What did you do to your TJ today?

Seriously, any other ideas for how to fix this trans oil pan leak or track down where the leak is coming from? The first thing that I thought of is to get a Lube Locker gasket, drain the trans oil pan, put the LL gasket on, and then put the oil back in. It is all brand new trans oil.

I just checked. Based upon a strategically placed paper towel, it looks like that the trans oil pan gasket is NOT leaking. The leak is coming from somewhere else in the transmission.

Any suggestions on how to track down this new leak?

Next up, I'm going to tackle replacing the front brake pads. I have the BMB pads. I've watched a couple of videos and this one video puts grease in 3 places: 1) the little groves that the pads sit on 2) under the boots on the calipers and 3) the back of the pads where the pads rest against the calipers. Can I use a single grease for all 3 spots or do I need different kinds of grease for the 3 spots?

I just checked. Based upon a strategically placed paper towel, it looks like that the trans oil pan gasket is NOT leaking. The leak is coming from somewhere else in the transmission.

Any suggestions on how to track down this new leak?

Check first to see if you didn't simply spill some ATF when filling it...

Reactions: AndyA
Rattle-canned my top. First I washed it, then scotch-brited it, then degreased and final rinsed it. Then I shot it with some Duplicolor for wheels that I had 4 cans of on fhe shelf. It's not perfect, but the previous owner painted it with a brush, and stopped painting where he couldn't see it. And he didn't cut in around the windows. It's a huge improvement over what it looked like yesterday. In fact, it went so well, I may just do my flares too!

Before
20230821_091559.jpg

20230821_091618.jpg

After
20230821_105419.jpg

20230821_105427.jpg

Alright, I already had everything out, and the top went so easily that I figured I HAD to do the fender flares. Of course, there is the right way (remove the flares) and the redneck way. Obviously I chose the redneck way. Tape that shit off and get to spraying!🤣
20230821_120003.jpg

20230821_120240.jpg

20230821_121932.jpg

I'm really digging the way they turned out. Really injects some life into the ol' Jeep.
20230821_133513.jpg

20230821_133520.jpg

Alright, I already had everything out, and the top went so easily that I figured I HAD to do the fender flares. Of course, there is the right way (remove the flares) and the redneck way. Obviously I chose the redneck way. Tape that shit off and get to spraying!🤣
View attachment 451779

View attachment 451780

View attachment 451781
I'm really digging the way they turned out. Really injects some life into the ol' Jeep.
View attachment 451782

View attachment 451783

Next pull the Rollpad covers and stick in the wash (usually better when the wife isn’t home…ask me how I know) and hit with the Duplicolor fapric paint and the black/red will really pop.

I HAD to do the fender flares. Of course, there is the right way (remove the flares) and the redneck way. Obviously I chose the redneck way. Tape that shit off and get to spraying

When I sprayed mine on my old Jeep, I bought thin sheets of that Dollar Store colored poster board and slid it behind the flares. I'm too lazy to tape everything up. 🤫

RED JEEP on 32s.jpg

It is 3:51am, I can't sleep, and I'm tempted to go out and put my new BMB pads on the Jeep.

Use your HF headband LED flashlight. (y) Do the break-in procedure where there's no traffic. READ the instructions and do EXACTLY what they tell you. You won't regret it. I would never buy anything except BM brakes for any of my Jeeps. I'm pretty sure @mrblaine makes WJ kits too. I'll be buying that for my wife when the time comes. She says the stock brakes suck. I can't ride with her because of her tailgating issues. She ALWAYS points out how I drive. BM Brakes for the win EVERY TIME.

Last edited:
Use your HF headband LED flashlight. (y) Do the break-in procedure where there's no traffic. READ the instructions and do EXACTLY what they tell you. You won't regret it. I would never buy anything except BM brakes for any of my Jeeps. I'm pretty sure @mrblaine makes WJ kits too. I'll be buying that for my wife when the time comes. She says the stock brakes suck. I can't ride with her because of her tailgating issues. She ALWAYS points out how I drive. BM Brakes for the win EVERY TIME.

I've read the break in process several times. I'm just trying to think of a place near me that has lighter traffic where I can get up to 40mph easily and keep slamming on the brakes.