What are the real variables that control and influence ride quality?

I suspect that instead of oversteer increases, what you are dealing with is the loss of understeer brought about by muscle memory. Folks by and large don't like to lean over in a vehicle. That leads to lots of automatic steering done subconsciously when navigating mild turns and tilted road bed imperfections.

One of the bigger challenges I run into when I fix steering for folks and get it all tuned up to get rid of all the play is they now bitch that it is too twitchy. That twitchy word is used by a very large number of them, so it isn't something I came up with.

What happens is they have learned to deal with the slop in the steering with subconscious learned responses to road condition and constant corrections. When they get no slop steering, they subconsciously see the road conditions and perform the same corrections and now the rig moves around in the lane instead of staying mostly straight like the previous handling needs dictated. Then I get the complaint. I have to teach them to just drive with a steady smooth hand on the steering wheel, move their focus out much further in front of the rig instead of the 20 foot window they were using and then it all starts to get better.
That makes sense an could be what Iam interpreting as a slight increase in perceived oversteer. I can definitely pitch it in corners with more confidence and more speed now. It's a good thing not a bad thing. Front just feels more planted and responsive with the swayloc on street mode.

In my best racecar driver voice I am relaying information as a driver to the engineer as best I can 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Irun
And what is a reasonable travel? Factory is around 7.5" I believe. I know you do a 4" lift with 12" shocks for a reason, but is there any "in between" for those that don't want do a 4" lift?
You have to give a shock time to do its work. The more time it has to do that, the less damping it needs to accomplish that task. The goal is to slow down the axle movement at a rate that doesn't let it slam into the travel limits while at the same time using the least amount of damping needed.

The more travel or time it has, the softer the shock can be.

But, I suspect with enough effort, you can tune a shorter shock and get good results out of it, that just won't be as easy with more travel.

What sports cars have you driven? I don’t care how well setup your Jeep is, it’s not handling like my M3.
Is that the claim I made? That I can keep up with your M3?

I make the claim that a TJ can be built in such a way that it can be tossed around and handle in ways most would never expect. Then guys like you show up and want to compare it to a Ferrari.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bigmac and rasband
What sports cars have you driven? I don’t care how well setup your Jeep is, it’s not handling like my M3.
Let me ask the question a different way so we can all put our dicks away. Have you been in a TJ that you could throw into a turn with the intention of drifting it around the corner?

Reactions: jjvw
Let me ask the question a different way so we can all put our dicks away. Have you been in a TJ that you could throw into a turn with the intention of drifting it around the corner?
No, but tell me what it is like oh wise one.

You assholes that think @jjvw wants to race your "sports cars" in his TJ need to give it a rest. I don't think anyone is saying that the limits of performance between the TJ and a low slung, wide tired, on-road performance oriented machine are the same (as much as you want them to, so you can argue).

What is being stated is that a TJ, when properly set up, can be predictable and confidence inspiring at the limits of traction. The fact that it will drift before rolling is not something to be scoffed at. That is where the comparison to a sports car comes in, because, if its done properly, that same confidence at the traction limit exists.

giphy (3).gif

Your wife seemed to know what to do with it.
@TRE3TOP, this is supposed to be a learning environment and we can disagree, but when you bring someone's wife into the conversation, any logic, reason or thought process you've had or think you have goes right out the window...

@TRE3TOP, this is supposed to be a learning environment and we can disagree, but when you bring someone's wife into the conversation, any logic, reason or thought process you've had or think you have goes right out the window...
He had me on ignore for several months until recently. Is he really this much of an asshole?

Reactions: TheBoogieman