What are the real variables that control and influence ride quality?

Shocks are number 1, but if you’re looking for cumulative effects.

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet @Irun, but I think sidewall height can contribute to a wallowy feel. I’m more convinced that a 15-16” wheel works well up to a 33” tire, but once you go to a 35” tire you’re better off going to a 17” wheel to minimize the height of the sidewall and mitigate the squishy, wallowy roll onroad. This would fit under “quality.”

I’m not sure how much difference there is between load E vs C on ride quality, but I would always opt for a load C if possible.

Your wife seemed to know what to do with it.
lines, man. kick all the dirt you want but mind the line.
I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet @Irun, but I think sidewall height can contribute to a wallowy feel. I’m more convinced that a 15-16” wheel works well up to a 33” tire, but once you go to a 35” tire you’re better off going to a 17” wheel to minimize the height of the sidewall and mitigate the squishy, wallowy roll onroad. This would fit under “quality.”

I’m not sure how much difference there is between load E vs C on ride quality, but I would always opt for a load C if possible.
i think it's more about tire pressure E's tend to run/recommend/hold higher psi than C's, and we know how wheel psi effects the ride. if your runnin recommended road psi and they feel balloony, your on the heavy side and ready for D's, no? if your runnin 10# under and they feel mushy then that's our fault. they are gonna add just enough "more tire" to control the extra pressure limits and that's the debatable influence part of all this

when you get into heavy carcass tires things might change a bit more due to tire construction but i'm just guessin from limited observations.

You don't believe me. Have you ever drifted your TJ around a corner?

My bilsteins are quite firm and fell like I could just fine, but at 7" lift my brain says not to. Did that plenty in my XJ as it was lower and handled quite well. Just 'cause it can bomb it through corners doesn't mean it "handles like a sports car."

I've had pickup drivers tell me how much better their truck corners after putting a lift on. I think people often confuse a stiff-feeling suspension with good handling.

Yes a jeep can be set up to handle well on smooth roads, but there's more to handling than pulling off a drift without flipping. You can do that with an empty uhaul truck too.

AIring down helps tremendously on dirt roads, but it still doesn't ride like a Cadillac.

My bilsteins are quite firm and fell like I could just fine, but at 7" lift my brain says not to. Did that plenty in my XJ as it was lower and handled quite well. Just 'cause it can bomb it through corners doesn't mean it "handles like a sports car."

I've had pickup drivers tell me how much better their truck corners after putting a lift on. I think people often confuse a stiff-feeling suspension with good handling.

Yes a jeep can be set up to handle well on smooth roads, but there's more to handling than pulling off a drift without flipping. You can do that with an empty uhaul truck too.

AIring down helps tremendously on dirt roads, but it still doesn't ride like a Cadillac.
You're right. My TJ will never match to your McLaren. I'll stop trying to compare our rigs.

The beauty of the photo that @jjvw posted is that you *CAN* make a jeep articulate like that on trails, and still have zero compromises when it comes to driving on the road (paved or unpaved) with absolutely great ride quality - smooth, predictable and controlled behavior from the suspension and shocks, with no harshness driving over uneven, bumpy terrain. It can be made *so good* that you can drift it it, intentionally, at speed, whenever you want with no fear whatsoever of flipping the vehicle (like you would do with a miata around a corner if the mood strikes). This assumes you know how to drive, of course.

I have ridden passenger in a Blaine built vehicle and it was an enlightening experience. @jjvw's is set up and behaves similar.

I feel folks are just arguing to argue and contradict ..

I had a TJ years ago that I installed a 4” long arm rock ready lift on it and it drove amazing. I find myself trying to get that same ride quality in every Jeep I buy. I know jeeps can handle great on road, that’s why I’ll never give up on my new one in the quest for great handling. Shocks and new PSC gear box are next on my list. The P.O. had a lot of unnecessary junk that I have removed or fixed that have greatly improved ride quality. New track bar and removed dpa, he had 30psi in the 35” mtr’s , added a muffler he took off and rebuilt front driveshaft. All haves improved the quality. A lot has to do with what people start with that someone else done.

Reactions: Irun
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...and-influence-ride-quality.62037/post-1117332
And this is exactly why I want to put the good information up front. People start reading through some of this nonsense and lose interest in learning. For others, please keep contributing. I'm confident there is value in the goal of the thread. Part of the journey may be sh**, but the destination is worth getting to!
There are several good discussions that could be had about various things, unfortunately they would all devolve into shit slinging matches simply due to folks being unable to accept that they may not know as much as they think they do.

Want to see how fast that will happen as a purely social experiment? Start a thread discussing the traction differences between an auto and a manual trans and how that really works. I predict that it won't make 1.5 pages before the manual folks shit it all up.

I think some people may be taking @jjvw analogy too literally. Making an argument out of nothing. He is trying to highlight the benefit of a well set up system of components that can create a well handling tj/lj.

With that said it would be cool to see @jjvw post a video of his tj at the track or an autocross event here soon. 😆

I think some people may be taking @jjvw analogy too literally. Making an argument out of nothing. He is trying to highlight the benefit of a well set up system of components that can create a well handling tj/lj.

With that said it would be cool to see @jjvw post a video of his tj at the track or an autocross event here soon. 😆

Driving on the big hwys where he lives is autocross by default :ROFLMAO:

lines, man. kick all the dirt you want but mind the line.

i think it's more about tire pressure E's tend to run/recommend/hold higher psi than C's, and we know how wheel psi effects the ride. if your runnin recommended road psi and they feel balloony, your on the heavy side and ready for D's, no? if your runnin 10# under and they feel mushy then that's our fault. they are gonna add just enough "more tire" to control the extra pressure limits and that's the debatable influence part of all this

when you get into heavy carcass tires things might change a bit more due to tire construction but i'm just guessin from limited observations.
Barring tire pressure, where I've seen issues with E tires is when they are on the heavy side, increasing unsprung weight. I really felt it when I went to a heavier E tire. That was amplified even more with bead lock wheels. With a max gear of 5.13 on the Dana 30, and 5.38 with the 44, us poor owners of 42RLE propelled Wranglers feel the impact!

Same question. Have you driven a TJ with well tuned shocks with DSC reservoirs? Do you know how they work with the high and low speed adjusters? The low speed can be used to dial out 98% of body roll. If you set it up nicely, you can crank the high speed in until you have firmer than most sport car shocks. Whip that around a corner and the result is more than a bit enlightening.

We entertained the idea of taking it to a track out here with a lot of elevation changes. Unfortunately, vehicles with increased ride height are not allowed on the track. It's a shame, because I think me following a pack of Miatas would be a whole bunch of fun!

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr and Irun
We entertained the idea of taking it to a track out here with a lot of elevation changes. Unfortunately, vehicles with increased ride height are not allowed on the track. It's a shame, because I think me following a pack of Miatas would be a whole bunch of fun!
they do a rough truck contest at the local fairs......i tell my girl i'm pretty sure i could outrun all them beaters, but IDK if it's worth the risk for a budweiser and a blue ribbon.
the local 4x4 playground runs an ironman competition, but i'm not that level yet, though i'd love to try it.