What did you do to your TJ today?

IMG-0104.jpg

I just removed a matching one of these from my LJ if you're looking to put together a breeding pair...

Wow, you must be stupid, too....I was told by a senior member here that it would be "stupid to try" replacing my own windshield and I should seek a professional with an installation warranty... :D

I need some with dropping the skid plate. This is an 00 Wrangler with an auto transmission.

I've removed the 4 nuts that are holding the transmission to the skid plate. I thought that was enough to disconnect the trans from the skid plate. I am using a floor jack to lift up the bell housing of the transmission. I am expecting the trans to separate a bit from the skid plate, but they seem firmly attached still.

Is there anything else that I need to disconnect so that the auto trans and the skid plate are no longer attached?

I need some with dropping the skid plate. This is an 00 Wrangler with an auto transmission.

I've removed the 4 nuts that are holding the transmission to the skid plate. I thought that was enough to disconnect the trans from the skid plate. I am using a floor jack to lift up the bell housing of the transmission. I am expecting the trans to separate a bit from the skid plate, but they seem firmly attached still.

Is there anything else that I need to disconnect so that the auto trans and the skid plate are no longer attached?

Now you need to lower the skid plate to access the transmission … the easiest way I’ve found is to take 5 of the skid bolts out of the skid plate but leave one in and rotate the skid out of the way… be sure and keep your jack under your bell housing…

Reactions: JasterMereel42
Now you need to lower the skid plate to access the transmission … the easiest way I’ve found is to take 5 of the skid bolts out of the skid plate but leave one in and rotate the skid out of the way… be sure and keep your jack under your bell housing…

I got the skid plate off. I used my floor jack to lift up the entire Jeep by the skid plate. I put a jack stand under the bell housing of the trans. Once I removed the 6 big bolts on the sides and lowered the floor jack, gravity helped to remove the skid plate from the trans mount.

I'm soaking the skid plate in brake cleaner now. I'm also going to drain and refill the transfer case fluid. I've already removed the fill plug so I know that I can add fluid back into it. I'm also going to remove the auto trans oil pan and clean all that up. The new deep trans oil pan should be here tomorrow.

Reactions: Zorba and 97JadeTJ
While I have the skid plate off, is there anything else I should be doing maintenance or inspection wise besides changing the transfer case fluid and changing the AT fluid?

The old AT oil pan cork gasket seems to be absolutely adhered to the housing. Any tips on how to break the seal so that I can remove the old AT pan? I've tried a screw driver and a small pry bar and neither is working, but I haven't really pushed that hard either. And yes, all the bolts have been removed except for 2 that are very loose to prevent the pan from suddenly dropping.

While I have the skid plate off, is there anything else I should be doing maintenance or inspection wise besides changing the transfer case fluid and changing the AT fluid?

Check the condition of the rubber transmission mount. Inspect the frame where the skid plate attaches, remove any rust/scale and repaint. Good time to install a t case shifter cable if you still have the original z gate shift mechanism that was OEM. Coat the skid plate bolt threads with antisieze before you reinstall. Consider placing a thin washer on those same bolts, between the skid plate and frame, to leave a tiny gap there to flush out crud that likes to live between them.

The old AT oil pan cork gasket seems to be absolutely adhered to the housing. Any tips on how to break the seal so that I can remove the old AT pan? I've tried a screw driver and a small pry bar and neither is working, but I haven't really pushed that hard either. And yes, all the bolts have been removed except for 2 that are very loose to prevent the pan from suddenly dropping.

Try something with a thin wider blade such as a paint scraper, hit it with a rubber mallet.

Reactions: JasterMereel42
I got the transfer case fluid changed out and ready to go. I have the old trans oil pan removed, including the cork gasket on the housing. Now, I'm just waiting for the deep trans oil pain to arrive tomorrow so that I can install it.

I also have the skid plate pretty thoroughly cleaned. You can't eat off it, but it is damn clean compared to what it was before.

Also, transmission fluid is super slick and it gets everywhere!

Reactions: John Cooper
1. If I leave the bottom of the transmission exposed without the oil pan attached for about 1-2 days, will that be OK?

2. Any tips on how to get the cork gasket off the old oil trans pan? I am getting a new, deep pan, but I want to keep the old one around just in case.

1. If I leave the bottom of the transmission exposed without the oil pan attached for about 1-2 days, will that be OK?

2. Any tips on how to get the cork gasket off the old oil trans pan? I am getting a new, deep pan, but I want to keep the old one around just in case.

if it were me, and it was gonna be a couple of days, I’d probably put it back up with a couple of bolts, mainly to keep it from dripping all over the driveway and the best way I’ve found to get the gaskets off it with a razor blade and dont nick the surface…

if it were me, and it was gonna be a couple of days, I’d probably put it back up with a couple of bolts, mainly to keep it from dripping all over the driveway and the best way I’ve found to get the gaskets off it with a razor blade and dont nick the surface…

My garage floor is epoxied so I don't have to worry too much about dripping and staining the concrete.

Reactions: 97JadeTJ
Check the condition of the rubber transmission mount. Inspect the frame where the skid plate attaches, remove any rust/scale and repaint. Good time to install a t case shifter cable if you still have the original z gate shift mechanism that was OEM. Coat the skid plate bolt threads with antisieze before you reinstall. Consider placing a thin washer on those same bolts, between the skid plate and frame, to leave a tiny gap there to flush out crud that likes to live between them.

1. Rubber transmission mount looks good

2. Surprisingly, there is no rust/scale

3. What's the benefit of a new transfer case shifter cable?

4. Will do about the anti sieze

5. I might do this