What did you do to your TJ today?

I need to flush the power steering fluid. Yesterday, I pumped out all the fluid in the reservoir and filled it back up with new fluid. I read in these forums to drive it around a bit to circulate the fluid. Then, pump it out again, fill it back up, and you are good to go. How many miles do I need to drive it to properly circulate all the PS fluid in the system? Is 20 enough?

I need to flush the power steering fluid. Yesterday, I pumped out all the fluid in the reservoir and filled it back up with new fluid. I read in these forums to drive it around a bit to circulate the fluid. Then, pump it out again, fill it back up, and you are good to go. How many miles do I need to drive it to properly circulate all the PS fluid in the system? Is 20 enough?

I may be wrong, but I don't think you even need to drive it around. Just turn the steering wheel all the way back and forth several times and it should circulate that way.

When I changed mine out in the past, I sucked out all I could with a turkey baster, filled it back up, turned the wheel like that several times, pulled it back out again, refilled and called it good.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you even need to drive it around. Just turn the steering wheel all the way back and forth several times and it should circulate that way.

When I changed mine out in the past, I sucked out all I could with a turkey baster, filled it back up, turned the wheel like that several times, pulled it back out again, refilled and called it good.

Good enough for me. I actually did 2 drain and refills. The very first one had yellow fluid go in, and black fluid come out. This Jeep has been neglected for awhile. I just did the final fill and the fluid is right at the C line. I can cross another thing off of the list for this Jeep.

Ahh, Ares has an individual torque adapter extension for $20 on Amazon and NAPA has one for $16 with free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DMDMRDH/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CHT...ajLIv9i_45mLx8QNasaAr8JEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&

Thanks for looking around. I did end up taking off the skid plate and getting that particular bolt torque properly now instead of guessing. I'm leaving the skid off for about a day to see if there are any more leaks.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
FF
@DB04RedJeep what is FF spraying?

@MountaineerTom good idea on that. I couldn't easily find an individual piece, I don't want to spend $100 on a full set, and I have a light day today. I'm going to finish up my coffee, wait for the after effects of coffee to kick in, and then go start to drop my skid plate.

FF is Fluid Film. A spray that is applied to the underside of the Jeep to help protect it from the crap they put on the roads in the winter for us salt belt states folks. You do what you have to do to slow down rust happening. Not driving it in the winter would be best, but it's not an option for me.

20230819_123730.jpg

Don’t tell Zorba you were taking cell phone pics and driving.

I wouldn't worry, pretty sure it's one of those internet fakes anyway. That fuel gauge is reading full and he claims to be on the highway, I can't even pull away from the pump and keep it above the dot... :D

Little refresh, replaced full width warn bumper with a stubby hoop bumper and winch both FB marketplace. Few other parts and wiring stuff to button up but better than before. Bumper came from a YJ and before that a diff Jeep. Lower fair lead hole will be covered up by license plate since we’re required to have front in great state of Texas.

6B1A5B84-703C-4EB8-A19C-F253322F498E.jpeg

Of all the damn things that I've done to the Jeep so far, doing this small fix on the sun visor is probably the most annoying.

EDIT: I finally got it to work. I had to use my metal vise instead of my woodworking vise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Just turn the steering wheel all the way back and forth several times and it should circulate that way.

I sucked out all I could with a turkey baster, filled it back up, turned the wheel like that several times, pulled it back out again, refilled and called it good.

That is exactly how I do it. Andy

I can cross another thing off of the list for this Jeep.

I keep a Moleskin notebook that I put the date and mileage of everything in to keep a record. Mostly for my benefit in the future but also will help if/when I sell it. I also print out and keep all receipts in a folder.

For this vehicle I got a yellow notebook for my yellow Jeep. :D

Andy

Last edited:
I couldn't wait until tomorrow to see if the trans oil pan was still leaking or not. So, I put the skid plate back on and took it out for a drive. It put a smile on my face. Was blasting some King Buffalo through the crappy stock speakers. Temp held fine, steering was fine, and transmission shifting was fine.