advice you have will be helpful! Is there anything else I should do/get in order to upgrade to 35s or 37s?
3.07’s and your factory axles will be fine. You just wont use OD or 5th gear very much....

On a real note, I suggest a lot more reading.

I’m not allowed to talk about how me and some friends of mine have been running 37’s on Dana 44’s and stock wheelbase for over 12 years
You're right, that combination will last a long time... if you don't do trails tough enough to actually require 37's to get through. The TJ Dana 44's ball joints, which are the same as used by the Dana 30, just aren't up to that size tire if you're doing trails that are legitimately tough enough to warrant 37's.

37s don't belong on your TJ unless you're stretching the wheelbase, installing wider axles, etc.

If you want to run 37s and do it right, you'll be spending 30k or more pretty easily, no kidding.

With the stock wheelbase, a 35" is really the largest tire that belongs on a TJ. I'd re-think your plans unless you have very deep pockets.

If you want to run 35s, you can do that with a Dana 30 and Dana 35 stock axle as long as you build them.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
You're right, that combination will last a long time... if you don't do trails tough enough to actually require 37's to get through. The TJ Dana 44's ball joints, which are the same as used by the Dana 30, just aren't up to that size tire if you're doing trails that are legitimately tough enough to warrant 37's.
I already there’s nothing I could say to you that would sway your OPINION , and I don’t feel like reading another rant on how you wheel Johnson Valley. So I’ll just say “Sure thing boss”

I already there’s nothing I could say to you that would sway your OPINION , and I don’t feel like reading another rant on how you wheel Johnson Valley. So I’ll just say “Sure thing boss”

honestly man as someone who hopped into the whole jeep thing wanting 37's just to one up his buddies before doing a ton of research, after legitimate years of research now i fully trust @Jerry Bransford and his "opinions" or as most would say his knowledge as far as the TJ platform goes. If you browse enough forums or tech articles you will see the truth in his methods as much as i am disappointed to say it. (i still want 37's even though is isnt feasible)

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
I’m on 37s but I also have a stretched wheelbase and have aftermarket axles housings 5.13 gears and an atlas 4 speed tcase.

441DE865-24FF-4B71-94A9-A70A675F7473.jpeg

It’s wise to think 35’s as a max tire size for 99.5% of TJ builds. Every increase in tire size comes with extra modifications that should be made to accommodate. It can get expensive. That may not be an issue for you, but yes, going from 32’s to 35’s will require more.

Aftermarket CA’s front and rear
4” SL and 1.25” BL
Appropriate shocks
SYE and DC
Aftermarket Spare Tire Carrier
Currie Currectylink Steering
Dana 30/Dana 44 with Chromoly Shafts
Currie Anti-Rock
Re-gear
Big Brake kit (Edit)

You’ll probably want a lot of other stuff too, like lockers, under armor, possible tummy tuck, et. Al. The list goes on.

Last edited:
I’m not allowed to talk about how me and some friends of mine have been running 37’s on Dana 44’s and stock wheelbase for over 12 years

It all depends on what you want out of the build. There are advantage and concessions to each element. On stock axles, it is difficult to argue against 35s having the best compromises in clearance and wheel travel.

To answer your question...

Upgrade to 35's if those are your two options.

My tj only has 3 gears and doesnt have over drive

I have the 3 speed auto (32RH) transmission as you do and am on 35's with 3.07. It's not powerful but still a lot more power than a stock SE model. Ran it like this for 4 years ~ 10,000 miles and so far no issues. Our trails are fairly moderate that I run. I would not want anything more than 35's. It looks huge beside my buddies TJ's on 33's. I have a Dana 44 in the garage and plan to regear to 4.56 eventually. Big Brake kit and steering upgrades are on the list as well. 90% of what my TJ does is joy riding on the pavement or light off road trails and it is still very capable. I personally do not regret 35's for me. If I was to daily my rig, I would be backing down to 32's or 33's.

Not sure what your intentions/uses are but hopefully this helps.