What did you do to your TJ today?

Added another tj to the stable. 03 Sahara, 89k miles, no rust, 4.0 auto.

20240622_192731_remastered.jpg

20240624_102105.jpg

Yesterday, I finally replaced the driver's seat foam. I used this YT video from BFH Garage: BFH Garage: Foam Replacement. I picked up a cheap pair of hog ring pliers from Harbor Freight, and I ordered some galvanized hog rings from Amazon (the foam from Summit comes with hog rings). This was surprisingly easy, and horribly messy. When I finished, I had to readjust my mirrors and I can't easily see stoplights now-I'm probably sitting 2" higher.

Palindrome Miles from 18 June '24:
Miles.jpg

Seat removed and on my "workbench"-appropriate for this job, I assure you.
Seatbefore.jpg

Recycleworkbench.jpg

Original Sahara seat cover in tough condition. Aftermarket covers have been in use for a few years.
wornoutoriginalcovers.jpg

Cut the hog rings-a good sharp pair of cutters is a necessity. On this part, I missed three, so do a better job than I.
Hogrings.jpg

Messy job. Be prepared for a cloud of this stuff-I should have had my shop-vac ready.
Detritus.jpg

Riding on the seat rail-good lord.
Deterioration.jpg

Grim.
Foamremoved.jpg

Removed.jpg

26yearoldfoam.jpg

Summit Racing:
Mighty Mouse.png

SummitFoam.jpg

Newfoamwithliner.jpg

Hogringbar.jpg

Newfoaminstalled.jpg

Removed.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday, I finally replaced the driver's seat foam. I used this YT video from BFH Garage: BFH Garage: Foam Replacement. I picked up a cheap pair of hog ring pliers from Harbor Freight, and I ordered some galvanized hog rings from Amazon (the foam from Summit comes with hog rings). This was surprisingly easy, and horribly messy. When I finished, I had to readjust my mirrors and I can't easily see stoplights now-I'm probably sitting 2" higher.

View attachment 537498

View attachment 537501
View attachment 537502

Original Sahara seat cover in tough condition. Aftermarket covers have been in use for a few years.
View attachment 537503

Cut the hog rings-a good sharp pair of cutters is a necessity. On this part, I missed three, so do a better job than I.
View attachment 537504

Messy job. Be prepared for a cloud of this stuff-I should have had my shop-vac ready.
View attachment 537505

View attachment 537507

Grim.
View attachment 537509
View attachment 537510
View attachment 537511

Summit Racing: "Here I am to save the day!"
View attachment 537512
View attachment 537513
View attachment 537515
View attachment 537516

View attachment 537508

Great job! What time should I drop off my driver's seat to you?
p.s. You're supposed to post a finished pic. If @Irun is your neighbor, get him to paint underneath my Jeep while you're doing my seat cover. 🥳

Great job! What time should I drop off my driver's seat to you?
p.s. You're supposed to post a finished pic. If @Irun is your neighbor, get him to paint underneath my Jeep while you're doing my seat cover. 🥳

Sure, drop it off anytime :ROFLMAO: I didn't think a finished pic would be of much value. I will say that this foam is much more firm while being less breathable than the original foam.

Haha I have the exact same workbench, same trash company and everything. My wife always gets on to me when she sees me doing it. “don’t get the trash cans, all dirty“. WTF? They are trash cans, wouldn’t want the trash man to be offended by our dirty cans. Our trash man‘s a great guy, I was wrenching on the Jeep last week when he came by and he stopped and talked to me for 20 minutes about it. But I don’t think he cares how clean our trash cans are.

That is pretty. Jeeps here have more rust on them brand new in the dealer lot.

I was very lucky. Cars here in Virginia are also rust prone. This one was born and raised near the coastline with no snow or salt on the roads AND, it was garaged! . The PO bought it and brought it here near Waynesboro. His wife didn't like getting in and out of the Jeep so after about 5 months he's trying to sell it. I was going to town and saw the for sale sign. Decided to take a closer look and was impressed with condition. Bought it the next day! He had six calls before and after i bought it, including a dealer! Gotta move fast on a clean tj around here. Carfax was clean.

View attachment 537498

View attachment 537501
View attachment 537502

View attachment 537503

View attachment 537504

View attachment 537505

View attachment 537507

Grim.
View attachment 537509
View attachment 537510
View attachment 537511

Summit Racing: "Here I am to save the day!"
View attachment 537512
View attachment 537513
View attachment 537515
View attachment 537516

View attachment 537508

323,323 miles? You the man! 👏

• Haha
Reactions: glowell222
Haha I have the exact same workbench, same trash company and everything. My wife always gets on to me when she sees me doing it. “don’t get the trash cans, all dirty“. WTF? They are trash cans, wouldn’t want the trash man to be offended by our dirty cans. Our trash man‘s a great guy, I was wrenching on the Jeep last week when he came by and he stopped and talked to me for 20 minutes about it. But I don’t think he cares how clean our trash cans are.

Our collection guys don't even touch our trash cans-the truck does it all. I like this two-can workbench approach for light work-it's mobile, at a good height, and somewhat light. A bit unstable, though.

Our collection guys don't even touch our trash cans-the truck does it all. I like this two-can workbench approach for light work-it's mobile, at a good height, and somewhat light. A bit unstable, though.

Same when we lived in Texas. Here, in rural Virginia mountains we load and haul the trash to dump site about 10 miles out.