What did you do to your TJ today?

Turns out I'm a dumbass lol. Installed new double din radio, sweet! Bought the metra faceplate for 03-06 even though I have a 99 because I converted the lower panel, easy I thought. Turns out lots of stuff is different so I can't use the radio mount plates, need AC control spacers, all kinds of stuff that only comes in the 97-02 kits. On a side note, if anyone needs 03-06 stuff hit me up 😂😂

You know... shit happens.

Slapped in a Powertrax No-Slip "drop in" locker.....

It was anything but "drop in" but with cold beer and some pizza we made it happen. Instruction book was for a Dana 30 rear so that made it interesting trying to guess what we were missing.

I haven't really had the chance to really test it out yet in some loose gravel/sand or how it behaves in a tight and twisty trail.
Definitely wasn't excited about pulling the carrier to get this thing installed but that's the way she goes sometimes.

It seems to be OK on the street, near silent when turning to the left but clunks a bit turning right. Not really happy with the final fitment of the new part despite having installed it just like the install manual explained. Both outer pieces shown in the image below seemed to have a bit more play than expected despite being installed correctly so that may be why.

Never got a picture of the locker once it was in unfortunately, summer heat and greasy hands was the cause🥵🥵

image0locker.jpeg

image1locker.jpeg

1692358760150.png

Loaded it up last night for a quick overnight camping trip. Gonna take my future son in law hiking. I remembered to adjust the rear shocks so I could gauge the ride on my way to work. These shocks are awesome. They handle this extra weight like a boss. It'll be cool to see how they do off road this afternoon.

Camp Prep.jpg

Got any tips for this job? I have the parts to do it but haven't had the motivation to get it started yet.

The plastic is most likely brittle and there is a good chance it will crack into the top of the engine if you try and remove with the valve cover on.

Pull the valve cover so you can push them out ( or pick up the shattered pieces) Also a good opportunity to replace the valve cover gasket.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and JoseA
Slapped in a Powertrax No-Slip "drop in" locker.....

It was anything but "drop in" but with cold beer and some pizza we made it happen. Instruction book was for a Dana 30 rear so that made it interesting trying to guess what we were missing.

I haven't really had the chance to really test it out yet in some loose gravel/sand or how it behaves in a tight and twisty trail.
Definitely wasn't excited about pulling the carrier to get this thing installed but that's the way she goes sometimes.

It seems to be OK on the street, near silent when turning to the left but clunks a bit turning right. Not really happy with the final fitment of the new part despite having installed it just like the install manual explained. Both outer pieces shown in the image below seemed to have a bit more play than expected despite being installed correctly so that may be why.

Never got a picture of the locker once it was in unfortunately, summer heat and greasy hands was the cause🥵🥵

View attachment 450736

View attachment 450737

View attachment 450738

They've been shipping the wrong manual with it for some time - #8221003A is the one you need. I think you can download it from their website.

Reactions: AndyA
Loaded it up last night for a quick overnight camping trip. Gonna take my future son in law hiking. I remembered to adjust the rear shocks so I could gauge the ride on my way to work. These shocks are awesome. They handle this extra weight like a boss. It'll be cool to see how they do off road this afternoon.

View attachment 450775

Ahhhh, do you like your future son-in-law???

😬

That’s why he is taking him hiking, see if he can find his way back 😂

Yes, we like him very much. He is very intelligent and a positive and calming influence on our daughter. But yes, he has been dealing with all kinds of jokes since we made these plans.

"One way hike . . ."
"Remember to leave a bread crumb trail . . ."
etc.

Plus some not G rated jokes as well.

The oil sending unit is being a little bastard getting out of the engine block. No combination of adapters and sockets is allowing me to get a good grip on it.

• Sad
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
My LJ is waiting out the new storm in Baja. Hurricane Hillary, spare me the jokes, is far out right now but skirting the west coast, anticipate a lot of rain for us on Mulege on the east coast. Our Mexican friends are moving the Jeep and boat to higher ground today. Plus we left our enclosed trailer down there to move the appliances. Last September’s hurricane put 6’ of water in our house. Insurance covered a new kitchen counter and removable lower cabinets. Hope we don’t have a repeat!

• Wow
The oil sending unit is being a little bastard getting out of the engine block. No combination of adapters and sockets is allowing me to get a good grip on it.

The important thing to remember is not to get frustrated and do something rash that makes the problem worse. Take a break and come back to it refreshed. Don't try to apply a lot of pressure when you only have partial grip. Make sure you are happy with the grip before really cranking on something.

Andy

Wobble extension is what I had to use.

I couldn't get that to work. I just ordered a 1 1/16" wrench from Home Depot. Once they get it ready for pick up, I'll head over there. I got it started in the hole, but all the current tools I have are too much of a pain. I'll pay $17 for a wrench to get this finished.

Reactions: All 4 Wheelin'
The important thing to remember is not to get frustrated and do something rash that makes the problem worse. Take a break and come back to it refreshed. Don't try to apply a lot of pressure when you only have partial grip. Make sure you are happy with the grip before really cranking on something.

Andy

Yeah, I got it started and used my adjustable wrench to get it back on. I just didn't feel comfortable with the lack of grip from it. I ordered a combination wrench and I'll get it finished up later today.

Got any tips for this job? I have the parts to do it but haven't had the motivation to get it started yet.

Taking the valve cover off would be easiest, of course one of the first things I did when I got the Jeep was change the VC gasket, wish I had known about replacing the grommets then. Decided to roll the dice and try to get them out in place. I don't think there's any way you can pull the inlet elbow or PCV elbow out of the grommets, the rubber inside the cover is too hard. I used the stoutest plastic trim removal tool with a bend that I have and a tiny little pry bar under the lip of the grommet. Had to place a 1/4" thick piece of wood on the VC to pry against to give more leverage to the pry tools. It's fussy but with steady pressure and both tools prying side by side the grommet finally slipped out and didn't lose a bit. It was impossible to get the elbows out without cutting the old grommets. The PCV valve flows air but I'll replace it. If your VC gasket is leaking it makes sense to take it off and get 2 things done. I used Dorman grommets and the fit is good and snug, I expect them to last longer than I'll own the Jeep.
IMG_1916.jpg

Last edited:
I logged off work around 12:30ish today. Since then, I have:

1. Put a Lube Locker gasket on the front differential and finished changing the fluid (using a hand pump on a gallon container of 80W-90 is a workout!).
2. Put a Lube Locker gasket on the rear differential and finished changing the fluid.
3. Replace the oil sending unit.
4. Put the thermostat back in the housing, and discovered that my month old t-stat housing is warped.
5. Put trans fluid in the deep trans oil pan. I probably need to put more fluid in there still.
6. Put the skid plate back on and put anti seize on the bolts.

I took it for a test drive around the block. The transmission definitely shifts better, but not super smooth. It got up to operating temperature and the temp held pretty solid in the 200-210 range. The oil pressure gauge now works. I tested out the transfer case and 2H, 4H, and 4L all work.

I've accomplished a lot this weekend so far, and it is only Friday night!

Next up is starting a Prestone+Thermocure flush because the brand new coolant is still very rusty and dirty.